Author Topic: Trump: 'I have the absolute right to pardon myself'  (Read 17775 times)

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: Trump: 'I have the absolute right to pardon myself'
« Reply #125 on: June 05, 2018, 03:40:03 pm »
@INVAR
And you keep taking the bait

:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

Well you have your entertainment reward then.

So when you get all pissy like you do when we Conservatives refuse to get all mad and outraged over all the "unfair" treatment your president is getting, you can piss up that rope.

Trump DESERVES everything he is receiving from the media and the Oligarchy.

He stokes it.  He chummed for it.  He deserves it.

Severed mannequin heads and all.   I got no sympathy for him.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline libertybele

« Reply #126 on: June 05, 2018, 04:06:05 pm »
Cruz ran the dirtiest campaign I ever saw. I lost a lot of respect for him once I realized what a dirty
lying phony he was.

??? Enlighten me.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #127 on: June 05, 2018, 04:08:22 pm »
??? Enlighten me.

Just a guess, but it may be a reference to the Ben Carson thing.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #128 on: June 05, 2018, 04:09:02 pm »
??? Enlighten me.

Oh, don't encourage him.  He digs up these tired, old, discredited memes that show how evil Ted Cruz is, no matter how many times he's shown to be wrong.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #129 on: June 05, 2018, 04:14:02 pm »
??? Enlighten me.

@libertybele here you're gonna need some hipwaders his "explanation"

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline libertybele

« Reply #130 on: June 05, 2018, 04:29:41 pm »
OMG!!! The MSM is reporting that Cruz was silent for ..... (drum roll).... a whopping 18 (yes 18) seconds before he replied.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/06/04/ted-cruz-18-seconds-speechless-trump-pardon-question-ebof.cnn

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline edpc

« Reply #131 on: June 05, 2018, 04:33:23 pm »
OMG!!! The MSM is reporting that Cruz was silent for ..... (drum roll).... a whopping 18 (yes 18) seconds before he replied.

Shades of the 18 minute gap in the Nixon tapes.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #132 on: June 05, 2018, 04:34:52 pm »

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/06/04/ted-cruz-18-seconds-speechless-trump-pardon-question-ebof.cnn

He was walking thru the hallways when they asked.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #133 on: June 05, 2018, 04:36:19 pm »

Yes ... but 18 SECONDS??  How stupid to even report such crap!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #134 on: June 05, 2018, 04:46:59 pm »

And, because he's a thoughtful type of person and doesn't just shoot from the hip.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #135 on: June 05, 2018, 04:51:35 pm »
Yes ... but 18 SECONDS??  How stupid to even report such crap!

Shouldn't be surprised about this...you're talking about the same media that made an issue out of Marco Rubio pausing to take a drink of water before continuing some remarks he was making on TV.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline edpc

« Reply #136 on: June 05, 2018, 04:56:55 pm »
Shouldn't be surprised about this...you're talking about the same media that made an issue out of Marco Rubio pausing to take a drink of water before continuing some remarks he was making on TV.

Still not as funny as this…..

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #137 on: June 05, 2018, 04:59:35 pm »

Still not as funny as this…..

@edpc
well its not as good as making fun of beat up women but heh you cant do that all the time
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline edpc

« Reply #138 on: June 05, 2018, 05:09:19 pm »
well its not as good as making fun of beat up women but heh you cant do that all the time.

Says Captain Decorum, joining the fun over in the Kate Spade suicide thread.  You can always be relied upon to beclown yourself.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #139 on: June 08, 2018, 03:05:19 am »
@Mesaclone 
cc @Maj. Bill Martin
@Weird Tolkienish Figure
@Cyber Liberty
@INVAR
@Smokin Joe

Let me say...thank goodness for Bill Martin. You are an island of sanity in a sea of dimwitted, emotionally driven, fact deprived absurdities in this thread.

The presidential power to pardon any American is absolute AS PER the Constitution itself. The President and his lawyer simply stated this fact.

Let me say at the outset that I respect Maj. Bill.  He has frequently made good contributions on this forum, for which I am sincerely grateful.  However, if you think you have the final in the present controversy word, you are dead wrong.  Heck, everything in your argument is wrong, Mesaclone. 

Although I confess that I have not yet been able to read the memo from the DOJ to President Nixon in 1974, suffice it to say that that DOJ position agrees with my own bottom-line position:  a POTUS cannot pardon himself.

As I understand it, that DOJ memo was not a discussion of any applicable court precedent, but so what?  The very fact that the 1974 DOJ memo maintains that the POTUS does not have the right to self-pardon destroys the snarky claims by some of TBR’s Trumpers that the POTUS obviously has the absolute right to pardon himself.  So, if you want to scoff at me, please notice that I am scoffing right back at you.  (Don’t be misled by the fact that I am so civil. [LOL])

By the same token, I am not impressed in the least by the claim that a number of legal scholars agree with you.  It turns out that a fair number of “legal scholars” often prove to be spiritually dense when they try to interpret the Constitution.  Even those who are usually correct in their reading of the Constitution can sometimes be horribly wrong in the heat of an argument.

Let me illustrate:  I generally like Mark Levin (quite a lot, in fact), but I think his claim that our POTUS clearly has the right to self-pardon--is actually PREPOSTEROUS.

Although Mark seems to be following a normal, lawyerly way of parsing the language of the Constitution to “establish” his interpretation, that approach is sometimes miserably wrong.  As I am fully prepared to prove, Levin’s too narrowly “logical” reading definitely does not fit what may be readily demonstrated as the Framer’s intent in their language.  Levin has been too busy looking for a grammatical loophole that a POTUS can jump through if he ever winds up needing to escape JUSTICE (among other things, perhaps).  That bizarre “loophole-seeking” approach, masquerading as fastidious exegesis, dishonors our Constitution and, by the same token, dishonors the Framers who wrote it.

In short, the standard, lawyerly approach that Levin is using is dangerous garbage.  It’s a big part of how our nation has gotten so messed up over the decades (and now going on centuries).   One of the very worst precedent-setting rulings by the SCOTUS was in the eminent domain case a few years ago.  Our Framers would be appalled to see how the doctrine of eminent domain has gotten twisted against private property rights. (Oh, great.  Now, the correct doctrine of eminent domain, the one that genuinely respects private property, has been forever overturned by an asinine SCOTUS precedent!)

My point here is that the anti-Originalist mindset of many if not most lawyers (including many if not most judges, I’m afraid) has been wickedly eroding our Constitution by precisely the sort of approach that Levin is taking.  Levin is a pretty good lawyer, but he has defaulted to pretty bad lawyering in the present case
Why does this sometimes happen even to a great guy like Levin?  It’s partly because Mark is trying too hard to support Trump and Trump’s legal team. As a related problem, it turns out that people (which noun generally includes lawyers [ha!]) ultimately believe only what they want to believe—even if what they want to believe is nonsense.

It goes almost without saying that lawyers will often “find” arguments that appear (to them, at least) to support their hopeful presuppositions for their clients—even when the arguments that they “find” are completely specious.  Levin has unfortunately been so determined to support the badly persecuted Trump team in the matter of the Mueller witch hunt that he has not noticed the sundry fatal flaws in his argument.

Mark is likely impressed with the simplicity of his argument;  sadly, he should have noticed that his argument is too simplistic to be correct.  To make matters worse, Mark exacerbates his own confusion by presenting his specious argument adamantly—thereby insinuating, at the very least, that if you don’t agree with his wonderfully simple argument, then you are a stubborn NeverTrumper or a Constitution-despising dunce or, more likely, both.  (I’m afraid that Mark is so pumped up that he has lost the ability to think clearly, to be objective.)

By the way, a great many lawyers (possibly including Levin?) are far too willing to intimidate people into agreeing with them—e.g., pressing them very hard to marvel at the simplicity of the lawyer’s impressively blunt, impressively dogmatic argument rather than recoiling at it as too simplistic (and too hot-headed?) to be trusted.

This sort of manipulative drama is one reason why courtrooms are often circuses.  The judicial theory of courtroom trials holds that the extremely adversarial nature of a trial is the best way of guaranteeing that the Truth will come out;  however, some of the lawyers I have known have lamented that the opposite result is very often the case.  In the present situation, I’m concerned that the clamor on the present TBR thread—mainly a clash between Trumpers versus NeverTrumpers—will leave many of the Constitutional amateurs on TBR thinking Levin is surely correct--whereas he is most certainly wrong.

Again, I am not impressed that the Great One (Levin, not Trump!) has declared that the President’s right to self-pardon is essentially explicit in the Constitution.  Well, as you know, Levin's argument is from the Constitution's Pardon Clause, which says that the POTUS can pardon any person for a crime--and since the POTUS is a person, that "surely" allows the POTUS to pardon himself.  But with all due respect to Levin—and that’s considerable respect, indeed—his reasoning is just snaky, legalistic nonsense.  I am guessing that it’s the single worst blunder he has ever made in Constitutional interpretation.  Perhaps I am being too charitable, but I frankly cannot imagine Levin making a worse mistake in handling the Constitution.

(Constitutional issues aside, by the way, Mark’s mistake in the present matter is not the first really bad mistake Mark has made in recent years.  I am now referring to the fact that Mark has repeatedly declared that Obama was born in Hawaii—as though this were a settled matter.  [It suited Mark to refuse even to consider the mountain of evidence to the contrary—preferring rather to disparage Birthers, as I recall.]  When Trump finally prosecutes Obama for the birthplace fraud, as I am convinced that Trump will, Levin is going to be badly embarrassed.  [So will our esteemed conservative pundit Rush Limbaugh, who is also wrong about the Constitutionality of self-pardoning by a POTUS.  The moral of the larger story that I am recounting is, of course, that some of our best guys make shockingly bad mistakes—often involving herd stupidity, I think.])

Anyway, you need to re-read Oceander’s Post #52 and my own Post # 55.  These posts, which you did not really address, actually crush Levin’s claim, my TBR friend.

Oceander's reductio ad absurdum argument, cited above, is hereby offered just for starters in the debate.  Hilariously, it gets even worse for you when we delve further.  You will discover that the already crushed position of Trump's legal team gets ground to powder.

The good news for Trump in all of this is that the correct position—i.e., the position that the POTUS cannot pardon himself—surprisingly but rather massively buttresses the important claim that Mueller cannot indict him.  Period.  (As I will demonstrate in a later post or two, that very important position becomes a slam dunk as soon as you quit making the distracting and utterly repugnant claim that a POTUS is ultimately above the law.  [For now, read my Post #77 and Post #82 to see why I say that the legal theory advanced by Trump’s lawyers is both distracting and repugnant.])

In my forthcoming posts, I will prove beyond any doubt whatsoever that a sitting POTUS cannot be indicted and simultaneously prove that a sitting POTUS cannot pardon himself for anything whatsoever.  These two matters are Constitutionally interlocking in ways that the loudest legal scholars appearing on camera and on the radio haven’t even noticed.

(Here’s my concluding teaser:  Trump’s lawyers evidently sensed a connection of some kind between these two matters but didn’t elucidate the connection correctly—because they stupidly negated one of the two premises.  [Oooops.]) 

See you around soon, my TBR friend.   
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 04:00:53 pm by the_doc »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #140 on: June 08, 2018, 10:33:31 am »
Excellent post, @the_doc.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #141 on: June 08, 2018, 02:06:27 pm »
Good discussion on the pardon issue, but I'm actually with @the_doc on this.

