Author Topic: BREAKING: ABC cancels 'Roseanne' following tweet on Valerie Jarrett  (Read 26729 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: BREAKING: ABC cancels 'Roseanne' following tweet on Valerie Jarrett
« Reply #400 on: June 04, 2018, 10:55:24 pm »
This thread is the equivalent of a guest who overstay their welcome.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #401 on: June 04, 2018, 10:57:18 pm »

I'm sure the Legos have been hidden in the basement somewhere.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #402 on: June 04, 2018, 11:48:06 pm »
Nope. Men have no innate need for it - and women do.

@roamer_1

I am going to say you are half-right. We men need to provide a civilized atmosphere for WOMEN TO RAISE CHILDREN. If there are no children around requiring care,women are actually tougher than men. They just aren't as strong as we are. Still,they are not Super Woman any more than we are Super Man,and generally speaking,pre-teen children need a mother focused on their care and upbringing,not on running a trap line or being a CEO somewhere. That's where the male is required to take up the slack.

Nothing more than the natural distribution of labor.

Yes,lots of single women as well as single men have been put into positions where they had to bring home the bacon as well as raise the children,but that situation is far from ideal,and anybody that tells you this isn't true is a dogmatic fool.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #403 on: June 04, 2018, 11:50:06 pm »
So....because the woman character swore like a trooper, you wished Dexter would have killed her.

Do you see any 'problem' with your reasoning?   :shrug:    :laugh:

@DCPatriot

I tried watching Dexter,and I was hoping somebody would kill HIM. Chick Flic series,where the women lust after a handsome serial killer. Made my head hurt.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #404 on: June 04, 2018, 11:50:58 pm »
@roamer_1

I am going to say you are half-right. We men need to provide a civilized atmosphere for WOMEN TO RAISE CHILDREN. If there are no children around requiring care,women are actually tougher than men. They just aren't as strong as we are. Still,they are not Super Woman any more than we are Super Man,and generally speaking,pre-teen children need a mother focused on their care and upbringing,not on running a trap line or being a CEO somewhere. That's where the male is required to take up the slack.

Nothing more than the natural distribution of labor.

Yes,lots of single women as well as single men have been put into positions where they had to bring home the bacon as well as raise the children,but that situation is far from ideal,and anybody that tells you this isn't true is a dogmatic fool.

Good post, @sneakypete.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #405 on: June 04, 2018, 11:53:37 pm »
I'm still trying to get past "the weaker sex".  Smaller - ok, generally speaking.  Weaker?  Nope.

@Sanguine

No kidding,and not always smaller,either.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #406 on: June 05, 2018, 12:19:19 am »
So....because the woman character swore like a trooper, you wished Dexter would have killed her.

Do you see any 'problem' with your reasoning?   :shrug:    :laugh:
A character in a fictional show?  Actually, yes.  She was too obnoxious.  :laugh:
But I would have been satisfied with Dexter washing her mouth out with soap.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #407 on: June 05, 2018, 12:33:48 am »
I am going to say you are half-right. We men need to provide a civilized atmosphere for WOMEN TO RAISE CHILDREN.

@sneakypete
If there are no women, there are no children, and the thought stands on its own (and I did iterate child rearing as cause upthread)

If there are no children around requiring care,women are actually tougher than men.

Not in any measurable way. There are some that will do, and make do, and I mean no disrespect, but in rough conditions, a woman will always require help, a slower pace, and a shorter hop, carrying half the load.

In all my life I have met one woman who could stand with men at what men do... That'd be Big Gert, a cigar munchin gal of 6 feet and 250 pounds. Dug ditches for a living and swore like a muleskinner. She couldn't keep up with me and a few others, but she did fair better than most men at it.

Saying otherwise is just so much nonsense.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #408 on: June 05, 2018, 12:40:14 am »
@DCPatriot

I tried watching Dexter,and I was hoping somebody would kill HIM. Chick Flic series,where the women lust after a handsome serial killer. Made my head hurt.

@sneakypete

I watched the premier season.  Plots held your attention then.  Haven't clicked on it since.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #409 on: June 05, 2018, 12:45:39 am »

And you drop by, seems like every page. in your 'special' witty way to induce conversation on other threads. 

I feel ya...but we're having a deep conversation here, Frank.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #410 on: June 05, 2018, 12:55:38 am »
@sneakypete
If there are no women, there are no children, and the thought stands on its own (and I did iterate child rearing as cause upthread)

@roamer_1

Sometimes women die,get sick,and just disappear. It happens.

Not in any measurable way. There are some that will do, and make do, and I mean no disrespect, but in rough conditions, a woman will always require help, a slower pace, and a shorter hop, carrying half the load.

Women have a tolerance for pain that is off the freaking charts. They also tend to go full-tilt batshit crazy if you ever scare or make one mad enough to attack you. People that fired up ain't easy to stop.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #411 on: June 05, 2018, 01:10:15 am »

Sometimes women die,get sick,and just disappear. It happens.

@sneakypete
Not the same thing - If a man has children, he is already moored. Society exists where he is.

Women have a tolerance for pain that is off the freaking charts. They also tend to go full-tilt batshit crazy if you ever scare or make one mad enough to attack you. People that fired up ain't easy to stop.

Twice I have hit a woman in my life. Both times as I would hit a man.
One was pokin on me with a knife. I knocked her out on the principle of the thing.
One was, as you say, bat-shit crazy, and doing more harm to others than to me, one of which was a child. There was no talking to her, and no restraining her without a risk of injury, so I just put her out.

In both cases, a single blow. Out cold and doing the chicken. Now, I have done likewise to men, but not so very often. Usually they get back up.

No, women are not more powerful, or in possession of more strength, or possessing more endurance, or, for that matter, possessing more will. In every durable trial, a man will fair better, as a rule.

Offline thackney

« Reply #412 on: June 05, 2018, 01:35:18 am »
Women have more stamina, men more explosive strength.  Not less or more; just different.

Marathon runners, Iron men...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline threadbender

« Reply #413 on: June 05, 2018, 06:20:25 am »
A character in a fictional show?  Actually, yes.  She was too obnoxious.  :laugh:
But I would have been satisfied with Dexter washing her mouth out with soap.

My husband and I had Showtime just for Dexter! Loved the show but, oh my, Debra was way OTT. And, it was obviously done because she was a woman. Man, now, I think I need to go watch a few episodes. There were a couple of seasons I did not like but for the most part, it was a fun ride. Loved the guest stars!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #414 on: June 05, 2018, 08:15:09 pm »
Marathon runners, Iron men...

Just a minor point - women's bodies are better suited for distance running because they have more body fat, and therefore are better equipped to run for a longer time.

That doesn't translate into saying that they run faster, just that their bodies handle it better.

Side point -  Our son is an ultra marathon runner and has done several 100k races in the mountains, and one 100 mile race.   And though he's exceptionally good at it, in every race there are women who come in before he does.

There may be 5 or 10 men in the world with faster times over 100K than they have, but that's about it, and I'm guessing no one on this forum is among them.  :dx1:

@Sanguine  @thackney
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #415 on: June 05, 2018, 08:27:37 pm »
Just a minor point - women's bodies are better suited for distance running because they have more body fat, and therefore are better equipped to run for a longer time.

That doesn't translate into saying that they run faster, just that their bodies handle it better.

Side point -  Our son is an ultra marathon runner and has done several 100k races in the mountains, and one 100 mile race.   And though he's exceptionally good at it, in every race there are women who come in before he does.

There may be 5 or 10 men in the world with faster times over 100K than they have, but that's about it, and I'm guessing no one on this forum is among them.  :dx1:

@Sanguine  @thackney

This website does not support your claim. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

https://ultrarunning.com/featured/ultrarunning-magazine-all-time-lists/

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #416 on: June 05, 2018, 08:31:25 pm »

I feel ya...but we're having a deep conversation here, Frank.    :laugh:

If you tied buttered toast to the back of a cat and dropped it from a height, what would happen?
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #417 on: June 05, 2018, 08:35:52 pm »
If you tied buttered toast to the back of a cat and dropped it from a height, what would happen?

The only way to know is to run multiple experiments.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #418 on: June 05, 2018, 08:43:43 pm »
The only way to know is to run multiple experiments.

I only have toast. 

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #419 on: June 05, 2018, 08:44:41 pm »
I only have toast.

I'll get the traps set up.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #420 on: June 05, 2018, 08:48:10 pm »
I'll get the traps set up.

Try a cat herder 1st.  More humane  :cool:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #421 on: June 05, 2018, 08:57:52 pm »
This website does not support your claim. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

https://ultrarunning.com/featured/ultrarunning-magazine-all-time-lists/

Which claim?   

That website doesn't address the issue I was discussing, nor the specifics of recent races our son ran in over the past few years.  (Those are not mountain races.  NO one completes a 100k mountain race in 6 hours.  And even so, look at the women's times in the 100 mile relative to the fastest men.  If there are 200 people in the race and a woman finishes 30th, she is faster than almost all the men).

Edited to add:  In a 100k mountain race, our son finished ninth and finished in 14 hours and 16 minutes.  There was one woman who finished ahead of him at 14 hours and 1 minute.  The fastest runners were men, but there were women who finished far faster than the majority of men.   This has been true in all of his races.

That is the point I was making.  It is factual, and not a 'claim.'
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 09:16:56 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline thackney

« Reply #422 on: June 05, 2018, 09:00:10 pm »

It has already been done.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #423 on: June 05, 2018, 09:48:41 pm »
Which claim?   

That website doesn't address the issue I was discussing, nor the specifics of recent races our son ran in over the past few years.  (Those are not mountain races.  NO one completes a 100k mountain race in 6 hours.  And even so, look at the women's times in the 100 mile relative to the fastest men.  If there are 200 people in the race and a woman finishes 30th, she is faster than almost all the men).

Edited to add:  In a 100k mountain race, our son finished ninth and finished in 14 hours and 16 minutes.  There was one woman who finished ahead of him at 14 hours and 1 minute.  The fastest runners were men, but there were women who finished far faster than the majority of men.   This has been true in all of his races.

That is the point I 9was making.  It is factual, and not a 'claim.'

FFS Making the general claim that women are stronger or as strong as men, making the claim that women have as much or more stamina than men is just plain false.  There are outliers in every situation, however, no one here ever said that all men are stronger, etc than all women.  No one here is stupid enough to believe that.  Making the general claim is just plain false and it is supported by a plethora of data including the website I linked, regardless of whether those races are in the mountains, on the beach, on a track or on a road.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #424 on: June 05, 2018, 09:49:56 pm »
It has already been done.

Okay dokaly then!