Author Topic: What Adults Who Don’t Have ADHD Should Know About Adults Who Do  (Read 2953 times)

rangerrebew

What Adults Who Don’t Have ADHD Should Know About Adults Who Do

For starters, they're not rude, and they can be more sensitive than they seem.
By Jennifer Lea Reynolds, Contributor May 31, 2017, at 9:00 a.m.

Julia Breur, a licensed clinical psychotherapist in Boca Raton, Florida, says it's important to clarify and even correct many false beliefs surrounding attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. "There are numerous myths and misconceptions about ADHD that are considered to be facts by those who do not appear to understand what ADHD exactly is," she says. If you're an adult who does not have ADHD, here are some things to keep in mind about other adults who do.

A person with ADHD can't just turn off behaviors the same way a neurotypical person, Breur says. While medication and psychotherapy can help manage symptoms, Breur notes others may still perceive such individuals as perpetually rude, irresponsible, insensitive or clumsy. People without the disorder often stick with these assumptions, thinking that all a person with ADHD has to do is simply try harder. Such thoughts are unfair, Breur adds, because "people with ADHD try hard their entire life."

https://health.usnews.com/health-care/patient-advice/articles/2017-05-31/what-adults-who-dont-have-adhd-should-know-about-adults-who-do

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
A couple of observations:

1. ADHD does exist, it occurs mostly in boys, and it is overdiagnosed and overused today.  Some of what is considered aberrant and ADHD behavior is simply that of bored and physically inactive children.
2.  Every one of us has learning and social difficulties, that we have to learn how to work with and minimize and/or use to our advantage.  Some of us have more difficulties in some areas than others. 
3.  The world does not adapt to us; we have to learn to adapt to the world.  Some of us are better at it than others.  So what?

Oceander

1. ADHD does exist, it occurs mostly in boys, and it is overdiagnosed and overused today.  Some of what is considered aberrant and ADHD behavior is simply that of bored and physically inactive children.
2.  Every one of us has learning and social difficulties, that we have to learn how to work with and minimize and/or use to our advantage.  Some of us have more difficulties in some areas than others. 
3.  The world does not adapt to us; we have to learn to adapt to the world.  Some of us are better at it than others.  So what?

Do you have ADHD?  Or know well an adult who does?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Do you have ADHD?  Or know well an adult who does?

Yes, I do.  Why do you ask?

Offline RoosGirl

Bah, those kids just need to be spanked more.  :smokin:

Offline endicom

I noticed the Tourette but not the ADHD.

Offline skeeter

I'm very close to someone exhibiting most of these symptoms. Its vexing to say the least.

I don't look at it so much as a defect as a personality type. But as a coping mechanism its useful to be able to name it rather than just struggle with its effects.

Oceander

Welcome to the club.  I’ll give you a certificate when I get around to finishing the design.  ;^)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

My 39yo son has ADHD ....and those here who don't believe this is a disease don't know what they are talking about...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

I noticed the Tourette but not the ADHD.

Since we're talking about my son, I'm not sure what you think you were noticing. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Welcome to the club.  I’ll give you a certificate when I get around to finishing the design.  ;^)

:beer:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Be sure and make one for me, too.  @Sanguine isn't the only one.   :smokin:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline endicom

Since we're talking about my son, I'm not sure what you think you were noticing.

Sorry, that was meant to be a joke about you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
My 39yo son has ADHD ....and those here who don't believe this is a disease don't know what they are talking about...

It's a tough one.  I don't believe it's a disease.  I think it's a fairly normal condition that in a much more dangerous and less regulated world that we live in, it was very much a positive.  The ADHD kids were the ones who discovered new lands, killed the leopards trying to eat the band, and took care of the bad guys.  It becomes a problem when little kids have to sit in a desk 7 hours a day and do detail work.  Same with adults. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Sorry, that was meant to be a joke about you.

Hilarious, either way. 

Offline RoosGirl

It's a tough one.  I don't believe it's a disease.  I think it's a fairly normal condition that in a much more dangerous and less regulated world that we live in, it was very much a positive.  The ADHD kids were the ones who discovered new lands, killed the leopards trying to eat the band, and took care of the bad guys.  It becomes a problem when little kids have to sit in a desk 7 hours a day and do detail work.  Same with adults.

This is along the lines of what I was thinking too.  Not a disease, just a different way of being that doesn't mesh so well with the lifestyles we generally have now.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
This is along the lines of what I was thinking too.  Not a disease, just a different way of being that doesn't mesh so well with the lifestyles we generally have now.

It also doesn't mesh well with the "Crush all opposition" attitude we're seeing a lot of lately.  Everything except wanting to hear the lamentations of their women. :whistle:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

You are right..I don't think it was ever declared a *disease*.

My son was diagnosed with ADHD and low IQ. He had Special Ed teachers all through school and I managed to keep him out of *contained* classrooms by re-enforcing every thing he did at school at home.

His pediatrician was the expert here in Central Il and thought that his bio mom drank while pregnant too..[she was 16yo]

It was a heavy road all through school but we did it...

He still cannot reason things out...for example..you take a day off from work you lose a day's pay...he just did that for the hundredth time last week because he was invited to a birthday party 9999hair out0000
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

My son was diagnosed with ADHD and low IQ. He had Special Ed teachers all through school and I managed to keep him out of *contained* classrooms by re-enforcing every thing he did at school at home.

His pediatrician was the expert here in Central Il and thought that his bio mom drank while pregnant too..[she was 16yo]

He still cannot reason things out...for example..you take a day off from work you lose a day's pay...he just did that for the hundredth time last week because he was invited to a birthday party 9999hair out0000

Sounds like he is very blessed to have you. 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

That was how it was with my son.  Getting him though High School was a real slog, and he came to resent me for it.  He then went on to navigate a nuclear sub for a couple of hitches with the Navy, and has a son of his own.
I will NOT comply.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
My son also is ADHD and life was a challenge until he got into his latte teens early twenties, and now that he's 39 has a career and family(six years ago he thought he would be alone forever) our second grandchild from him will be born on Monday, we finally are past the day to day battles. It's especially hard when the kid with ADHD has a higher IQ then the people teaching them and the class work is boring boring boring!

Online GtHawk

ADHD is now classified as a specific disability under federal civil rights law. ... The number of children being diagnosed with ADHD — a neurobiological disorder characterized by impulsivity, hyperactivity or inattentiveness — has soared over the last decade.Jul 26, 2016

Online GtHawk

@mystery-ak
It was however classified a s disability

ADHD is one of the most researched and prevalent childhood brain disorders. ... ADHD, or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, is classified as a psychiatric disorder and the symptoms often continue through adolescence into adulthood.Jul 31, 2015

ADHD is now classified as a specific disability under federal civil rights law. ... The number of children being diagnosed with ADHD — a neurobiological disorder characterized by impulsivity, hyperactivity or inattentiveness — has soared over the last decade.Jul 26, 2016

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Yes, but I was talking about common sense and logic, not bureaucratic crap.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Oh, it's real enough. I worked with a directional driller who had it, and got pretty good at steering him back on topic. He was off his meds, they were 1000 miles away and the doctors wouldn't give him more until those ran out. It was a bit like chasing ricochet rabbit in a discussion, but just a little patience and you found out the guy was excellent at his profession (one of the best I have worked with).

Edited to add: That said, I have serious doubts that it is as prominent as educators and others stuffing kids wholesale into the category would have us believe. One of the problems with being bright as a kid is that you get easily bored. At that point, it takes self-discipline, and a lot of it, to sit still when in captivity (classroom, meeting, what have you), and for those who don't really have the disorder, that is a learned behaviour. If those kids are medicated into submission inappropriately, they will lack the skills they should have developed when they were young when they get older.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 12:57:42 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis