General Category > Immigration/Border

GOP Rep Explains How DACA Recipients Would 'Earn' Citizenship With His Bill

(1/9) > >>

rangerrebew:
GOP Rep Explains How DACA Recipients Would 'Earn' Citizenship With His Bill

Cortney O'Brien

Posted: May 29, 2018 9:30 AM

Rep. Jeff Denham (R-CA) wants to see his USA Act reach the House floor for a vote. Short for the Uniting and Securing America Act, the bill would give DACA recipients a path to citizenship.

The USA Act represents a real bipartisan compromise that will provide a permanent legislative solution for Dreamers. Broader than just DACA recipients, the USA Act applies to all Dreamers. With a legally-defined status, these individuals would be able to remain in America while working towards full citizenship. This means they could continue to work, pursue a degree, enlist in our military and otherwise fully plan their lives without the fear that their futures could be destroyed by an administrative decision.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortne...-bill-n2485226

IsailedawayfromFR:
Nope, try another way.  And it cannot end with citizenship.  The only exception I can think of is the unquestionable competency in the English language and serving at least 3 years in the US military.

Jazzhead:
Sounds like a reasonable first step - but only if the bill includes real, additional funding for border security.   I like the proposal to increase the number of immigration judges.   Deportees need to be afforded due process, and backlogs in the courts serve no one's interests.   

IsailedawayfromFR:

--- Quote from: Jazzhead on May 30, 2018, 12:48:48 pm ---Sounds like a reasonable first step - but only if the bill includes real, additional funding for border security.   I like the proposal to increase the number of immigration judges.   Deportees need to be afforded due process, and backlogs in the courts serve no one's interests.   

--- End quote ---
Why does someone deserve what you call 'due process' if one broke the law to come into this country?

Due process is a right reserved for citizens.

driftdiver:

--- Quote from: IsailedawayfromFR on May 30, 2018, 03:00:37 pm ---Why does someone deserve what you call 'due process' if one broke the law to come into this country?

Due process is a right reserved for citizens.

--- End quote ---

@IsailedawayfromFR
I believe the Supreme Court has granted due process to anyone in the US.

citizen or not

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version