Author Topic: Trump: 'I have the absolute right to pardon myself'  (Read 17768 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Trump: 'I have the absolute right to pardon myself'
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2018, 03:03:50 pm »
Um, no. Impeachment and Removal are final.
The Republic is lost.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2018, 03:08:07 pm »
If he's pardoning himself then he's a dictator, period.

I find it fascinating that the people who would have gone batshit crazy in outrage if Obama had done that - are now jumping through twisted hoops of logic to justify Trump doing it.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2018, 03:11:11 pm »
I find it fascinating that the people who would have gone batshit crazy in outrage if Obama had done that - are now jumping through twisted hoops of logic to justify Trump doing it.

@INVAR
Really, you know of someone here who actually defended Obama?  Or are you just making stuff up again?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2018, 03:13:42 pm »
@INVAR
Really, you know of someone here who actually defended Obama?  Or are you just making stuff up again?

You have a deliberate and willfully moronic inability to read and comprehend.

Re-read what I wrote, and maybe ask someone else what it means if you think I said anyone here defended Obama, instead of twisting what I wrote to create a shitstorm.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2018, 03:17:30 pm »

Yup.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2018, 03:22:50 pm »
If he's pardoning himself then he's a dictator, period.

I don't get this.  He can be removed by Congress via impeachment and conviction at any time, regardless of whether he pardons himself for an underlying crime.  And if he can be removed by Congress...how is he a dictator?

The argument he is making is a technical legal argument, being made for a very technical legal purpose.  It's being blown out of proportion by people who want to be able to scream "See!  I told you so!"

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2018, 03:24:52 pm »
@INVAR
@INVAR @driftdiver
For me it's like waking up in a never ending twilight zone episode where words mean nothing and the devil has the best words.  And you say to yourself...these people made sense to me 2 years ago.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 03:27:09 pm by Once-Ler »

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2018, 03:30:52 pm »
@INVAR @driftdiver
It's like waking up in a never ending twilight zone episode where words mean nothing and the devil has the best words.  And you say to yourself...these people made sense to me 2 years ago.

@Once-Ler @INVAR

You don't like Trump, we get it. 

You have zero evidence that he's committed a crime.  Yet you've already decided he needs to be impeached.

Yet you lose your mind at the idea he could pardon himself .... for a crime he hasn't committed, that he hasn't been charged with, that there is no evidence of.   That even if there was evidence, its not a crime to begin with (obstruction).

You call him a dictator and you are breathless at the thought of removing him from office, you don't even care who replaces him.

You NTs and leftists are the ones guilty of a conspiracy and of illegally trying to remove a duly elected President.   Talk about collusion.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2018, 03:31:44 pm »
I don't get this.  He can be removed by Congress via impeachment and conviction at any time, regardless of whether he pardons himself for an underlying crime.  And if he can be removed by Congress...how is he a dictator?

The argument he is making is a technical legal argument, being made for a very technical legal purpose.  It's being blown out of proportion by people who want to be able to scream "See!  I told you so!"

@Maj. Bill Martin
Because impeachment and dictator are the talking points of the day.

• Technical
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2018, 03:34:59 pm »

Maybe I am misconstruing your argument? Is your argument that if Trump pardons himself, he should be impeached then?

Would you be ok if Obama pardoned himself? or said this?

I would suspect no, but Trumpists have been managing all sorts of contortions of truth lately.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2018, 03:38:56 pm »
Maybe I am misconstruing your argument? Is your argument that if Trump pardons himself, he should be impeached then?

Would you be ok if Obama pardoned himself? or said this?

I would suspect no, but Trumpists have been managing all sorts of contortions of truth lately.

@Weird Tolkienish Figure
yet again with the insults.

Nobody has said he SHOULD pardon himself.  They've simply said he COULD.

Kinda silly to fight about this since he hasn't even been charged with a crime yet, despite all those people trying to frame him

• Technical
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2018, 03:39:30 pm »

Offline driftdiver

• Technical
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2018, 03:46:01 pm »
@Weird Tolkienish Figure
"Trumpists "

How is that an insult? It was not intended as an insult.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2018, 03:47:29 pm »
@Once-Ler @INVAR

You have zero evidence that he's committed a crime.  Yet you've already decided he needs to be impeached.

Yet you lose your mind at the idea he could pardon himself .... for a crime he hasn't committed, that he hasn't been charged with, that there is no evidence of.   That even if there was evidence, its not a crime to begin with (obstruction).

You call him a dictator and you are breathless at the thought of removing him from office, you don't even care who replaces him.

