Author Topic: McConnell cancels Senate's August recess  (Read 4303 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McConnell cancels Senate's August recess
« on: June 05, 2018, 05:32:43 pm »
McConnell cancels Senate's August recess
By Jordain Carney - 06/05/18 01:28 PM EDT

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said on Tuesday that he will cancel the August recess, citing "historic obstruction" by Democrats.

“Due to the historic obstruction by Senate Democrats of the president’s nominees, and the goal of passing appropriations bills prior to the end of the fiscal year, the August recess has been canceled," McConnell said in a statement.

He added that senators would stay in session "to pass legislation, including appropriations bills, and to make additional progress on the president’s nominees.”

The Senate had been expected to leave town on August 3 for a four-week break and not return to Washington until early September, after Labor Day.

But under McConnell's new plan, senators are expected to be out of town for the week of August 6. They will then return to Washington and remain in session for the rest of the month.

Here is McConnell's full statement.

“Due to the historic obstruction by Senate Democrats of the president’s nominees, and the goal of passing appropriations bills prior to the end of the fiscal year, the August recess has been canceled. Senators should expect to remain in session in August to pass legislation, including appropriations bills, and to make additional progress on the president’s nominees.”

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/390784-mcconnell-cancels-senates-august-recess
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: McConnell cancels Senate's August recess
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 05:37:28 pm »
There must be some reason to despise McConnell for this.  Bring the hate Trumpers.

Offline bilo

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 05:41:57 pm »
It's nice to see that there is at least some consequence for not doing their jobs in a timely manner.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline darroll

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 05:42:38 pm »
They are on recess all the time anyway.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 05:44:27 pm »
There must be some reason to despise McConnell for this.  Bring the hate Trumpers.

Something is afoot. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 05:49:50 pm »

Never a reason to despise doing the right thing.  Hope it's the start of a new trend.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 05:56:30 pm »
That’s too bad. Between the congressional recess and no school, it’s the best time to visit and travel around DC.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 05:57:09 pm »
McConnell has been under intense pressure from conservatives, including members of his own caucus, and the White House to cancel at least part of the recess.

I guess even Mitch couldn’t justify a month off given the backlog of nominees milling around in the cloak room.

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 06:00:08 pm »
McConnell has been under intense pressure from conservatives, including members of his own caucus, and the White House to cancel at least part of the recess.

I guess even Mitch couldn’t justify a month off given the backlog of nominees milling around in the cloak room.

Jeez.  Judges are the only thing Trump has going for him.  McConnell nuked the senate to confirm them.  You're really going to be unhappy when the rats get control.

Online libertybele

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 06:07:51 pm »
Something is afoot.

Exactly.  Definitely not typical of the "Turtle" to do the right thing.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 06:08:39 pm »
http://www.nrtoday.com/opinion/columnists/how-mcconnell-is-winning-the-long-game/article_21fc81ab-3922-5c2c-b359-0ac20642fb0b.html

To prevent Republicans from reciprocating with filibusters against Obama’s packing-by-enlargement of the nation’s second-most important court, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit, Democrats changed Senate rules to bar filibusters of judicial nominees other than those for the Supreme Court. McConnell removed that pointless exemption to make possible the confirmation of Neil Gorsuch.

McConnell is amenable to ending filibusters of nominations to executive and judicial positions (the Senate, he says, is “in the personnel business”). But without filibusters of legislation, he says, the nation might have socialized medicine, guaranteed government jobs, card-check workplace unionization, a ban on right-to-work laws, and other afflictions. He notes that since popular election of senators began in 1914, Republicans have never had more than 60 senators. And in the last 100 years, Democrats have simultaneously held the presidency, the House and the Senate for 34 years, Republicans for only 20.

Almost 30 years after the end of his presidency, Ronald Reagan still shapes events because of his nomination of Justice Anthony Kennedy, who often has been 20 percent of a court majority. Three decades from now, McConnell will be shaping the nation through judges who today are in their 40s, some of whom might be destined to be Neil Gorsuch’s colleagues. This is the long game.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 06:17:36 pm »
Exactly.  Definitely not typical of the "Turtle" to do the right thing.

Agreed.  Waiting for the shoe to drop.

Offline edpc

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 07:22:26 pm »
Something is afoot.

If something is up, the White House does not seem to be included. During the daily press briefing, Sanders read a congratulatory statement on McConnell’s decision at the 14:55 mark.

! No longer available
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 07:25:39 pm by edpc »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 07:26:11 pm »
"appropriations bills"  Yeah, right.  Spending taxpayer money seems to be about the only thing these lazy lumps know how to do.    Would be nice if the energy they expend throwing money around could be used to keep their promises, such as repealing Obamacare. 

Offline WingNot

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 07:26:11 pm »

If something is up, the White House does not seem to be included. During the daily press briefing, Sanders read a congratulatory statement on McConnell’s decision.

Just spitballing but:
I figure McCain is hours or maybe  days away from his long awaited  repose in the rotunda.  Mitch wants everyone there to welcome john boy home.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2018, 07:54:00 pm »
Something is afoot.

No recess = no recess appointments.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2018, 09:21:20 pm »
No recess = no recess appointments.
@Cyber Liberty
Wow.  I didn't even think of that.  Interesting.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2018, 09:24:11 pm »
Jeez.  Judges are the only thing Trump has going for him.  McConnell nuked the senate to confirm them.  You're really going to be unhappy when the rats get control.

I will. Won't you?

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2018, 09:26:53 pm »
Let's hope they do more than declare August to be National Wazoo Month and pass a resolution of solidarity with the the struggle of the people of East Southern Middle Outer Zylekia for freedom.
The Republic is lost.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2018, 09:31:09 pm »
So you are saying:  "Up your Wazoo"?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2018, 09:39:19 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

It occurs to me...Trump wants to sack Sessions and Rosenswine, and cancelling the recess precludes his replacing Sessions with a recess appointment.  The Senators have said they won't confirm anybody Trump nominates to replace Sessions.

McConnell strikes again, on behalf of the Swamp.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline edpc

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2018, 09:42:27 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

Well, if the president had any plans for making a recess appointment, you would think they’d be less than happy about the decision. However, they released a positive statement about it this afternoon.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 09:48:38 pm »

Well, if the president had any plans for making a recess appointment, you would think they’d be less than happy about the decision. However, they released a positive statement about it this afternoon.

What did they say?  Do you believe "them?" 
I will NOT comply.

Offline edpc

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2018, 09:53:01 pm »
What did they say?  Do you believe "them?"

See post 12 and listen for yourself. You bring up a good point, since Sanders has made a fool out of herself with statements before.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2018, 09:53:36 pm »
If trump was going to make "recess appointments" he would have been tweeting it up for days now to force Mitchie poo.   

I ain't buying that excuse.  The post turtle is up to something.