Author Topic: Muhammad Ali Attorney Calls Trump Pardon 'Unnecessary'  (Read 816 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Muhammad Ali Attorney Calls Trump Pardon 'Unnecessary'
« on: June 09, 2018, 03:12:49 am »
The lawyer said the conviction was overturned so is a pardon even needed? Maybe not.
Muhammad Ali Attorney Calls Trump Pardon 'Unnecessary'

President Donald Trump said Friday he is considering a pardon for the late heavyweight boxing champion Muhammad Ali, who died in 2016 — despite the fact that Ali's conviction for refusal of military service was overturned in 1971.

Trump told reporters Friday that Ali is on a list of 3,000 people he is considering for pardons because, in his words, they "really have been treated unfairly."

Ali's attorney, Ron Tweel, thanked the president, but noted that a pardon was not necessary. He told NBC News: "We appreciate President Trump's sentiment, but a pardon is unnecessary. The U.S. Supreme Court overturned the conviction of Muhammad Ali in a unanimous decision in 1971."

Read more at: https://www.voanews.com/a/muhammad-ali-attorney-calls-donald-trump-pardon-unnecessary/4431082.html

And if one goes on to read this article, Jimmy Carter issued a blanket pardon on his first day in office to all who evaded the draft. So, that would have cleared Ali as well, it seems. I did not know any of this. Maybe it was covered in the forum.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: Muhammad Ali Attorney Calls Trump Pardon 'Unnecessary'
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 05:51:17 am »
But isn't it really the thought which counts?    :cool:
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 06:10:47 am »
But isn't it really the thought which counts?    :cool:

Thought?

None dare call it "thought".
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 10:42:14 am »
The greatest part of Clay's legacy is that as an American, he stood on principle and faced up to the legal consequence of his convictions.  Instead of running to Canada and badmouthing the US, he did his time with grace and continued to love his country.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 12:24:13 pm »
The greatest part of Clay's legacy is that as an American, he stood on principle and faced up to the legal consequence of his convictions.  Instead of running to Canada and badmouthing the US, he did his time with grace and continued to love his country.

Yeah, I'll give him that.  Good point, Hoody.   He wasn't just words,  he was willing to pay the cost.   And having seen the world, he recognized that America is an experiment worth fighting for.   

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 12:32:39 pm »

Not that I want to argue the merits of the conflict, but tell that to the 50K families who lost young men there. 

Furthermore, is fame would have pretty much precluded him seeing any combat.  His presence over there could have been a great morale booster, aka ....in the vein of a USO show.  Instead.......     
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 12:45:34 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.