You NTs and leftists are the ones guilty of a conspiracy and of illegally trying to remove a duly elected President.   Talk about collusion.
@driftdiver
You see right through me except a few points.  I have never called Trump a dictator.  I have called him a clown and inept.  His followers wish for a dictator, but Trump is a very weak and vain man, and I would welcome President Pence as Trump's replacement.

I'm just a guy with a family.  I have not conspired with leftists to stop Trump unless you count the fact that I voted GOP for 30 years except 2016.  It was because I believed President Trump is a horrible person and the GOP has abandoned all of it's principles in accepting him as the President.  I think less of him today.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2018, 03:54:23 pm »
How is that an insult? It was not intended as an insult.

@Weird Tolkienish Figure
Sure it is.  Its intended to demean anyone who voted for Trump.  Lump everyone into the same box for whatever the talking point of the day is.   

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2018, 03:54:59 pm »
@Weird Tolkienish Figure
yet again with the insults.

Nobody has said he SHOULD pardon himself.  They've simply said he COULD.

Kinda silly to fight about this since he hasn't even been charged with a crime yet, despite all those people trying to frame him

Actually, you don't need to be specifically charged with a crime to be pardoned. There are many cases like this. One example was Ford's pardoning of Nixon for crimes he never actually was charged with.

• Technical
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2018, 03:55:21 pm »
@Weird Tolkienish Figure
Sure it is.  Its intended to demean anyone who voted for Trump.  Lump everyone into the same box for whatever the talking point of the day is.

:rolling:

No, it's not. But thanks for being a mind-reader.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2018, 03:56:41 pm »
@Once-Ler @INVAR

Why do you continue to create a bunch of bullshit out of thin air and ascribe it to those who do not genuflect your prince as you so desperately want us to do?

Where have I said ANYWHERE on this board or elsewhere that I think Trump committed a crime and needs to be impeached???

I simply commented on the fascinating observation that had Obama said what Trump tweeted today, you and the whole host of us would be outraged and pointing out the dangerous mindset of a man who saw himself as above the law and could simply act as a monarch, but because it's Trump - you justify and make excuses for why doing such a thing would be a-okay, legal and good.

Have you people never heard of the concept of avoiding the appearance of evil?  Especially in a Witch-hunt atmosphere?

You would have lost your freaking mind had Obama suggested a similar course of action, for things he and his mob of sycophants would insist was not criminal or unethical.  But because it's Trump - "It's okay when WE DO IT!"

Provide the quote and link where I said such a thing, or do you consider yourself clairvoyant and can read deep thoughts and motives from those of us who post here on this board?

Oh, we're GUILTY are we?  Guilty of conspiracy and illegal efforts to remove a duly elected president?   Simply because you decree it so?   No need for a trial?  No need for evidence beyond what you accuse?    Just a summary execution for treason from you Trump fascists?

Yes, I truly see little difference between you and the morons who still pine for Obama.

Offline ABX

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2018, 03:58:40 pm »
@Weird Tolkienish Figure
"Trumpists "

And yet four posts above this, you accuse those who are merely discussing a topic as colluding with leftists to illegally remove a sitting president.  That's a bit more than silly name calling.

Physician heal thyself.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2018, 04:04:36 pm »
And yet four posts above this, you accuse those who are merely discussing a topic as colluding with leftists to illegally remove a sitting president.  That's a bit more than silly name calling.

Physician heal thyself.

@AbaraXas
Yet that is exactly what is happening.  Both the NT and the Leftists are clamoring for impeachment.  yet there hasn't even been a crime identified yet.   Same talking points at the same time,  hmmmm

So if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.....

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2018, 04:05:48 pm »
Actually, you don't need to be specifically charged with a crime to be pardoned. There are many cases like this. One example was Ford's pardoning of Nixon for crimes he never actually was charged with.

@AbaraXas
And yet you folks are all up in arms

its curious but not accidental

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2018, 04:06:16 pm »
What leader would float the idea of pardoning himself, besides an aspiring dictator?  Do we really need a daily reminder of this guy's mental state?  **nononono* 

Offline ABX

« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2018, 04:06:51 pm »
@AbaraXas
And yet you folks are all up in arms

its curious but not accidental

No one is up in arms, we are discussing a topic.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2018, 04:06:56 pm »
:facepalm:

I'm regretting my vote again. I want to like this guy too.

I feel the same way.  Every few weeks, Trump says something over-the-top stupid.  His citation of the lawyers who say he can pardon himself is ASININE.  He needs to stop listening to idiots.