Author Topic: BREAKING: ABC cancels 'Roseanne' following tweet on Valerie Jarrett  (Read 26730 times)

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
Re: BREAKING: ABC cancels 'Roseanne' following tweet on Valerie Jarrett
« Reply #225 on: May 30, 2018, 09:45:58 pm »
@Oceander

Why? What's so special about African whatevers that we must avoid ever offending one of them at all costs? If your ancestors came from Africa and that offends you,it is YOUR problem,not mine.

You obviously believe it to be an accurate observation or you wouldn't be in such a panic to shut it down. If it's not accurate,it will die a natural death.

@sneakypete   I'm not sure you and I ever finished talking about the racial stereotype question. 

There is a general societal idea that it's stupid to make fun of someone because of his race, gender, membership in a group.  There are enough reasons to despise a person because of his individual personality ;).  Stereotyping is a very blunt and lazy way to put someone down.

Moreover, in the not-so-recent history of the US, people were actively categorized and discriminated against because of their race, right?  They were called names, denied jobs, not allowed to get married or buy houses, etc. 

A powerful part of that "dehumanizing" was giving groups derogatory names and comparing them to animals.  Sure, "Heeb" comes from "Hebrew".  But it's not a name Jews chose to call themselves, and it was used as a rude slur, like "spic" or "chink".  Those words also might derive from the group's actual names, but they aren't terms of endearment.  Neither is making comments about a group's supposed stereotypical physical characteristics, or comparing people to animals. 

It's just not kind or civil; it reminds people of horrible things that happened as recently as their grandparents' time.  This is one reason education about the Holocaust is so important, trying to prevent the "othering" that began with caricatures and nasty names. 

I don't know if this helps you understand where I'm coming from.  But I'd be happy to talk to you about this any time ;).
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #226 on: May 30, 2018, 09:50:07 pm »
@sneakypete   I'm not sure you and I ever finished talking about the racial stereotype question. 

There is a general societal idea that it's stupid to make fun of someone because of his race, gender, membership in a group.  There are enough reasons to despise a person because of his individual personality ;).  Stereotyping is a very blunt and lazy way to put someone down.

Moreover, in the not-so-recent history of the US, people were actively categorized and discriminated against because of their race, right?  They were called names, denied jobs, not allowed to get married or buy houses, etc. 

A powerful part of that "dehumanizing" was giving groups derogatory names and comparing them to animals.  Sure, "Heeb" comes from "Hebrew".  But it's not a name Jews chose to call themselves, and it was used as a rude slur, like "spic" or "chink".  Those words also might derive from the group's actual names, but they aren't terms of endearment.  Neither is making comments about a group's supposed stereotypical physical characteristics, or comparing people to animals. 

It's just not kind or civil; it reminds people of horrible things that happened as recently as their grandparents' time.  This is one reason education about the Holocaust is so important, trying to prevent the "othering" that began with caricatures and nasty names. 

I don't know if this helps you understand where I'm coming from.  But I'd be happy to talk to you about this any time ;).
@LauraTXNM

Although she happens to support Donald Trump, conservatives absolutely should not feel compelled to defend Roseanne . . . Is someone like her really someone that conservatives should want as a representative of their side, anyway? I suppose I can understand how the dearth of conservatives in Hollywood might make conservatives feel compelled to just support whomever they can get, but anyone with a shred of respect or intelligence should think twice before defending a racist tweet from an unhinged conspiracy theorist. Principles should always come before party — and an opposition to racism should always be among your principles.
---Katherine Timpf, for National Review
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 09:50:40 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #227 on: May 30, 2018, 09:53:06 pm »
Yes, @EasyAce ;).  Thank you!
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Online corbe

« Reply #228 on: May 30, 2018, 10:32:42 pm »
   I, too love Katherine's interpretation of all this current Roseanne crap (usually she's not this perceptive).  I sure wish Trump had not originally called or tweeted about her show back in March, it seems juvenile to be wrapped up in that shit, especially when you're POTUS.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #229 on: May 30, 2018, 10:46:11 pm »
I had no idea George Bush was black!!!

I had no idea that skin color mattered.  Silly me, stuck in a dream of people being judged on the content of their character rather than the color of their skin.  Half a century later, and all liberals can see is skin color.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #230 on: May 30, 2018, 10:50:58 pm »

"Let me see one of you adopt one of those ugly black babies."

-Ashutosh Ron Virmani-

http://www.lifenews.com/2012/08/06/abortion-practitioner-refers-to-killing-ugly-black-babies/

Now he's awful.  Period.

FINALLY!  This is what it took for someone on the left to be called out for a deplorable heinous statement degrading race.

Here's a hint:  All of those statements were deplorable regardless of the politics, race, etc. of the person saying it.  All racism sucks. Period.  And no, Julianne Malveaux doesn't get a pass because of the skin pigmentation of her parents.  Her statement on hoping a black man dies from what she claims to be stereotypical black behavior is beyond reprehensible.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #231 on: May 30, 2018, 10:54:56 pm »
Still no comment on this one.  Surely there is someone here who has excused every other liberal racist quote posted so far who is willing to excuse this one as well.

(Also still waiting for MSNBC to fire someone over this)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #232 on: May 30, 2018, 11:59:43 pm »

That all sounds good until you consider the tirades against the 'evil (straight) white man' of the past few years, increasingly vitriolic, assuming some level of racism, sexism, and misogyny to the degree that the shoutdown is composed of accusations of one or more of those if that person disagrees with any item of the Liberal agenda..
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #233 on: May 31, 2018, 12:02:27 am »
I had no idea that skin color mattered.  Silly me, stuck in a dream of people being judged on the content of their character rather than the color of their skin.  Half a century later, and all liberals can see is skin color.
It will be irrelevant when they stop asking all those questions about race/ethnicity on applications. :shrug:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #234 on: May 31, 2018, 12:31:15 am »
@sneakypete 
I'm not sure you and I ever finished talking about the racial stereotype question. 

I agree,and that's why it makes no sense for me to everybody to start panicking and wanting to call out the National Guard and a Battalion of lawyers when it happens.  So somebody that doesn't even know you tosses a racial slur your way. BFD! If that is the worse thing that ever happens to you,you will have lived a charmed life.

MOST of that is happening right now to white people,and the same people that piss and moan the loudest about discrimination are the ones doing it. Ever see anyone prominent lose their jobs or be sued for that?

So much for the lie of "We want equality".

I know,but once again,BGD! People are getting upset because people they don't like anyhow are calling them names? The same people THEY call names like "cracka","honkey", and "white devils"?

BTW,I once asked a Chinese friend what they called white people in the privacy of their homes,and he laughed and said "Round-eyed,big-nosed MoFo's". I thought that was hilarious.

I wish someone would educate the Jews about all the Poles,Ukrainians,Gypsies (especially the Gypsies),German homosexuals,petty thief's,and physically or mentally handicapped people were also murdered by the Nazi's.  Jews don't "own" that horror,they only share it.

I am certain you are both concerned and sincere. I'm probably both older and more cynical than you are,though. Back when I was in my teens and 20's,I was probably in agreement with you on all of that,but I have since learned that nothing is ever as simple as it seems because the victors keep editing history for their own personal benefit.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 12:32:49 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #235 on: May 31, 2018, 12:34:20 am »
It will be irrelevant when they stop asking all those questions about race/ethnicity on applications. :shrug:

@Smokin Joe

Amazing,ain't it?

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #236 on: May 31, 2018, 12:37:14 am »
On the census form, I always create my own box, and check 'American'.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online corbe

« Reply #237 on: May 31, 2018, 12:47:11 am »
Ambien Drug Maker to Roseanne: ‘Racism Not a Known Side Effect’

by BEN KEW
30 May 2018

The producer of the sedative drug Ambien said “racism is not a known side effect” of their medication after actress Roseanne Barr claimed it might have affected her judgment when she made a racist remark about former Obama advisor Valerie Jarrett.

“People of all races, religions, and nationalities work at Sanofi every day to improve the lives of people around the world,” wrote the pharmaceutical company Sanofi on Twitter. “While all pharmaceutical treatments have side effects, racism is not a known side effect of any Sanofi medication.”

<..snip..>

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2018/05/30/ambien-drug-maker-to-roseanne-racism-not-a-known-side-effect/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #238 on: May 31, 2018, 12:51:48 am »

by BEN KEW
30 May 2018

The producer of the sedative drug Ambien said “racism is not a known side effect” of their medication ....

@corbe  You just couldn't make up stuff that funny if you tried.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #239 on: May 31, 2018, 01:39:15 am »
Still no comment on this one.  Surely there is someone here who has excused every other liberal racist quote posted so far who is willing to excuse this one as well.

(Also still waiting for MSNBC to fire someone over this)

@Hoodat, Sorry I missed that one.  Eek -- That's a terrible typo!!!

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #240 on: May 31, 2018, 01:39:32 am »

by BEN KEW
30 May 2018

The producer of the sedative drug Ambien said “racism is not a known side effect” of their medication after actress Roseanne Barr claimed it might have affected her judgment when she made a racist remark about former Obama advisor Valerie Jarrett.

“People of all races, religions, and nationalities work at Sanofi every day to improve the lives of people around the world,” wrote the pharmaceutical company Sanofi on Twitter. “While all pharmaceutical treatments have side effects, racism is not a known side effect of any Sanofi medication.”

<..snip..>

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2018/05/30/ambien-drug-maker-to-roseanne-racism-not-a-known-side-effect/
@corbe

Been using it for a long time . . .

! No longer available

. . . and I'm not a racist.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #241 on: May 31, 2018, 01:41:18 am »

Typo?  I think not.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #242 on: May 31, 2018, 01:42:48 am »
@LauraTXNM
Apparently, Innis himself waved it off, according to the Associated Press at that time in 2002:

Shortly after [the graphic] appeared, correspondent Gregg Jarrett offered Innis a “profuse apology.”

“Oh, God, I thought you guys thought I was a rapper or something,” Innis replied. “Media bias continues. Just kidding. It’s not the first time it’s happened, but hopefully it’s the last.”

It was strictly a typographical mistake, network spokesman Mark O’Connor said Thursday. He wouldn’t say whether any disciplinary action was taken against the person who made the blunder.

I'm pretty sure a typographical mistake, if that's actually what it was, would only have gotten the one responsible for it an internal reprimand.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 01:43:45 am by EasyAce »

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #243 on: May 31, 2018, 01:43:58 am »
@LauraTXNM
Apparently, Innis himself waved it off, according to the Associated Press at that time in 2002:

Shortly after [the graphic] appeared, correspondent Gregg Jarrett offered Innis a “profuse apology.”

“Oh, God, I thought you guys thought I was a rapper or something,” Innis replied. “Media bias continues. Just kidding. It’s not the first time it’s happened, but hopefully it’s the last.”

It was strictly a typographical mistake, network spokesman Mark O’Connor said Thursday. He wouldn’t say whether any disciplinary action was taken against the person who made the blunder.

I'm pretty sure a typographical mistake, if that's actually what it was, would only have gotten the one responsible for it an internal reprimand.

Thanks, @EasyAce!

Online corbe

« Reply #244 on: May 31, 2018, 01:47:42 am »
  I just realized his name really is Niger (without the added 'g') Innis, sure it's a typo.  /s

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #245 on: May 31, 2018, 01:48:14 am »
@Hoodat, I'm absolutely NOT trying to say any of the comments those people made are okay.  And as far as I could tell, they were all called out for their statements.  I agree with you; they were awful. 

Offline EasyAce

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #247 on: May 31, 2018, 02:08:29 am »
lack or loss of self-control

It's down the list, but it is here: https://www.drugs.com/sfx/ambien-side-effects.html

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #248 on: May 31, 2018, 02:10:17 am »
Typo?  I think not.
Uh huh. "Accidentally on purpose" was the phrase we used as kids.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #249 on: May 31, 2018, 02:18:20 am »
Uh huh. "Accidentally on purpose" was the phrase we used as kids.

They were probably so used to calling him that behind his back that they didn't think twice when typing it.  But typo?  No friggin' way.  Nobody 'accidentally' types that word.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-