Author Topic: DOJ Reneges Commitment to Provide Trump Russia Docs to Congress  (Read 611 times)

Offline endicom

Sara A. Carter
Sara Carter
June 7, 2018

The Department of Justice reneged on a commitment to provide access to documents they promised to congressional lawmakers by Thursday morning. Instead, DOJ issued a press release after midnight suggesting they will only meet with a group of select lawmakers to discuss the matter on the same day the North Korea summit opens in Singapore, according to numerous sources and a DOJ statement.

Moreover, the Justice Department also issued new stipulations for briefing congressional members and limited the meeting with only the Gang of Eight, which is comprised of eight leaders within Congress who are briefed on classified intelligence matters.

These sources claim that briefing Gang of Eight lawmakers restricts the dissemination and discussion of the documents that will be taken for review. Although the DOJ contends that the documents are highly sensitive material, in reality, these documents are not considered to contain high-level national security information.

More... https://saraacarter.com/doj-reneges-commitment-to-provide-trump-russia-docs-to-congress/

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: DOJ Reneges Commitment to Provide Trump Russia Docs to Congress
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 10:05:43 pm »
President Trump should immediately order Deputy AG Rosenstein to order the DOJ to provide the docs needed for Congress to exercise its oversight responsibility.  Let Rosenstein then resign if he won't carry out the order.   

Either way,  it's a win - either Congress gets the docs, or Rosenstein is gone without having to be fired and Trump can appoint his successor. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 10:10:09 pm »
These goons are using one of the oldest basketball tactics in the game. While they aren't behind bars, they're ahead in the game, and the longer they can stall, the more the clock runs down. They're hoping for a sea change in Congress this year, so, come November, the heat will be off.

Hell, I might vote Republican just to throw my own monkey wrench in that. Of course, the Congress not forcing the issue also works in the favor of the Deep State, which doubtless has members on both sides of the aisle.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 10:14:48 pm »
President Trump should immediately order Deputy AG Rosenstein to order the DOJ to provide the docs needed for Congress to exercise its oversight responsibility.  Let Rosenstein then resign if he won't carry out the order.   

Either way,  it's a win - either Congress gets the docs, or Rosenstein is gone without having to be fired and Trump can appoint his successor. 

Agreed.  It’s one thing to stick his fingers into the DOJ and FBI investigations, but another thing entirely to force those agencies to comply with the Congressional investigation.

Perhaps Trump doesn’t really want things coming to light???

Offline endicom

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 10:25:31 pm »
These goons are using one of the oldest basketball tactics in the game. While they aren't behind bars, they're ahead in the game, and the longer they can stall, the more the clock runs down. They're hoping for a sea change in Congress this year, so, come November, the heat will be off.

I think that's right. Politically, I don't think Trump can do much until the public is convinced the DOJ critters deserve a frog march. People like Nunes and Grassley seem to be doing what they can to move this along but the ones like Gowdy, Ryan and Rooney are doing what they can to gum up the works.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 10:28:38 pm »

I think that's right. Politically, I don't think Trump can do much until the public is convinced the DOJ critters deserve a frog march. People like Nunes and Grassley seem to be doing what they can to move this along but the ones like Gowdy, Ryan and Rooney are doing what they can to gum up the works.
I like @Jazzhead s Idea of ordering Rosenstein to produce or have the documents produced. That could be a win/win.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline endicom

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 10:34:21 pm »
I like @Jazzhead s Idea of ordering Rosenstein to produce or have the documents produced. That could be a win/win.

But timing may be critical. Too soon and everyone will be screaming about obstruction regardless of how absurd that may be.

Trump is grousing about the stall in the release of the Horowitz report so maybe the release will do the trick.