Author Topic: Gavin Newsom and John Cox to Compete in California Election for Governor  (Read 735 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Gavin Newsom and John Cox to Compete in California Election for Governor
NY Times, Jun 6, 2018, Adam Nagourney and Alexander Burns

Gavin Newsom, the Democratic lieutenant governor and former mayor of San Francisco, took a major step Tuesday in his bid to become California’s next governor, capturing one of two spots on the November ballot, according to The Associated Press, as the state moved closer to the end of the era of Gov. Jerry Brown.

John Cox, a Republican businessman backed by President Trump, captured the other spot, setting up what is — at best — a very long-shot bid for Mr. Cox in a decidedly Democratic state where Mr. Trump lost by nearly four million votes.

Mr. Cox’s showing represented a major tactical victory for national Republicans as they seek to protect seven Republican-held congressional seats in California that Democrats are targeting as they try to recapture the House. Republican leaders, including Kevin McCarthy, the House majority leader who comes from central California, had feared that having no Republicans running for a high-profile statewide office would diminish turnout among party voters in the fall.

More:  https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/06/us/politics/california-primary.html

Offline Right_in_Virginia

This is big!  Republicans were supposed to be shutout from the governor's mansion. 

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Now if Independents and GOP'ers who voted for Allen or other conservative candidates will get behind Cox, there's a chance.  And with Josh Newman being recalled, there is no longer a Rat supermajority...
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
This is big!  Republicans were supposed to be shutout from the governor's mansion.

They may still be, but surely many Californians are disgusted by the current condition of their state.  Surely, some of them want a change.

Well, heck a lot of them are escaping as fast as they can.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.

Gavin Newsom purposely sponsored ads encouraging Republicans to vote for Cox.  He thinks Cox will be easier to beat than another Democrat.  Isn't this what Claire McCaskill has done in Missouri?
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Gavin Newsom purposely sponsored ads encouraging Republicans to vote for Cox.  He thinks Cox will be easier to beat than another Democrat.  Isn't this what Claire McCaskill has done in Missouri?
Couldn't say I tune out any commercial I run into, I was totally fed up with all the shiny expensive mailers I had filling my mailbox every day. But the absolute worst were the damn text messages coming into my phone every day. I did learn quickly thought that certain key phrases using a particular type of language stopped the texts immediately.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
Couldn't say I tune out any commercial I run into, I was totally fed up with all the shiny expensive mailers I had filling my mailbox every day. But the absolute worst were the damn text messages coming into my phone every day. I did learn quickly thought that certain key phrases using a particular type of language stopped the texts immediately.

I kept getting text invitations to rallies.  Apparently, once you've turned in your mail-in ballot they're supposed to stop bugging you.  Unfortunately I couldn't do that until yesterday ;(.  Boy, won't November be fun?!
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Frank Cannon

Gavin Newsom purposely sponsored ads encouraging Republicans to vote for Cox.

If that silly San Fran fruit did that, it was very stupid. Rats are incredibly stupid at playing that game.....

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/11/hillary-clinton-2016-donald-trump-214428