Author Topic: First of its kind CO2-free natural gas burning power plant undergoes first fire  (Read 2326 times)

rangerrebew

First of its kind CO2-free natural gas burning power plant undergoes first fire
June 1, 2018 by Bob Yirka, Tech Xplore
NET Power's 50 MWth Demonstration Plant in La Porte, Texas

Officials with NET Power, LLC recently reported the first successful firing of the combustor for a new kind of natural gas-based power plant free of carbon emissions, without having to use carbon capture technology.

The new plant, based in La Porte Texas, is a demonstration and test facility to test a new way to make electricity—they call it Allam Cycle technology after Rodney Allam, the inventor of the design. Doing so, engineers report, involves employing a seven-stage process that results in the production of electricity and emission of liquid water. Also, a small amount of CO2 is collected in a form that can be used for other applications such as natural gas extraction.

https://techxplore.com/news/2018-06-kind-co2-free-natural-gas-power.html

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
"Officials with NET Power, LLC recently reported the first successful firing of the combustor for a new kind of natural gas-based power plant free of carbon emissions, without having to use carbon capture technology. "

They have only replaced "Carbon Capture" with "Carbon Dioxide Capture"

a small amount of CO2 is collected in a form that can be used for other applications such as natural gas extraction.

Since natural gas is mostly methane and 75% of the weight of methane is carbon, they must be collecting a whole lot more CO2 than a "small amount"

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I cannot make heads or tails of what is going on here.

Where is the CO2 going?  The paper is only saying 5% is being 'sold', apparently for 'natural gas extraction'.  What in the world is that?

Reminds me of the sidewalk trickster with the three cups suckering you in by asking which cup is the bean under.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Oceander

Where is the CO2 going?  The paper is only saying 5% is being 'sold', apparently for 'natural gas extraction'.  What in the world is that?

Reminds me of the sidewalk trickster with the three cups suckering you in by asking which cup is the bean under.

The bulk of the CO2 appears to be retained and used as the generating fluid (if that's the right term, or at least close enough that it conveys the idea). 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Since the products of burning CH4 are CO2 and H2O, and most of the weight of the Methane molecule (as has been pointed out) is the Carbon Atom, somehow this stoichiometry isn't working out, quite. For every molecule of Methane, a molecule of Carbon dioxide should be produced. Unless they are only using a small amount of Methane, they will produce proportional amounts of Carbon Dioxide.

:pondering:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Apparently the CO2 is being used to spin the turbines instead of steam. Even so I'd think they'd still generate CO2 well beyond the need for the turbines, so saying they're only siphoning off 5% of that seems small.

Related article:

https://techxplore.com/news/2017-05-power-carbon-dioxide-steam.html
The Republic is lost.

Offline Suppressed

This article gets it wrong. 100% of the generated CO2 is sent off for use, though a portion of the flow is reused.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allam_power_cycle

Nothing earth-shattering on the carbon dioxide side. It still generates just as much.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

They got that wrong too. CO2 is used for Enhanced Oil Recovery.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
This article gets it wrong. 100% of the generated CO2 is sent off for use, though a portion of the flow is reused.

Nothing earth-shattering on the carbon dioxide side. It still generates just as much.

That makes a helluva lot more sense.
The Republic is lost.

But only in certain places.  It is impossible to get enhanced natural gas recovery from CO2.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

what use is that?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
what use is that?
It allows them to claim they are NOT an EVIL CO2 EMITTER

It allows them to claim they are NOT an EVIL CO2 EMITTER
Actually, the best usage might be to send it into the atmosphere so our crops can grow better.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Actually, the best usage might be to send it into the atmosphere so our crops can grow better.

I totally agree. 888high58888

Offline the_doc

Right.  You can get more oil out of a field by C02 injection--but not more natural gas unless you are willing to contaminate the natural gas with more C02. 

Offline thackney

Right.  You can get more oil out of a field by C02 injection--but not more natural gasunless you are willing to contaminate the natural gas with more C02.

Not even then.  You don't decrease the natural gas viscosity with CO2 like you do with crude oil.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline the_doc

Not even then.  You don't decrease the natural gas viscosity with CO2 like you do with crude oil.

Good point.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
watch someone pipe it into one of those 'medical' grow operations to enhance yield....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

watch someone pipe it into one of those 'medical' grow operations to enhance yield....

CANNABIS 101GROWING
How to Use CO2 to Increase Cannabis Yields
https://www.leafly.com/news/growing/co2-for-growing-marijuana-plants

That is just one of the reasons why CO2 works to increase the amount of oil recovery.  It also serves as a displacement mechanism under conditions of immiscibility.

Offline thackney

That is just one of the reasons why CO2 works to increase the amount of oil recovery.  It also serves as a displacement mechanism under conditions of immiscibility.

Thank you, I over simplified. CO2 does "push" as well, like a water injection system would.  The CO2 would mix into Natural Gas.

Thank you, I over simplified. CO2 does "push" as well, like a water injection system would.  The CO2 would mix into Natural Gas.
It only 'pushes' if the CO2 is immiscible with the crude, or if the crude is completely saturated with CO2.

Offline thackney

It only 'pushes' if the CO2 is immiscible with the crude, or if the crude is completely saturated with CO2.

Isn't that the same as what you said here?

It also serves as a displacement mechanism under conditions of immiscibility.

Perhaps I'm confusing something.  If you mean different things with these two, can you point me at something to read to understand it better?

Isn't that the same as what you said here?

It also serves as a displacement mechanism under conditions of immiscibility.

Perhaps I'm confusing something.  If you mean different things with these two, can you point me at something to read to understand it better?
Not exactly.

It is ONLY a displacement mechanism in immiscible conditions.

It is both a viscosity-lowering component under miscible conditions as it swells crude, but is also partially a displacement mechanism when the crude is CO2-saturated under miscible conditions, ie - there is extra CO2 available above full saturation.

The only time one does not get displacement is when CO2 is in insufficient volume to achieve full saturation under miscible conditions.  In that case, one does not achieve the full beneficial effects from miscibility.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 01:52:41 am by IsailedawayfromFR »