Author Topic: Police find body of missing Guardsman in flood-ravaged Maryland river  (Read 470 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

(CNN) - Authorities working in flood-ravaged Maryland found the body of a missing Army National Guardsman in the Patapsco River, just east of the heavily damaged town of Ellicott City on Tuesday, the Howard County Police Department said.

Since Sunday evening, rescuers had been searching for Sgt. Eddison Hermond of the Maryland Army National Guard.

The 39-year-old assigned to Camp Fretterd Military Reservation in Reisterstown was at a Mexican restaurant in Ellicott City's historic downtown area when the flooding began, said Sarah Lopez, whose husband met Hermond 20 years ago in the US Air Force.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/national/police-find-mans-body-in-floodravaged-maryland-river

------------

Godspeed soldier.

The Republic is lost.

Offline Suppressed

I like the opening of the Baltimore Sun article...

Searchers find body of Maryland National Guardsman who went missing in Ellicott City flood
Sarah Meehan and Christina Tkacik
The Baltimore Sun  May 29, 2018 5:30 pm
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/weather/bs-md-flood-casualty-20180529-story.html

On Friday morning, Sgt. Eddison A. Hermond, “Eddie,” to his friends, wrote what would be one of his last Facebook posts.

“Okay kiddos, it's Friday and the start of Memorial Day weekend,” he began. “Let's get the hate out of our hearts. Focus on the positives and let's all, for once, enjoy life as it's meant to be enjoyed. Whatever your pleasure is … just be happy. We're free because people gave their lives for us to live this way.”

His friends loved it so much, one asked if he would make the post “public,” so that she could share it with her friends, too. Another friend commented to thank Hermond for his service.

“Wrong holiday,” he corrected her. Sure, he was a veteran and member of the Maryland National Guard, but Memorial Day was for fallen heroes, not him. Not yet.

Two days later, a massive flood hit historic Ellicott City. Local shop owner Kate Bowman was stranded. She told The Baltimore Sun that Hermond, 39, tried to rescue her.

“I could barely see anything and I could barely hear anything” because the waters were so loud, the 41-year-old Bowman said through tears Monday night. “He stepped over the ledge to try to get to me, and he was washed away.”

[...]

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online mountaineer

How sad for all his friends, family and fellow soldiers. He laid down his life for that woman.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Right_in_Virginia

How sad for all his friends, family and fellow soldiers. He laid down his life for that woman.

A true hero.  RIP. 

Offline endicom

Hate seeing the good guys go.

RIP

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
He sounds like a wonderful man. 

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Saw a video of an interview with the trapped woman he was trying to reach...

Imagine the guilt she must feel.  'Seeing' his face in her too often dreams.  Very sad.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald