Author Topic: BREAKING: ABC cancels 'Roseanne' following tweet on Valerie Jarrett  (Read 26734 times)

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
Re: BREAKING: ABC cancels 'Roseanne' following tweet on Valerie Jarrett
« Reply #350 on: June 03, 2018, 09:29:38 pm »
You're right.

But the solution is not to make the filthy smears against women "OK," but to stop the filthy smears against men from being "OK."

You fellers could go a long way to make that happen iffn you want to.  ^-^

So right, @musiclady!  And men referring to other men as f***s, p*****s, C***s, is just as bad if not worse, demasculating.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 09:36:23 pm by LauraTXNM »
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #351 on: June 03, 2018, 09:43:28 pm »
So right, @musiclady!  And men referring to other men as f***s, p*****s, C***s, is just as bad if not worse, demasculating.

I'd rather guys were free with that language.  It tells me a lot about them and it also beats getting a baseball bat across the head.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #352 on: June 03, 2018, 09:45:43 pm »
I'd rather guys were free with that language.  It tells me a lot about them and it also beats getting a baseball bat across the head.
Sometimes they are just getting 'worked up' to start the physical confrontation.

I think civility is grossly underrated nowadays, under practiced, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #353 on: June 03, 2018, 09:47:07 pm »

@driftdiver, now that is true!  I believe in letting bigots use their free speech freely.  It lets us know who they are, and we can learn from the consequences they face.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #354 on: June 03, 2018, 09:50:09 pm »
Sometimes they are just getting 'worked up' to start the physical confrontation.

I think civility is grossly underrated nowadays, under practiced, too.

I dont disagree but it helps me identify and avoid those people.   
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Silver Pines

Re: Roseanne Barr Quits Twitter Over Racist Tweet
« Reply #355 on: June 04, 2018, 12:11:47 am »
She 'tweets some truth'?  As in calling an African American an ape? 

Sheesh.. we are getting infested with freeper thought.

I warned everyone not to tie your cart to this horse. She has always been a nasty racist, truther, disgustoid. Just because she claims to like someone you like doesn't change her spots.

@AbaraXas

Coming in late here, but agreed.  She's also a lunatic.  When we hitch ourselves to these types because they say something we like, it's going to blow up in our faces every time.

Silver Pines

« Reply #356 on: June 04, 2018, 12:42:45 am »
Oh, the Never Trumpers have a love-in, how sweet.

@TomSea

Offline musiclady

« Reply #357 on: June 04, 2018, 03:00:37 am »
M'am, we do what we can.

If we complain about it we''re "sexist" or "misogynists" or "Chauvanists" or any of another dozen or so epithets, including "D*ck"..

If we just refuse to date 'em they just join up with the lesbians or find some guy to really abuse them first so they can claim we're all "that way".
About the only thing that works, is "Language! Keep it clean!" but then, we're being "patriarchal".

Ignore it, and that's taken either for assent, or it intensifies in a quest for attention.
:shrug:.
With some games the only way to win is just not play.

What I was referring to is that men so frequently use demeaning, filthy language against each other.

I know that some of you don't, but I don't see many men trying to stop other men from using that kind of language.

As I said in my first response..... demeaning, filthy language against either men or women is wrong.  Leftist women may be guilty of filth against men, but most conservative women aren't....... and too many conservative men are.

I've been on conservative boards far too long to have not seen it repeatedly.

(And how many times have I been ridiculed as a "church lady" because I want language cleaned up?  So many times that it's a joke......... not on me, but on the idiots who try to belittle me for wanting language cleaned up).
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #358 on: June 04, 2018, 03:03:16 am »

Yes, it is.

This problem is a two way street, and while a lot of people want to whine about one side, not many are willing to see the fault on both.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #359 on: June 04, 2018, 03:06:43 am »
Oh, the Never Trumpers have a love-in, how sweet.

You object to our kind words about Easy Ace's comments about Father Knows Best, and somehow connect it with Trump?

