Author Topic: Daily aspirin found to increase risk of heart attack by 190%  (Read 789 times)

rangerrebew

Daily aspirin found to increase risk of heart attack by 190%

Sunday, March 26, 2017 by: Russel Davis   

(Natural News) Taking aspirin regularly to keep heart disease at bay may do more harm than good, according to a recent study. Researchers at the Southampton University in the U.K. and the Maastricht University in the Netherlands found that daily aspirin intake may lead to increased odds of heart attack.

Researchers examined 30,000 patients with atrial fibrillation – a condition characterized by rapid and often irregular heart beat – and found that patients who took aspirin on a daily basis were 1.9 times as likely to suffer an acute heart attack compared with those who took warfarin,  a vitamin K antagonist. “Oral anticoagulant treatment with vitamin K antagonists has been the cornerstone for the prevention of stroke in patients with atrial fibrillation for decades. We identified an … increased risk of [heart attacks] among current and past aspirin users in comparison with VKAs. There also exists doubt about the usefulness of aspirin in atrial fibrillation. In new guidelines aspirin is no longer included,” said study leader Dr Leo Stolk.

https://www.naturalnews.com/2017-03-26-daily-aspirin-found-to-increase-risk-of-heart-attack-by-190.html

Offline Applewood

Re: Daily aspirin found to increase risk of heart attack by 190%
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 02:34:11 am »
Horse manure.  Just be sure that (a) the cardiologist recommends it and (b) the aspirin is low dose, a/k/a baby aspirin. 

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 10:16:54 am »
Natural news garbage. Rangerrebew's idiot articles are actually going to get people killed.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 11:39:01 am »
 Misleading headline. The study compared patients who had a specific condition requiring blood thinners, not the whole population.  There is no doubt Warfarin does a better job thinning blood than aspirin does.  But the down side is pretty bad.  Warfarin is rat poison and must be meticulously monitored.  There are also numerous side effects.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 12:36:32 pm »
I have no problem with @rangerrebew  Most of the time his articles on health are helpful and informative.  The problem in this case is the source, Natural News.  To me Natural News is the equivalent of the National Enquirer:  Screaming, misleading headlines which often don't match the body of the article, and the article itself contains questionable claims from questionable sources. 

Bottom line is that a patient should trust his/her cardiologist and follow that doctor's advice.  If the cardiologist recommends aspirin, take it.  If not, don't.  Never do as a friend did -- she once decided on her own to "protect her heart" by taking a daily aspirin.  But she decided more is better, so instead of taking a low dose aspirin, she took full strength.  She ended up in the hospital.  Bad idea.

By the way, @massadvj -- I understand there are some newer drugs which claim to be better than Warfarin as a blood thinner.  Once again, this is something to discuss with a doctor (and of course, check to see if insurance will cover). 

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 01:47:38 pm »
By the way, @massadvj -- I understand there are some newer drugs which claim to be better than Warfarin as a blood thinner.  Once again, this is something to discuss with a doctor (and of course, check to see if insurance will cover).

Yes.  When I was caretaking my late wife with ovarian cancer, she was on Warfarin and then another thinning drug for a while.  We found the side effects so bad (especially the frequent nose bleeds) that we finally decided on aspirin and we'll take our chances.

Having been through that, I would say the doctors are not infallible.  Each individual must take charge of his or her own health.  In my wife's case, after 4 operations (including colostomy), two rounds of chemo, and an indescribable loss of dignity, I am not sure whether she would have been better off going the holistic route and avoiding all that.  Yes, she would have died, in all probability.  But some things are worse than death; what the medical community puts cancer patients through is often worse than death.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 01:52:25 pm by massadvj »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 02:38:13 pm »
Horse manure.  Just be sure that (a) the cardiologist recommends it and (b) the aspirin is low dose, a/k/a baby aspirin.

Horse manure, squared.

They come out with this bullshit every now and then.  They're trying to kill us off.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 02:52:53 pm »
It's always something.