Author Topic: BREAKING: ABC cancels 'Roseanne' following tweet on Valerie Jarrett  (Read 26701 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: BREAKING: ABC cancels 'Roseanne' following tweet on Valerie Jarrett
« Reply #375 on: June 04, 2018, 08:50:07 pm »
I might roll my eyes too...if I could figure out what they were arguing about. 

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #376 on: June 04, 2018, 08:55:33 pm »
Use self-control and stay out of this discussion.  The men on this forum don't need your help.  :dx1:

How about using self-control and sticking to a discussion that most people who have previously commented give a crap about or taking your non-sensical and uselsss argument to PM.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #377 on: June 04, 2018, 09:07:17 pm »
How about using self-control and sticking to a discussion that most people who have previously commented give a crap about or taking your non-sensical and uselsss argument to PM.

I was responding to someone who was responding to me.

I'm allowed to do that, whether you like it or not.

But just to let you know, the last time you engaged in a stupid argument about my calling childish men 'boys' and wouldn't let go of it, I had to take some time off, and ended up putting two people on Ignore.

I'm not going to do it again.  If you hector me, I'm outta here.

My discussion about how men are not as base as some here think, and can be gentlemen, will continue, because I know a whole lot of men who are polite to the core, and expect the same of others.

(btw, the two men with which I have been having a polite, respectful discussion, seem to be interested in the subject.  Just because you aren't, doesn't mean that none of us should discuss it.....discussion forums don't work that way.  Besides which, it's relevant to the topic, and to the problems we have in today's society).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 09:17:33 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #378 on: June 04, 2018, 09:08:49 pm »
I might roll my eyes too...if I could figure out what they were arguing about.

My believing that men are not doomed to coarse, vile lives because they were 'made that way.'

And my believing that men are capable of engaging in polite and civil discourse all on their own, and that it's not women's fault that they don't.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #379 on: June 04, 2018, 09:19:35 pm »
My believing that men are not doomed to coarse, vile lives because they were 'made that way.'

And my believing that men are capable of engaging in polite and civil discourse all on their own, and that it's not women's fault that they don't.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Well, of course.  Why is that even an argument?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #380 on: June 04, 2018, 09:23:31 pm »
Well, of course.  Why is that even an argument?

That's what I'd like to know.

But any time I see someone say that men can't help themselves because of the way they're wired, I will defend men against that argument.  I guess I just know too many clean, healthy men whom I deeply respect to believe that they are all hardwired to be filthy.

(btw, the argument happens too often).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 09:25:44 pm by musiclady »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #381 on: June 04, 2018, 09:26:02 pm »
I was responding to someone who was responding to me.

I'm allowed to do that, whether you like it or not.

But just to let you know, the last time you engaged in a stupid argument about my calling childish men 'boys' and wouldn't let go of it, I had to take some time off, and ended up putting two people on Ignore.

I'm not going to do it again.  If you hector me, I'm outta here.

My discussion about how men are not as base as some here think, and can be gentlemen, will continue, because I know a whole lot of men who are polite to the core, and expect the same of others.

I gotta tell you, I think it's pretty freaking hilariious that all of that is my fault.  If you left because of an eyeroll emoji and then being responded to in kind I would laugh my ass off.

Hectoring you, indeed.  I was actually rolling my eyes at both you and @roamer_1 .  You're talking past each other, which you are wont to do and he should know better.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #382 on: June 04, 2018, 09:30:20 pm »
I gotta tell you, I think it's pretty freaking hilariious that all of that is my fault.  If you left because of an eyeroll emoji and then being responded to in kind I would laugh my ass off.

Hectoring you, indeed.  I was actually rolling my eyes at both you and @roamer_1 .  You're talking past each other, which you are wont to do and he should know better.

I didn't even remotely imply that it was "all your fault."