The carving out of impeachment from the pardon power is sort of a red herring.   I think a lot of people hear "impeachment", think "the President", and assume that the carving out of impeachment from the pardon power refers to the President.  And therefore, implies that the rest of the pardon power must apply to him personally as well.  But impeachment is not limited to the President.  According to the Constitution, Impeachment applies to the President, Vice-President, and "other Civil Officers of the United States", including judges.  So, I think the carving out of impeachment was meant to prevent the President from trying to stop the removal of those other government officials by Congress.  He might pardon them for their crimes, but he can't prevent Congress from removing them.

In other words, I don't think the exclusion of impeachment from the pardon power implies anything about the President's power to pardon himself.  I think that is a sui generis question, in that we have to ask not "does the pardon power apply to the President himself", but rather, "what was the common law history/background of the pardon power, such that we can try to understand what that power meant to the Framers when they drafted the Constitution?"

I don't think there is anything in English history, common-law or otherwise, implying that the King (who held the pardon power) could never be held accountable if he was removed from power.  English history is full of monarchs who were subsequently punished or imprisoned after being given the boot.  And I just find it extremely hard to fathom that the Framers would have deliberately decided to make the President immune from prosecution for any criminal act, no matter how vile, that he committed while in office.  It seems extreme, nonsensical, and not at all in keeping with the other ideals in our Constitution.

@Mesaclone - Zod help me, but I'm actually about to side with @INVAR....

It legalizes absolutely nothing. And this is not about extortion, or murder, or kidnapping or any non-political criminal action....what you do NOT do is attempt to prosecute prior Presidential administrations and/or defeated Presidential campaigns. Their actions are chastized by the voters, if you criminalize political activity you invite instability and 3rd world style governance by retribution. What you DO, is to investigate and fully expose actions to the public scrutiny...from there, it is the job of voters to eliminate corruption and lawlessness. If they chose not to do so, than we will have corruption...and there is no criminalization of political activity that could ever stop it. The integrity of government rests in the ethical hands of those who vote.

You're wrong.   :tongue2:

Look, your own argument is that there is no language in the Constitution limiting the President's pardon power, and therefore it applies just as much to himself as to everyone else.  Right?

If that is the case, then @INVAR is at least partially right.  Even though this particular kerfluffle with Trump pertains to "crimes" that are just basically just political, your argument is that the President's pardon power is not limited.  Therefore, a President could commit a common crime in the federal district, or on federal property -- not within the jurisdiction of any state -- and pardon himself. That would include murder under 18 U.S. Code § 1111, or rape 18 U.S. Code § 2241.  You might say "that's not what this is about", but the power for which you are arguing absolutely does make it about those things as well.   Unless you're arguing that the Constitution permits the President to pardon himself for "political" crimes, but not common ones, in which case the lack of such a distinction in the text is jarring.

Republican Rome fell, in part, due to neverending legal prosecutions of men who had served in Executive positions...Governorships and in the Curule chair. Caesar crossed the Rubicon because the Senate would not grant him immunity from the lawsuits and prosecutions of his Senatorial opponents...he repeatedly offered to lay down arms and surrender power if the Senate was willing to forego such actions. This is relevant, because our current trend in criminalizing political opponents is a big step down that road to true dictatorship...this is deeply relevant in today's context. For example, while I deeply dislike Hillary and believe Obama violated the law in using the FBI/CIA as a political weapon against the opposing party...it is important that we NEVER attempt to prosecute, much less convict, either of them. Their actions should be investigated and fully exposed, and a full pardon then immediately issued...because down the road of prosecuting defeated political opponents and/or criminalizing the political acts of sitting Presidents...lies the collapse of our Republic.

The law must never be used to punish political enemies...even when they are genuinely guilty of political illegalities (capital crimes like murder and such do not fall into this category of course). Our political battles MUST be restricted to the arena of electoral politics...if we fail in this as a nation, we will not long maintain our Republic, much as the Romans lost theirs.

