Author Topic: China Offers to Buy Nearly $70 Billion of American Goods if U.S. Halts Tariffs  (Read 866 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Hmmmm.   Interesting.  To early to tell but this might be more winning.

By Ana Swanson
June 5, 2018

WASHINGTON — China offered to purchase nearly $70 billion of energy, agricultural and manufactured products from the United States in the first year of a deal that would require the Trump administration to suspend tariffs on Chinese products, a person familiar with the talks said.

The offer, which came during a meeting this weekend in Beijing between Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross and the Chinese economic adviser Liu He, would go only partway toward President Trump’s initial demand that China reduce its $375.2 billion trade surplus with the United States by $200 billion annually. And it leaves untouched other American requests, including that China allow American companies more access to its markets and end practices that the Trump administration and business executives say force companies to transfer valuable intellectual property.

The proposal could fizzle quickly. Chinese officials have said publicly that any agreements would be void if the United States continued with plans to impose tariffs and other restrictions, and American officials have given no indication so far that they intend to halt the tariffs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/05/us/politics/china-trump-trade-tariffs.html

"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline dfwgator

I never thought Trump wanted tariffs, but a good negotiator never takes any option off of the table. 

Offline Concerned

I never thought Trump wanted tariffs, but a good negotiator never takes any option off of the table.

They do if that option actually hurts their stakeholders.

I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"China Offers to Buy Nearly $70 Billion of American Goods if U.S. Halts Tariffs"

I've got a better idea.
Buy $70 billion of goods -with- the tariffs paid.

When your total sales reach $70 billion, we'll rebate 75% of the tariff charges that were levied.

How's that?

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Of course they made that offer. As the story says, the trade deficit is $375.2B.  After that, it will ‘drop’ to $305.2B and we don’t know if that is $70B of things they intended to buy anyway.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline WingNot

Of course they made that offer. As the story says, the trade deficit is $375.2B.  After that, it will ‘drop’ to $305.2B and we don’t know if that is $70B of things they intended to buy anyway.

105 billion more and we will be where trump wants to be.

It is a start.

Don't be a hater.

Offline edpc

105 billion more and we will be where trump wants to be.

It is a start.

Don't be a hater.

Believe it or not, it’s less about how much I like Trump and more about how little I trust the Chinese.

Offline WingNot

Believe it or not, it’s less about how much I like Trump and more about how little I trust the Chinese.

Well I think you will enjoy the show then.  Let it play out in three part harmony.   

Offline edpc

Well I think you will enjoy the show then.  Let it play out in three part harmony.

! No longer available

Offline WingNot

I was thinking Old Fashioned Love Song.   But after further reflection a better song lyric might be:

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 11:06:02 pm by Wingnut »