I repeat.  No man here needs you to come to his aid, as much as you feel the need to defend them against me.

roamer and I agree on almost every issue.  The only one we disagree on is his strongly traditional (albeit, not necessarily Biblical) views of how he believes all women should behave, and in this instance, that women innately want decency and men don't, so that we are to blame for the coarseness of our culture.

He's a good man with strong beliefs and doesn't need help against big, bad musiclady.   ^-^

(The use of the term "hectoring" was in reference to multiple occasions in the past, which, I'm thinking you remember as well as I do.  It was not a comment on what you had done here.  Just an effort to prevent you from doing it again).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 09:33:12 pm by musiclady »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #383 on: June 04, 2018, 09:32:24 pm »
I'm still trying to get past "the weaker sex".  Smaller - ok, generally speaking.  Weaker?  Nope. 

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #384 on: June 04, 2018, 09:33:45 pm »
I didn't even remotely imply that it was "all your fault."

I repeat.  No man here needs you to come to his aid, as much as you feel the need to defend them against me.

roamer and I agree on almost every issue.  The only one we disagree on is his strongly traditional (albeit, not necessarily Biblical) views of how he believes all women should behave, and in this instance, that women innately want decency and men don't, so that we are to blame for the coarseness of our culture.

He's a good man with strong beliefs and doesn't need help against big, bad musiclady.   ^-^

And as usual you're lecturing on a topic that was not mentioned to you.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #385 on: June 04, 2018, 09:35:00 pm »
And as usual you're lecturing on a topic that was not mentioned to you.

As usual?? LOL!

Put me on Ignore if I bother you so much.  I can take it.  *****rollingeyes*****

In the mean time, I'm going to continue to defend men.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 09:35:37 pm by musiclady »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #386 on: June 04, 2018, 09:35:12 pm »
I'm still trying to get past "the weaker sex".  Smaller - ok, generally speaking.  Weaker?  Nope.

Are we talking physically or emotionally?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #387 on: June 04, 2018, 09:36:17 pm »
As usual?? LOL!

Put me on Ignore if I bother you so much.  I can take it.  *****rollingeyes*****

In the mean time, I'm going to continue to defend men.

See? The problem is you reacting as though it's the first time I mentioned it.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #388 on: June 04, 2018, 09:37:11 pm »

Actually, in many ways, biologically stronger........... so that the human race continues.  ^-^

Online roamer_1

« Reply #389 on: June 04, 2018, 09:49:52 pm »
You are ignoring the basic truth that both men and women are sinful, and that both can be equally redeemed from that sin.  You are ignoring God's redemptive power in men and seem to be saying that because they have an "innate need" to be vulgar, that they somehow should be excused.

@musiclady
I am doing no such thing. I am saying that men survive in coarse conditions, not suitable for society (and thereby women). Men live and even thrive in lonesome places, far away from society and civilization. Thus I submit, he is immune not only to the coarse conditions of say, 'Hell on Wheels' at the railhead, or of the last outpost on a frontier, but also to the abhorrent conditions that lie beyond. 

The coarsening of society is nothing. The mere coarsening of language is not even incidental. He will adapt. And he will survive. It's how we get from here to there with wilderness and war in between. Only afterward do women come along.

And in doing that, you are laying all the blame for the coarseness of today's culture on women.

Which, of course, is ridiculous on its face.

Indeed I am. I will state empirically: If women required polite society and genteel manners, that is what men would give them. I will reiterate: 'Society' is an artificial construct, built by men for women, according to their requirements.

My question is, why do you think so little of men, and why do you not recognize that behavior can be modified through the grace of God?

You are mistaking American societal norms for God's way. That is not true. And language, even more so: 'Shit' is not as coarse in Britain as it is considered here. And 'bloody' is far worse, while here, 'bloody' is entirely benign. It has less to do with God than local Christian women, and what they consider coarse... Mind you, there's nothing wrong with that. I just wanted to clear up that misconception.

Again, your insistence on (your personal perception and ideas about) tradition is interfering with your acceptance of God's laws and spiritual truth.

No, I think your perception of what God ordered is confused with what is considered polite here and now.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #390 on: June 04, 2018, 10:12:13 pm »
he should know better.

@RoosGirl

Alright. I'll lay off.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #391 on: June 04, 2018, 10:22:45 pm »
@musiclady
I am doing no such thing. I am saying that men survive in coarse conditions, not suitable for society (and thereby women). Men live and even thrive in lonesome places, far away from society and civilization. Thus I submit, he is immune not only to the coarse conditions of say, 'Hell on Wheels' at the railhead, or of the last outpost on a frontier, but also to the abhorrent conditions that lie beyond. 

The coarsening of society is nothing. The mere coarsening of language is not even incidental. He will adapt. And he will survive. It's how we get from here to there with wilderness and war in between. Only afterward do women come along.

Indeed I am. I will state empirically: If women required polite society and genteel manners, that is what men would give them. I will reiterate: 'Society' is an artificial construct, built by men for women, according to their requirements.

You are mistaking American societal norms for God's way. That is not true. And language, even more so: 'Shit' is not as coarse in Britain as it is considered here. And 'bloody' is far worse, while here, 'bloody' is entirely benign. It has less to do with God than local Christian women, and what they consider coarse... Mind you, there's nothing wrong with that. I just wanted to clear up that misconception.

No, I think your perception of what God ordered is confused with what is considered polite here and now.

Thanks for reiterating a philosophy that once again ignores God's desire to transform lives, including the lives of men who submit to His wil.  The idea that, because men can survive in the wilderness, they are not responsible to control their behavior in society as a whole is just not viable Scripturally.

What is polite in England or elsewhere (which I know all about) is not really germane to the point.  There are standards of politeness that both men and women in the past have expected of each other. (Other than Ben Franklin, where is the crudity in the language of our Founding Fathers.... whose courage historically is second to none)?

Your attempt to put all the responsibility for civility on women, I repeat, is ridiculous on its face.  By doing that, you are claiming that men are not capable of self-control, nor governance, nor decency.

It's too bad that you don't know men who are, by God's grace and a good upbringing, polite people with clean mouths.  I'm sorry, but your denigration of so many good men is offensive to one who has so very many in my family and circle of friends.

They, you see, are transformed by the Grace of God, and are capable of, not only hunting bears and surviving in the wild, but of behaving in a civil manner on their own accord.

If I thought that all men were helpless to behave without women forcing them to behave, I would think much less of them than I presently do. (Once again, my respect for men is much greater than yours).

Your argument may hold in your theoretical world, but it is not functional in the real world where God (according to Scripture and multiple verses about controlling ones tongue and not letting coarse words come out of your mouth, not my own thoughts) is in control and men allow Him to rule in their lives.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #392 on: June 04, 2018, 10:40:58 pm »
Are we talking physically or emotionally?

Yes.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #393 on: June 04, 2018, 10:43:03 pm »
Yes.

Go watch American Ninja Warrior and tell me that women are physically as strong as men.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #394 on: June 04, 2018, 10:43:54 pm »
Anyway, wth does any of this have to do with Roseanne?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #395 on: June 04, 2018, 10:46:19 pm »
Go watch American Ninja Warrior and tell me that women are physically as strong as men.

Women have more stamina, men more explosive strength.  Not less or more; just different. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #396 on: June 04, 2018, 10:46:54 pm »
Anyway, wth does any of this have to do with Roseanne?

Roseanne obviously has lots of stamina. 

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #397 on: June 04, 2018, 10:47:55 pm »
Women have more stamina, men more explosive strength.  Not less or more; just different.

Is that why men's marathon times are always faster?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #398 on: June 04, 2018, 10:49:28 pm »
Is that why men's marathon times are always faster?

I don't know.  I'm trying to care, but not getting there.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #399 on: June 04, 2018, 10:50:31 pm »
I don't know.  I'm trying to care, but not getting there.

Lol. Yup.