Author Topic: Nope, no blue wave in California. GOP actually better poised for gains because of the Trump wave  (Read 1065 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
June 6, 2018
Nope, no blue wave in California. GOP actually better poised for gains because of the Trump wave
By Monica Showalter

Well, the big blue wave didn't turn out quite like Democrats thought it would.

The press is reporting they avoided panic, given that most of their candidates secured spots on the top-two on the November midterm ballot. Whoop dee doo. That's not a blue wave, and it's certainly not victory. Instead, what we really saw were signs of Republican strength in a state written off as solid blue, with bigger-than-expected margins for the GOP that all the Trump-haters out there in the establishment could forecast. We also saw a significant rejection of Democratic Party organizational favorites, which is a sign voters are tired of their lockstep voting practices. A third thing we notice is that heavy television spenders, such as Paul Kerr and Sarah Jacobs, didn't make it. This, remember, was what Hillary Clinton did, instead of go to Wisconsin. It still fails.

With contested races, we can expect a lot more ads flooding our airwaves as the November midterms approach. We can also expect Democrats to fight hard, given that California is the linchpin of their master plan to retake Washington.

But there are more bright spots on the Republican side than the Democratic. For one thing, they have opposition, something they never expected. California, remember, is supposed to be the solidest of all blue states. Yeah, sure. And two, President Trump is popular. This election shows that he has coattails, and voters aren't ready to give up on the Trump experiment, which is actually going so well.

Three, and this is a goody, with Republicans on the ballot, it means Democrats will have to fight an issues campaign. Advantage, Republicans. It means that Democrats in both state and federal races are going to be pinned down and forced to answer questions they don't want to answer about illegals, the gas tax (very potent), Obamacare, the GOP tax cut, green excesses, the high cost of housing, the bums ruining the quality of life in cities, and the bullet train. Once Democrats reveal their true positions, they aren't going to find themselves at an advantage. It certainly isn't going to help the large numbers of moderate-type Democrats who were in some of the top-two spots in the downwind races (they will squirm), and it really won't help the Bernie Sanders-style leftists in similar spots, who will be completely open about their positions.

Here are some more reasons for optimism from various races:

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/06/nope_no_blue_wave_in_california_gop_actually_better_poised_for_gains_because_of_the_trump_wave.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Newt Gingrich was on Sean Hannity's radio show yesterday. He was seeing Republican victories all over. Newt's usually realistic, so it made me wonder if he wasn't just a bit too excited. I hope it works out like he was saying.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/06/06/democrats-lose-california-state-senate-supermajority-after-recall-vote.amp.html

Democrats lose California state senate supermajority after recall vote

California Democrats have been denied their supermajority in the state Senate, in a key vote that means Senate Democrats won't hold the two-thirds majority needed to pass tax and fee increases.

Democrats temporarily lost their supermajority in February when a lawmaker accused of sexual misconduct resigned.

They likely would have gotten it back in a special election in August. But then they lost another seat on Tuesday, when voters in an Orange County district recalled Democratic Sen. Josh Newman from office over his vote to raise gas taxes last year.

Former Republican Assemblywoman Ling Ling Chang won the seat.

more at link

Offline dfwgator

If Cox runs with fire in his belly and isn't the typical milquetoast Republican,  I believe he can beat Newsome.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
If Cox runs with fire in his belly and isn't the typical milquetoast Republican,  I believe he can beat Newsome.

There has to be a skeleton in Gavins closet. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline bilo

Not a chance. The Rats are registering illegal aliens who will vote for them in Nov.

What Cox can do is get the Pub base excvited enough to turn out and vote for Pubs down the ballot.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

The big point, as made in the article, is that if democrats are forced to run on issues, they don't have a leg to stand on.

Most Americans despise all the things they are for.  Yes, they can get the wacko vote, the media vote and the Hollywood vote, but most people don't want what they offer.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Maybe not a skeleton.  He is a horn dog but doesn't look like a guy who would have to harass women.

He is a strong advocate of sanctuary cities.  Is that really popular with the average California voter?  That would be a good thing to hit him on.

He is also a big supporter of same-sex marriage but who cares about that?  I mean, I don't think the homosexual vote is a big factor.

What proposals is he gonna offer that will end the nightmare that California has become?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
My local political message is simple: California's problems stem from one party democrat rule for way too long.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I don't know if the GOP can win, but if they can at least be hotly competitive in CA, that means one thing - that the financially broke Democrats are going to have to spend lots of money to defend it.

That means money not going to other places where Dems aren't so solid, meaning Reps holding seats and gaining pickups in more purple areas.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Silly @Wingnut!  You know skeletons only exist in Republican closets! ****slapping
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Silly @Wingnut!  You know skeletons only exist in Republican closets! ****slapping

What the hell was I thinking.    ***suicide***
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline skeeter

Cox is a moderate squish, so while he'd be a distinct improvement over Newsome, the real advantage to having him come in #2 is the democrats now have to waste their limited dough on the ex-underwear model/philanderer's campaign.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 06:27:35 pm by skeeter »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Cox is a moderate squish, so while he'd be a distinct improvement over Newsome, the real advantage to having him come in #2 is the democrats now have to waste their limited dough on the ex-underwear model/philanderer's campaign.

Whoa, @skeeter .  You can't just say stuff like that.  At least not without a picture.