General Category > Immigration/Border

GOP Rep Explains How DACA Recipients Would 'Earn' Citizenship With His Bill

<< < (9/9)

IsailedawayfromFR:

--- Quote from: Oceander on May 31, 2018, 01:17:45 am ---There, in all it’s glory, is your statement.  It is not qualified by geography or anything else.  You state, without qualification, that due process is for citizens only.  Your statement is categorical and necessarily applies both within as well as without the US.

As such, it is false.  Whatever the reach of due process outside the US, inside the US everyone is entitled to due process, whether citizen or not.

--- End quote ---
And it most certainly is.  Due process cannot be applied to people not citizens wherever they exist.

You do not have any merit to your arguments as you try to attach qualifications to what I said.

Even the reference you had does not give due process to all people, only to a certain alien who was held for a prolonged time.

RoosGirl:

--- Quote from: Sanguine on May 31, 2018, 01:31:04 am ---I was thinking the same thing.  Like a toothache.  Or a broken arm.

--- End quote ---

I think either of those would be preferable to this thread right now.

thackney:

--- Quote from: IsailedawayfromFR on May 30, 2018, 07:21:48 pm ---Oh, there is that 'within its jurisdiction' once again.  What do you believe that means anyway?  Think it pertains to an uninvited person who is not within the jurisdiction of the US as he came into this country without its permission?  And are you now advocating for those imprisoned at Guantanamo Bay?

--- End quote ---

Guantanamo Bay is not US soil.  It is leased, not owned, by the US from Cuba.

thackney:

--- Quote from: IsailedawayfromFR on May 30, 2018, 07:21:48 pm ---...those imprisoned at Guantanamo Bay?
--- End quote ---

You picked a great example for this topic.  It is the reason the prison exists at Guantanamo Bay.  If those prisoners were brought to Fort Leavenworth, the government would be required to follow due process.

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/the-constitutional-debates-over-the-military-prison-at-guantanamo-bay

Oceander:

--- Quote from: IsailedawayfromFR on May 31, 2018, 01:32:10 am ---And it most certainly is.  Due process cannot be applied to people not citizens wherever they exist.

You do not have any merit to your arguments as you try to attach qualifications to what I said.

Even the reference you had does not give due process to all people, only to a certain alien who was held for a prolonged time.

--- End quote ---

/snicker

You’re just too afraid to read your own words and acknowledge your mistake.  What a spoilt child. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version