Author Topic: BREAKING: ABC cancels 'Roseanne' following tweet on Valerie Jarrett  (Read 26710 times)

Offline Hoodat

Re: BREAKING: ABC cancels 'Roseanne' following tweet on Valerie Jarrett
« Reply #250 on: May 31, 2018, 02:28:07 am »
@Hoodat, I'm absolutely NOT trying to say any of the comments those people made are okay.  And as far as I could tell, they were all called out for their statements.  I agree with you; they were awful.

@LauraTXNM

Thank you for your candor and open-mindedness.  Do you now see that there is a sizable double-standard at work here too?  Seriously, imagine if Donald Trump had made the same racially insensitive remarks that Joe Biden made.  Or if someone like Greg Gutfield made the same profanity-filled tweets that Keith Olbermann posts.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 02:28:51 am by Hoodat »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #251 on: May 31, 2018, 02:29:05 am »
They were probably so used to calling him that behind his back that they didn't think twice when typing it.  But typo?  No friggin' way.  Nobody 'accidentally' types that word.
I occasionally double tap a key, but that's one I think I'd have been especially careful with.

Could be they were having some sort of muscle tremor, too. Maybe their 'meds' were overdue......
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #252 on: May 31, 2018, 02:30:19 am »
Could be they were having some sort of muscle tremor, too. Maybe their 'meds' were overdue......

Could it be .  .  . 

A M B I E N ?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #253 on: May 31, 2018, 04:01:47 am »
Could it be .  .  . 

A M B I E N ?
:silly:

Yeah, that's it! :silly:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #254 on: May 31, 2018, 04:17:36 am »
@Hoodat, Sorry I missed that one.  Eek -- That's a terrible typo!!!

@LauraTXNM

Seems obvious to me a typo. A funny one,but still a typo. Hard to believe that there were no producers double-checking the spelling of Niger's name,though.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #255 on: May 31, 2018, 04:22:00 am »
Typo?  I think not.

@Hoodat

Pretty much has to be a honest mistake. The people that do the electronic cue cards just ain't paid enough to be able to afford to do something like that on purposes.

It is hard to believe that there was no producer assigned to double check the spelling of Niger's first name every time he appears,though. The laws of averages says that sooner or later that was going to happen.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #256 on: May 31, 2018, 04:26:07 am »
They were probably so used to calling him that behind his back that they didn't think twice when typing it.  But typo?  No friggin' way.  Nobody 'accidentally' types that word.

@Hoodat

I quit watching the political shows several years ago,but to the best of my memory Niger Innis was/is NOT a bomb thrower that runs around creating controversy and headlines.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #257 on: May 31, 2018, 05:00:45 am »
@LauraTXNM

Thank you for your candor and open-mindedness.  Do you now see that there is a sizable double-standard at work here too?  Seriously, imagine if Donald Trump had made the same racially insensitive remarks that Joe Biden made.  Or if someone like Greg Gutfield made the same profanity-filled tweets that Keith Olbermann posts.

@Hoodat, I don't see the double standard because all of these liberal people did get in trouble and had to apologize.  Just like Roseanne made nasty comments previously and was criticized.  Unfortunately, Donald Trump has also made some really nasty comments, both in public and in what he thought were private settings.  They have all gotten bad press and probably hate mail for these "mistakes".  I think Trump and Olbermann are the only two who don't apologize. 

Keith Olbermann is the weirdest to me, because apparently swearing about sports and politics and everything else is his main means of communication -- so he is the example that might fit what you're talking about.  I will say, he did apologize to Betsy DeVos, and the especially terrible "F*** f*** f***" tweet was proven a fake.  But yuck.

Anyway, Roseanne Barr had to sink even lower than all these people to get fired (apparently Olbermann has been fired countless times for being a jerk).  And she can't seem to stop -- she said her tweet was inexcusable and racist, but she's still tweeting!

BTW, I'm still trying to find racist examples from Jimmy Kimmel or another "late night host", because it's been mentioned so many times.  @anybody have an example?  When I find something, I'll post it.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #258 on: May 31, 2018, 05:03:57 am »
Keith Olbermann is the weirdest to me, because apparently swearing about sports and politics and everything else is his main means of communication -- so he is the example that might fit what you're talking about.  I will say, he did apologize to Betsy DeVos, and the especially terrible "F*** f*** f***" tweet was proven a fake.  But yuck.
@LauraTXNM
Three things are guaranteed in this life---death, taxes, and Keith Olbermann being fired, often within almost a blink of him being re-hired.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline thackney

« Reply #259 on: May 31, 2018, 12:26:05 pm »
There is a general societal idea that it's stupid to make fun of someone because of his race, gender, membership in a group.  There are enough reasons to despise a person because of his individual personality ;).  Stereotyping is a very blunt and lazy way to put someone down.

@LauraTXNM

I don't believe society in general agrees with the last.  If you choose to join the Nazi Party, most would agree they are fair game for ridicule.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

« Reply #260 on: May 31, 2018, 12:32:40 pm »
BTW, I'm still trying to find racist examples from Jimmy Kimmel or another "late night host", because it's been mentioned so many times.  @anybody have an example?  When I find something, I'll post it.

Do you find sexists comments more acceptable than racists comments?

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/d3wj97/the-man-show-jimmy-kimmel-sexist
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline aligncare

« Reply #261 on: May 31, 2018, 12:38:57 pm »
It will be irrelevant when they stop asking all those questions about race/ethnicity on applications. :shrug:

We’ve become so race sensitive that I recall hearing police issue a ‘be on the lookout’ warning where the suspect’s race is deliberately omitted.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #262 on: May 31, 2018, 12:47:56 pm »
We’ve become so race sensitive that I recall hearing police issue a ‘be on the lookout’ warning where the suspect’s race is deliberately omitted.

Which anyone with a modicum of common sense automatically understands to mean that the perp is not white.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 12:48:27 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #263 on: May 31, 2018, 02:38:55 pm »
@Hoodat

I quit watching the political shows several years ago,but to the best of my memory Niger Innis was/is NOT a bomb thrower that runs around creating controversy and headlines.

@sneakypete

Heavens no.  Innis is far worse than that.  He is a Conservative who happens to be black.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #264 on: May 31, 2018, 03:03:59 pm »
@sneakypete

Heavens no.  In

Innis is far worse than that.  He is a Conservative who happens to be black.

@Hoodat

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I THOUGHT that might be true,but it has been so long I wasn't sure.

It does explain why the Tan Klan wasn't in a uproar about it happening,though. They clearly think that any black that isn't a leftist is a bleep.

Just one of many reasons to hate the left.

Offline AmericanaPrime

• Americana Prime
« Reply #265 on: May 31, 2018, 03:23:31 pm »
I'd Argue Samantha Bees comment is far worse, at least Roseanne was on Hypnotic (actual classification) drugs at 2 in the morning. Samantha was sober on broadcast TV. Roseanne was wrong, and I can see why she was cancelled, but Samantha was vile.
Visit my website @ AmericanaPrime.com!

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #266 on: May 31, 2018, 04:22:29 pm »
Thanks to all this PC bullshit that now has us walking on eggshells unless you are the preferred aggrieved race and religion, we as a society will be perfectly conditioned and groomed for Sharia Law to be implemented without so much as a grunt of opposition once the muzzie population hits around 30% if not sooner.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline musiclady

« Reply #267 on: May 31, 2018, 05:21:13 pm »
@sneakypete

Heavens no.  Innis is far worse than that.  He is a Conservative who happens to be black.

Yep.  The unforgivable sin.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #268 on: May 31, 2018, 06:02:27 pm »
Which anyone with a modicum of common sense automatically understands to mean that the perp is not white.

IMO, that's 'racist'.

....a little bit...little bit.    :laugh:   

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #269 on: May 31, 2018, 08:19:22 pm »

IMO, that's 'racist'.

I'll just blame it on the indoctrination I've received from the MSM.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #270 on: May 31, 2018, 08:36:32 pm »

I'll just blame it on the indoctrination I've received from the MSM.

Just being alive, probably.   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #271 on: May 31, 2018, 10:28:16 pm »

IMO, that's 'racist'.

@DCPatriot

Not to mention a whole LOT factual.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #272 on: May 31, 2018, 10:29:29 pm »
@DCPatriot

Not to mention a whole LOT factual.

^-^

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #273 on: May 31, 2018, 10:35:10 pm »
Depends on the new outlet.  In some cities one local network, for instance CBS, will report a crime, tell the sex, size, and clothing of the perp without mentioning color.
However the ABC or NBC  site for the city might mention race reporting on the same crime.
At any rate, whenever they fail to mention their color, it's automatically assumed by many commenters that the perps are black..... which is not always the case.
Many news outlets have dropped their comments sections due to the amount of racist comments.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 10:36:32 pm by goatprairie »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #274 on: June 01, 2018, 01:42:26 pm »
Iowahawk tweets:

David Burge  @iowahawkblog
2m2 minutes ago

The conclusion to all social media "controversial statement" dustups:
1. One side gets a scalp
2. The other side gets a martyr
3. In the end, everybody's happy
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org