Author Topic: Suicide Rates Rise In US Not Just A Mental Health Issue: CDC  (Read 775 times)

rangerrebew

Suicide Rates Rise In US Not Just A Mental Health Issue: CDC
Jun 8, 2018 01:21 AM By Sadhana Bharanidharan

Suicide rates increased in nearly every state with the sole exception of Nevada. Aaron Schwartz/Pexels

Suicide rates experienced a significant rise across most of the United States over recent decades, according to a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Since 1999, half the states have seen suicide rates increase by more than 30 percent.

"Vital Signs: Trends in State Suicide Rates — United States, 1999–2016 and Circumstances Contributing to Suicide — 27 States, 2015" was published in the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report on June 8.

https://www.medicaldaily.com/suicide-rates-rise-us-not-just-mental-health-issue-cdc-424641

Offline Victoria33

Re: Suicide Rates Rise In US Not Just A Mental Health Issue: CDC
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 03:03:33 pm »
@mystery-ak

Just now on TV, Friday: "Award-winning chef, writer and television personality Anthony Bourdain has died in an apparent suicide. He was 61. Bourdain was found dead on Friday morning in his room at a luxury hotel in the tiny village of Kaysersberg in the Alsace region of northeast France. He appeared to have hung himself, according to Christian de Rocquigny du Fayel, the prosecutor of Colmar in Alsace region, southeast of Kaysersberg."

He had a series on CNN for a number of years until now, on Sunday nights.  He traveled across the world filming sights and food/restaurants.  He likely had a number of shows already taped so those will likely continue on CNN until they are all shown.

Being a Licensed Professional Counselor/Psychological Examiner, I specialized in knowing how to deal with a patient with suicidal ideation, how to determine if the patient was serious about killing him/herself.  I had an arrangement with a mental hospital so I could get a patient in there quickly if need be to prevent a suicide.

Anthony Bourdain seemed to have it all - traveling to world destinations, filming, money.  These films showed the viewer places the viewer would never have the opportunity to go, however, the films didn't give any insight into Anthony, the man.  It is like that with every human - what you see on the outside, is different than what is on the inside of a person.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 03:58:37 pm »
@mystery-ak

Just now on TV, Friday: "Award-winning chef, writer and television personality Anthony Bourdain has died in an apparent suicide. He was 61. Bourdain was found dead on Friday morning in his room at a luxury hotel in the tiny village of Kaysersberg in the Alsace region of northeast France. He appeared to have hung himself, according to Christian de Rocquigny du Fayel, the prosecutor of Colmar in Alsace region, southeast of Kaysersberg."

He had a series on CNN for a number of years until now, on Sunday nights.  He traveled across the world filming sights and food/restaurants.  He likely had a number of shows already taped so those will likely continue on CNN until they are all shown.

Being a Licensed Professional Counselor/Psychological Examiner, I specialized in knowing how to deal with a patient with suicidal ideation, how to determine if the patient was serious about killing him/herself.  I had an arrangement with a mental hospital so I could get a patient in there quickly if need be to prevent a suicide.

Anthony Bourdain seemed to have it all - traveling to world destinations, filming, money.  These films showed the viewer places the viewer would never have the opportunity to go, however, the films didn't give any insight into Anthony, the man.  It is like that with every human - what you see on the outside, is different than what is on the inside of a person.

per Dr Seigel[sp] on Fox...he was a recovered heroin addict, alcoholic and suffered from depression..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 04:02:47 pm »

Being a Licensed Professional Counselor/Psychological Examiner.....

Isn't that another way to say school Guidance Counselor?

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 07:04:28 pm »
Isn't that another way to say school Guidance Counselor?

:nono:

That's not a nice thing to say Francis.   :smokin: 

Wish I would have thought of it you little rascal.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 07:16:14 pm »
I've heard a lot of theories about the rising suicide rate, e.g., social isolation from a lack of personal interaction (thanks to technology, perhaps), but my first thought is the possibility that many suicidal people simply don't know why they're here on this earth.

As a Christian, I subscribe to the Westminster Shorter Catechism view.
Q. What is the chief end of man?
A. Man's chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy him forever.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 07:30:28 pm »
It's a hard narrative to control. If you argue :
a) people who commit suicide do it because they are mentally-ill
and
b) homosexuals are more likely to attempt suicide because they are criticized by fundamentalist Christians

The conclusion is :
c) homosexuals are mentally-ill
Countdown to Resignation

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 12:40:29 am »
It's a hard narrative to control. If you argue :
a) people who commit suicide do it because they are mentally-ill
and
b) homosexuals are more likely to attempt suicide because they are criticized by fundamentalist Christians

The conclusion is :
c) homosexuals are mentally-ill
No, homosexuals are more likely to commit suicide because of self loathing, it's just that the mere thought of Christians reminds them.