That's just bizarre, Tom..... **nononono*

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #360 on: June 04, 2018, 03:15:11 am »
You object to our kind words about Easy Ace's comments about Father Knows Best, and somehow connect it with Trump?

That's just bizarre, Tom..... **nononono*

That's how it goes around here: "Animals escape from German zoo" - "but Trump!".  "UFO's seen over Los Angeles" - "You don't like Trump!".   "Man drowns in flooded river" - "You said something ugly about Trump!".

Just flat weird.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #361 on: June 04, 2018, 03:16:43 am »
That's how it goes around here: "Animals escape from German zoo" - "but Trump!".  "UFO's seen over Los Angeles" - "You don't like Trump!".   "Man drowns in flooded river" - "You said something ugly about Trump!".

Just flat weird.

Why are you calling Trump weird?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #362 on: June 04, 2018, 03:17:49 am »
Why are you calling Trump weird?

888high58888

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #363 on: June 04, 2018, 03:25:06 am »
Holy Shit!!!! Roseanne just lost her show? Thank God I was on the forum to catch this breaking news!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #364 on: June 04, 2018, 03:44:00 am »
What I was referring to is that men so frequently use demeaning, filthy language against each other.

I know that some of you don't, but I don't see many men trying to stop other men from using that kind of language.

As I said in my first response..... demeaning, filthy language against either men or women is wrong.  Leftist women may be guilty of filth against men, but most conservative women aren't....... and too many conservative men are.

I've been on conservative boards far too long to have not seen it repeatedly.

(And how many times have I been ridiculed as a "church lady" because I want language cleaned up?  So many times that it's a joke......... not on me, but on the idiots who try to belittle me for wanting language cleaned up).
I'm no saint, but generally If I make a derogatory reference about another guy, it's because I find that a valid characterization. I find common ground and get along with most folks, whether I agree with some of their personal decisions or not, whether I trust them or not, but I have known a few I'd have to be standing next to when they ignited, and I'd have to be in serious and urgent distress before I would contribute my urine to extinguishing the blaze.

I get your point, though, and it is much like women calling themselves or each other "B*tch". (Let someone call Mrs Joe that and she'd redefine it for whoever did).

In general, the course of interpersonal communication has been in a death spiral since women started tolerating being referred to as "Hos" and "B*tch" and even "baby mama", the latter concept even more degrading in that it implies accidental breeding with someone not worthy of a commitment. before or after coitus. It's a far cry from R-E-S-P-E-C-T, but people buy that crap, and after serious saturation, it affects the culture at all levels..
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #365 on: June 04, 2018, 05:32:52 am »
Oh damn, my bad.  I thought for a moment that this was "Trump is the greatest thing since sliced bread" thread.

Just what exactly do you mean, SINCE?  Are you trying to imply that sliced bread is better than the trump?

Get this one up against the wall, boys.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #366 on: June 04, 2018, 01:25:05 pm »
I'm no saint, but generally If I make a derogatory reference about another guy, it's because I find that a valid characterization. I find common ground and get along with most folks, whether I agree with some of their personal decisions or not, whether I trust them or not, but I have known a few I'd have to be standing next to when they ignited, and I'd have to be in serious and urgent distress before I would contribute my urine to extinguishing the blaze.

I get your point, though, and it is much like women calling themselves or each other "B*tch". (Let someone call Mrs Joe that and she'd redefine it for whoever did).

In general, the course of interpersonal communication has been in a death spiral since women started tolerating being referred to as "Hos" and "B*tch" and even "baby mama", the latter concept even more degrading in that it implies accidental breeding with someone not worthy of a commitment. before or after coitus. It's a far cry from R-E-S-P-E-C-T, but people buy that crap, and after serious saturation, it affects the culture at all levels..

One of the worst things about so-called women's "liberation" is that many women have become as vulgar as men.