That's a very good, well-stated justification for why a new President should pardon his predecessor, and not criminally prosecute for the official acts the predecessor may have committed in officer.  I don't think it's a sufficient justification to give a President the power to pardon himself for common crimes, like murder, rape, robbery, or assault.

I think Federalist No. 74 makes this clear.  In his discussion of the pardon power, Hamilton justifies it by saying that in some cases, the criminal law is harsh, that mercy is appropriate, and that it is best for one man to have the power to grant that mercy.  Here is the operative language:

He is also to be authorized to grant "reprieves and pardons for offenses against the United States, EXCEPT IN CASES OF IMPEACHMENT.'' Humanity and good policy conspire to dictate, that the benign prerogative of pardoning should be as little as possible fettered or embarrassed. The criminal code of every country partakes so much of necessary severity, that without an easy access to exceptions in favor of unfortunate guilt, justice would wear a countenance too sanguinary and cruel. As the sense of responsibility is always strongest, in proportion as it is undivided, it may be inferred that a single man would be most ready to attend to the force of those motives which might plead for a mitigation of the rigor of the law, and least apt to yield to considerations which were calculated to shelter a fit object of its vengeance. The reflection that the fate of a fellow-creature depended on his sole fiat, would naturally inspire scrupulousness and caution; the dread of being accused of weakness or connivance, would beget equal circumspection, though of a different kind. On the other hand, as men generally derive confidence from their numbers, they might often encourage each other in an act of obduracy, and might be less sensible to the apprehension of suspicion or censure for an injudicious or affected clemency.  On these accounts, one man appears to be a more eligible dispenser of the mercy of government, than a body of men.

And that's basically it.  It is expressly intended to be an act of mercy for a fellow creature.  But pardoning yourself has absolutely nothing to do with mercy.  Nor is the President pardoning himself even an act  towards a "fellow creature".  It's an act that benefits himself only.

There is no hint, at all, in Federalist No. 74 that the pardon power was meant to prevent the sins of Ancient Rome that you described, and it strikes me as odd that something as significant as a President being able to pardon himself didn't even get the slightest mention in the Federalist Paper that defended the pardon power. If they actually intended for him to pardon himself, you'd think they'd have mentioned at least some of the argument you did, rather than limiting themselves only towards the concept of exercising mercy towards other people. 

So like I said, I'm with @the_doc on this one.  I think I see where he is going with the argument that the self-pardon power is inconsistent with the idea that a sitting president cannot be indicted, and I look forward to reading that.  But a good discussion anyway, and absolutely nothing wrong with Trump advancing that legal argument as a way to pressure Mueller.  Though politically, it's a stinker.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 03:03:01 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #142 on: June 08, 2018, 02:10:03 pm »

The carving out of impeachment from the pardon power is sort of a red herring.   I think a lot of people hear "impeachment", think "the President", and assume that the carving out of impeachment from the pardon power refers to the President.  And therefore, implies that the rest of the pardon power must apply to him personally as well.  But impeachment is not limited to the President.  According to the Constitution, Impeachment applies to the President, Vice-President, and "other Civil Officers of the United States", including judges.  So, I think the carving out of impeachment was meant to prevent the President from trying to stop the removal of those other government officials by Congress.  He might pardon them for their crimes, but he can't prevent Congress from removing them.

In other words, I don't think the exclusion of impeachment from the pardon power implies anything about the President's power to pardon himself.  I think that is a sui generis question, in that we have to ask not "does the pardon power apply to the President himself", but rather, "what was the common law history/background of the pardon power, such that we can try to understand what that power meant to the Framers when they drafted the Constitution?"

I don't think there is anything in English history, common-law or otherwise, implying that the King (who held the pardon power) could never be held accountable if he was removed from power.  English history is full of monarchs who were subsequently punished or imprisoned after being given the boot.  And I just find it extremely hard to fathom that the Framers would have deliberately decided to make the President immune from prosecution for any criminal act, no matter how vile, that he committed while in office.  It seems extreme, nonsensical, and not at all in keeping with the other ideals in our Constitution.

I agree.  The President can pardon people for federal crimes.  He/she cannot stop or pardon impeachment. 

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #143 on: June 08, 2018, 02:31:38 pm »
Trump: 'I have the absolute right to pardon myself'

So much for avoiding the appearance of evil.  As I said before, with statements like these, Trump is handing his Democrat enemies the rope they are going to politically hang him with.

Especially in an institution where 'the seriousness of the charge' is all that matters to crucify someone in the court of public opinion.

But hey - if sowing absolute chaos is the intention, then Trump succeeds in doing just that.

And if he actually does try to 'pardon himself', he will have destroyed his own presidency and committed suicide by Congress - or - he is fashioning himself into a law unto himself.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #144 on: June 08, 2018, 09:58:32 pm »

@Mesaclone - Zod help me, but I'm actually about to side with @INVAR....

You're wrong.   :tongue2:

Look, your own argument is that there is no language in the Constitution limiting the President's pardon power, and therefore it applies just as much to himself as to everyone else.  Right?

If that is the case, then @INVAR is at least partially right.  Even though this particular kerfluffle with Trump pertains to "crimes" that are just basically just political, your argument is that the President's pardon power is not limited.  Therefore, a President could commit a common crime in the federal district, or on federal property -- not within the jurisdiction of any state -- and pardon himself. That would include murder under 18 U.S. Code § 1111, or rape 18 U.S. Code § 2241.  You might say "that's not what this is about", but the power for which you are arguing absolutely does make it about those things as well.   Unless you're arguing that the Constitution permits the President to pardon himself for "political" crimes, but not common ones, in which case the lack of such a distinction in the text is jarring.

That's a very good, well-stated justification for why a new President should pardon his predecessor, and not criminally prosecute for the official acts the predecessor may have committed in officer.  I don't think it's a sufficient justification to give a President the power to pardon himself for common crimes, like murder, rape, robbery, or assault.

I think Federalist No. 74 makes this clear.  In his discussion of the pardon power, Hamilton justifies it by saying that in some cases, the criminal law is harsh, that mercy is appropriate, and that it is best for one man to have the power to grant that mercy.  Here is the operative language:

He is also to be authorized to grant "reprieves and pardons for offenses against the United States, EXCEPT IN CASES OF IMPEACHMENT.'' Humanity and good policy conspire to dictate, that the benign prerogative of pardoning should be as little as possible fettered or embarrassed. The criminal code of every country partakes so much of necessary severity, that without an easy access to exceptions in favor of unfortunate guilt, justice would wear a countenance too sanguinary and cruel. As the sense of responsibility is always strongest, in proportion as it is undivided, it may be inferred that a single man would be most ready to attend to the force of those motives which might plead for a mitigation of the rigor of the law, and least apt to yield to considerations which were calculated to shelter a fit object of its vengeance. The reflection that the fate of a fellow-creature depended on his sole fiat, would naturally inspire scrupulousness and caution; the dread of being accused of weakness or connivance, would beget equal circumspection, though of a different kind. On the other hand, as men generally derive confidence from their numbers, they might often encourage each other in an act of obduracy, and might be less sensible to the apprehension of suspicion or censure for an injudicious or affected clemency.  On these accounts, one man appears to be a more eligible dispenser of the mercy of government, than a body of men.

And that's basically it.  It is expressly intended to be an act of mercy for a fellow creature.  But pardoning yourself has absolutely nothing to do with mercy.  Nor is the President pardoning himself even an act  towards a "fellow creature".  It's an act that benefits himself only.

There is no hint, at all, in Federalist No. 74 that the pardon power was meant to prevent the sins of Ancient Rome that you described, and it strikes me as odd that something as significant as a President being able to pardon himself didn't even get the slightest mention in the Federalist Paper that defended the pardon power. If they actually intended for him to pardon himself, you'd think they'd have mentioned at least some of the argument you did, rather than limiting themselves only towards the concept of exercising mercy towards other people. 

