Author Topic: As the clock ticks, House GOP leaders scramble to find a compromise on immigration  (Read 532 times)

rangerrebew

As the clock ticks, House GOP leaders scramble to find a compromise on immigration

Author: Eliza Collins, USA TODAY
Published: 12:34 PM EDT June 6, 2018
Updated: 5:57 PM EDT June 6, 2018

WASHINGTON — House Republicans are scrambling to find a compromise on immigration legislation that can satisfy conservatives who want to crackdown on illegal immigration and build a wall along the southern border and moderates who want to help people brought into the country illegally as children, known as DREAMers.

They are hoping to avoid a rebellion among GOP moderates who have been working with Democrats on an unusual process to force a vote on the immigration plan they support.

GOP leaders have called for a lengthy meeting with all their members Thursday morning.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/nation-now/as-the-clock-ticks-house-gop-leaders-scramble-to-find-a-compromise-on-immigration/465-0f752a03-fed4-46cf-9c56-cf92989e78fa

Offline Axeslinger

Well, hell, even stupid ol me knows how this is going to go:

The dreamers will be allowed to stay and will be given a path to citizenship, perhaps even immediately, with the definition of “dreamer” being expanded to its most liberal reaches and in exchange the other side will offer up the promise of building a wall and enhanced border security.

And in the end, the Dems will get millions of new voters and we will get nothing but promises that will never come to fruition but our “leaders” will piss down our backs telling us it’s raining and what a great deal for all Americans this is.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Run the clock out on this.
We don' need no steenkin' "compromise".

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Maybe this is a silly thought, but perhaps we should enforce the laws we already have and THEN determine if we need to make changes?

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Maybe this is a silly thought, but perhaps we should enforce the laws we already have and THEN determine if we need to make changes?

Damn!  What a novel idea!  Wonder why we haven't thought of that before?

888high58888 888high58888
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Well, if they were really interested in compromise, they could let the Dreamers who have not had criminal convictions, whether felony or misdemeanor, stay, but FIRST remove chain migration.  I could live with that.

Also, get rid of dual citizenship.  Used to be that way, and should be now.