You and I are both old enough to remember when women (a few outliers excepted) never used foul language, and men only did in the company of other men....NEVER with women around.  Now, especially in the younger generations, no one thinks a thing about it when a female swears like a longshoreman.  :shrug:

Of course, the days of polite conversation are long gone and our culture has gone into the literal sewer (thanks to leftists), but there are at least a few of us who will fight tooth and nail to keep whatever remains of civil discourse alive.

It may be a losing battle, but in the time the Lord gives me on this earth, I'm not backing down.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #367 on: June 04, 2018, 05:44:07 pm »
One of the worst things about so-called women's "liberation" is that many women have become as vulgar as men.

You and I are both old enough to remember when women (a few outliers excepted) never used foul language, and men only did in the company of other men....NEVER with women around.  Now, especially in the younger generations, no one thinks a thing about it when a female swears like a longshoreman.  :shrug:

Of course, the days of polite conversation are long gone and our culture has gone into the literal sewer (thanks to leftists), but there are at least a few of us who will fight tooth and nail to keep whatever remains of civil discourse alive.

It may be a losing battle, but in the time the Lord gives me on this earth, I'm not backing down.

@musiclady
It is funny how that works...

I too am old enough to remember, and was in fact raised that way. Deference to the weaker sex is a matter of honor, lending respect.

But what of honor, when it is no longer recognized as currency? Honor between men is a wholly different thing. Honor toward women is an artificial mode, useful only in the realm of polite society. A single man is seldom accepted therein - He is either there as an apprentice or agent of another man, or he is there because he has a woman. By its nature, polite society does not trust an unattached male, and largely denies access, even if he comes from polite stock, and especially so in this day and age.

A man in himself is nothing but a creature of merit and competition. He has no innate need for polite society, or society at all ~ I can function quite well on the other side of the tracks, or over the next range, deep in wilderness where women never go... The only thing tying me to society is the love and comfort of a woman, and nothing else.

What women need to know, both individually and in the aggregate, is that polite society is wholly a construct built by men for women - A sheltered environment for women that tends exclusively to their needs, wherein a man participates only because an honest woman desires him to. Early on, that is the desire of his familial matriarchy - but he won't stay there on that account for long. It is only for the love of a woman that he remains thus encumbered.

A woman really only does two things for a man, without which, he can function well, albeit imperfectly - She can see his heart, and she reminds him of his honor. That is the benefit toward man in the whole of polite society. Those are not small things, but they are things he does not require, and must be shown in order to experience the effective improvement... The impact upon his existence.

He does it for a woman. Period.

If women scoff at honor, if women scold attempts toward genteel manners, if young women are taught to use their visceral power over men (their bodies) to get their way, from a man's perspective, there is no need for polite society at all.

So do not blame men for the coarsening of society - Men are of a coarse nature. It is the women who need polite society - a safe place for hearth and home, where women can join together to provide for rearing children and caring for elders. It is the women's way that has been corrupted. Men are only doing what women will settle for.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #368 on: June 04, 2018, 06:33:04 pm »
@musiclady
It is funny how that works...

I too am old enough to remember, and was in fact raised that way. Deference to the weaker sex is a matter of honor, lending respect.

But what of honor, when it is no longer recognized as currency? Honor between men is a wholly different thing. Honor toward women is an artificial mode, useful only in the realm of polite society. A single man is seldom accepted therein - He is either there as an apprentice or agent of another man, or he is there because he has a woman. By its nature, polite society does not trust an unattached male, and largely denies access, even if he comes from polite stock, and especially so in this day and age.

A man in himself is nothing but a creature of merit and competition. He has no innate need for polite society, or society at all ~ I can function quite well on the other side of the tracks, or over the next range, deep in wilderness where women never go... The only thing tying me to society is the love and comfort of a woman, and nothing else.

What women need to know, both individually and in the aggregate, is that polite society is wholly a construct built by men for women - A sheltered environment for women that tends exclusively to their needs, wherein a man participates only because an honest woman desires him to. Early on, that is the desire of his familial matriarchy - but he won't stay there on that account for long. It is only for the love of a woman that he remains thus encumbered.