So like I said, I'm with @the_doc on this one.  I think I see where he is going with the argument that the self-pardon power is inconsistent with the idea that a sitting president cannot be indicted, and I look forward to reading that.  But a good discussion anyway, and absolutely nothing wrong with Trump advancing that legal argument as a way to pressure Mueller.  Though politically, it's a stinker.

Impressive arguments and I particularly find your citation of Hamilton’s argument to be persuasive. Let me say then that you’ve brought me around to a new position on this, and I now agree with your view that the pardon power, while absolute in its application to others, is not self applicable to the President himself. While it is a close call, I concur with you and Hamilton that the purpose of the pardon power is to bestow mercy and/or mitigation of overly harsh justice...and that, while this power quite rightly rests in the singular hands of the Executive, it’s purpose is universal ONLY in its projection of those qualities and not in their self directed potentialities.

In short, doc and Bill are correct and my view was wrong.

Frankly, I find few things more rewarding than an argument so well asserted that it forces me to accept a new and more defensible perspective. Thanks to both of you gentleman for a great discussion.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #145 on: June 08, 2018, 10:10:57 pm »
I want to thank all of you guys for a well-thought out discussion containing no hate, no vulgarity and no tawdry pictures.

Way to go !
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #146 on: June 08, 2018, 10:39:59 pm »
I want to thank all of you guys for a well-thought out discussion containing no hate, no vulgarity and no tawdry pictures.

Way to go !

Ditto what Emjay said!

Offline the_doc

« Reply #147 on: June 09, 2018, 12:52:07 am »
@Mesaclone
@Maj. Bill Martin
@Oceander
@Weird Tolkienish Figure
@Emjay
@Sanguine

Impressive arguments and I particularly find your citation of Hamilton’s argument to be persuasive. Let me say then that you’ve brought me around to a new position on this, and I now agree with your view that the pardon power, while absolute in its application to others, is not self applicable to the President himself. While it is a close call, I concur with you and Hamilton that the purpose of the pardon power is to bestow mercy and/or mitigation of overly harsh justice...and that, while this power quite rightly rests in the singular hands of the Executive, it’s purpose is universal ONLY in its projection of those qualities and not in their self directed potentialities.

In short, doc and Bill are correct and my view was wrong.

Frankly, I find few things more rewarding than an argument so well asserted that it forces me to accept a new and more defensible perspective. Thanks to both of you gentleman for a great discussion.

Welcome to my own TBR BFF list! 

You are actually one of the better posters here, in my opinion.  You slogged through some heavy stuff in a discussion that a lot of other folks can't handle very well.

(I apologize if my polemical retorts were quite a bit crustier than Maj. Bill Martin's.  He is probably the better gentleman most of the time [LOL again.]   I am no lawyer--and I wouldn't care to take up that career--but I do recognize that there are some really good ones in America, even on our little forum.)

I will walk us all through my promised proof of my two-pronged thesis as soon as I get a chance.  I think you will find it pretty interesting as I trace out our Framers' thinking in a bit more  detail.  Maj. Bill has already brought out some of this stuff from Federalist Paper #74, but there is even more to consider apart from Hamilton's words.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #148 on: June 09, 2018, 02:53:35 pm »
I'm all about the Federalist papers, as they are gift that never stops informing my/our understanding of the Constitution...as a self professed Originalist, I take every word from these works as relevant. I've read them all, but admit its been many years and my familiarity is lacking on a number of topics...so I look forward to your treatise on the subject.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #149 on: June 09, 2018, 03:31:02 pm »
I'm all about the Federalist papers, as they are gift that never stops informing my/our understanding of the Constitution...as a self professed Originalist, I take every word from these works as relevant. I've read them all, but admit its been many years and my familiarity is lacking on a number of topics...so I look forward to your treatise on the subject.

Yes, I look forward to it too, @the_doc.