A woman really only does two things for a man, without which, he can function well, albeit imperfectly - She can see his heart, and she reminds him of his honor. That is the benefit toward man in the whole of polite society. Those are not small things, but they are things he does not require, and must be shown in order to experience the effective improvement... The impact upon his existence.

He does it for a woman. Period.

If women scoff at honor, if women scold attempts toward genteel manners, if young women are taught to use their visceral power over men (their bodies) to get their way, from a man's perspective, there is no need for polite society at all.

So do not blame men for the coarsening of society - Men are of a coarse nature. It is the women who need polite society - a safe place for hearth and home, where women can join together to provide for rearing children and caring for elders. It is the women's way that has been corrupted. Men are only doing what women will settle for.

Sorry, friend, but that's a copout.  Men can be genteel if they are raised properly and obey God's laws.

The fault, no matter how eloquent your arguments for tradition and 'hearth and home,' is with BOTH genders.

Saying otherwise is looking at the issue half blind.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #369 on: June 04, 2018, 07:01:59 pm »
Sorry, friend, but that's a copout.  Men can be genteel if they are raised properly and obey God's laws.

The fault, no matter how eloquent your arguments for tradition and 'hearth and home,' is with BOTH genders.

Saying otherwise is looking at the issue half blind.

Nope. Men have no innate need for it - and women do.

Online goatprairie

« Reply #370 on: June 04, 2018, 07:27:05 pm »

The wife and I watched the cable series "Dexter" about a serial killer (played by Michael C. Hall) who satisfies his urge to kill by capturing and killing other serial killers.
While we enjoyed the series overall, there was one character, Dexter's sister, (played by Jennifer Carpenter) who was a police officer and who had the foulest mouth of any character I've ever seen on screen or tv.
She was so obnoxiously vulgar, I detested her character and wished Dexter would do her in as well as all the other evil people he killed.
Her character was, by far, the most obnoxious character I've ever watched on tv or the movies.
I don't know what type of men find that kind of language attractive, but it wasn't me.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #371 on: June 04, 2018, 07:53:36 pm »
The wife and I watched the cable series "Dexter" about a serial killer (played by Michael C. Hall) who satisfies his urge to kill by capturing and killing other serial killers.
While we enjoyed the series overall, there was one character, Dexter's sister, (played by Jennifer Carpenter) who was a police officer and who had the foulest mouth of any character I've ever seen on screen or tv.
She was so obnoxiously vulgar, I detested her character and wished Dexter would do her in as well as all the other evil people he killed.
Her character was, by far, the most obnoxious character I've ever watched on tv or the movies.
I don't know what type of men find that kind of language attractive, but it wasn't me.

So....because the woman character swore like a trooper, you wished Dexter would have killed her.

Do you see any 'problem' with your reasoning?   :shrug:    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline musiclady

« Reply #372 on: June 04, 2018, 08:27:29 pm »
Nope. Men have no innate need for it - and women do.

You are ignoring the basic truth that both men and women are sinful, and that both can be equally redeemed from that sin.  You are ignoring God's redemptive power in men and seem to be saying that because they have an "innate need" to be vulgar, that they somehow should be excused.

And in doing that, you are laying all the blame for the coarseness of today's culture on women.

Which, of course, is ridiculous on its face.

My question is, why do you think so little of men, and why do you not recognize that behavior can be modified through the grace of God?

Again, your insistence on (your personal perception and ideas about) tradition is interfering with your acceptance of God's laws and spiritual truth.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 08:28:26 pm by musiclady »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #373 on: June 04, 2018, 08:40:19 pm »
 *****rollingeyes*****

Offline musiclady

« Reply #374 on: June 04, 2018, 08:46:30 pm »
*****rollingeyes*****

Use self-control and stay out of this discussion.  The men on this forum don't need your help.  :dx1: