Author Topic: BREAKING: ABC cancels 'Roseanne' following tweet on Valerie Jarrett  (Read 26710 times)

Oceander

Re: BREAKING: ABC cancels 'Roseanne' following tweet on Valerie Jarrett
« Reply #175 on: May 30, 2018, 07:50:32 pm »
Ah, moral relativism.  How quaint.  I guess you get to be the arbiter of what crosses the line and what does not.  Convenient for you, eh?

And for the record, I am in no way defending Barr.  But I do recognize a double-standard when I see it.  (See:  Joy Reid - PMSNBC)

You wouldn’t see the trees if you walked face-first in to one, because you don’t want to. 

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #176 on: May 30, 2018, 07:52:11 pm »
Trees?  I have posted several trees on this thread, yet you argue that they are merely bushes and shrubs immune to the standard being applied to Barr.  Hypocrite much?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #177 on: May 30, 2018, 07:53:49 pm »
"Let me see one of you adopt one of those ugly black babies."

-Ashutosh Ron Virmani-

http://www.lifenews.com/2012/08/06/abortion-practitioner-refers-to-killing-ugly-black-babies/
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #178 on: May 30, 2018, 07:56:24 pm »
  R A C I S T ! ! !

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Oceander

« Reply #179 on: May 30, 2018, 07:57:03 pm »
Trees?  I have posted several trees on this thread, yet you argue that they are merely bushes and shrubs immune to the standard being applied to Barr.  Hypocrite much?

No, you haven’t.   Not one of your posts reaches the same dehumanizing level that Roseanne’s comment hit. 

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #180 on: May 30, 2018, 07:57:32 pm »
You wouldn’t see the trees if you walked face-first in to one, because you don’t want to.

@Oceander
Are you saying you want to walk face first into some wood?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Oceander

« Reply #181 on: May 30, 2018, 07:58:05 pm »
  R A C I S T ! ! !

Not in context.  Offensive, yes, but not in the same way that calling African Americans a monkey is offensive. 

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #182 on: May 30, 2018, 07:58:08 pm »
“You cannot go to a 7-11 or Dunkin Donuts unless you have a slight Indian Accent.”

-Joe Biden-

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #183 on: May 30, 2018, 07:58:20 pm »
And let's not forget Robert Byrd.  Never recall seeing any liberals demanding his resignation.

! No longer available

@Hoodat, What did you think of Bill Clinton's comment in that video?

I've always been fascinated by Robert Byrd and George Wallace, because they changed (or didn't) so much.  Yes, liberals despise doing Byrd through the 1960s.  He began disavowing his views on race and his earlier votes in the 1970s and I think worked not entirely successfully but maybe sincerely to repair some of the damage he'd done. 

The Tony Snow interview from 2001 (clipped in the video) is a good example to me of someone who still doesn't fully "get" it but is trying:

"[Race relations] are much, much better than they've ever been in my life-time....  I think we talk about race too much.  I think those problems are largely behind us....  I just think we talk so much about it that we help to create somewhat of an illusion.  I think we try to have good will.  My old mom told me, 'Robert, you can't go to heaven if you hate anybody.'  We practice that.  There are white n----rs.  I've seen a lot of white n----rs in my time, if you want to use that word.  We just need to work together to make our country a better country, and I'd just as soon quit talking about it so much."

Incidentally, the NAACP and other people called him out for the n comment, and he apologized for it as "a phrase that dates back to my boyhood and has no place in today's society....  In my attempt to articulate strongly held feelings, I may have offended people."  He got reamed for it and had to apologize.

Honestly, I can imagine my grandfather, and a lot of other older people I've known, making a very similar statement to the one Robert Byrd did.  I've read similar sentiments for years, from people both Northern and Southern.   BTW, like Atticus Finch, my family didn't use the n word; they called those people "white trash".   But that may just have been the luck of the draw for me.

The big question I have is, would Robert Byrd be electable today?  No.  Neither would Bill Clinton.  And if anyone but Donald Trump had made the comments he had, I don't think he would have been elected either.

the NAACP regularly called him out,
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Oceander

« Reply #184 on: May 30, 2018, 07:58:34 pm »
@Oceander

/snicker

Read much?

Oceander

« Reply #185 on: May 30, 2018, 07:59:08 pm »
“You cannot go to a 7-11 or Dunkin Donuts unless you have a slight Indian Accent.”

-Joe Biden-

Not dehumanizing.  Therefore misses the mark. 

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #186 on: May 30, 2018, 08:00:33 pm »
/snicker

Read much?

@Oceander
All the time, which is why I know when someone is deflecting.   

Integrity - its not just for kids any more.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #187 on: May 30, 2018, 08:00:48 pm »
Not dehumanizing.  Therefore misses the mark.

Your white privilege is blinding you.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Roseanne Barr Quits Twitter Over Racist Tweet
« Reply #188 on: May 30, 2018, 08:03:06 pm »
Immediately lost her top rated hit show, also her syndicated shows were taken off air. Probably the most expensive tweet in history.

@aligncare

You can be sure nobody hates her more than the rest of her cast and crew. Not only are they out of jobs now in the middle of the season where there are no new job openings,but I suspect more than a few of them turned down other jobs to get on what they thought would be a long-running secure job.

If she had just screwed up her own stuff,no big deal,but she probably screwed 50 to 100 people with her brain farts. Maybe more if you want to include the associated craft workers that served the show in one way or another. She,as the "Big Name" of the show had a responsibility towards those people even if she wasn't aware of it or didn't care. I personally hope she never gets hired to anything but menial work like picking up trash or washing dishes for the rest of her life.

Yeah,I know she has a winery and interests in other businesses,but if you don't think the Hollywood left is doing the research to get her booted from them or boycott them into bankruptcy,you shouldn't be allowed to cross the street by yourself. They are not only going to destroy her with blackballing her for jobs and investments,but they are going to look for things to keep her tied up in civil courts facing lawsuits until she is broke and living on SS.

The "intellectual left" like to play at being open-minded,but are some of the most viscous people in the world if you cross them and cost them money.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 08:04:10 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #189 on: May 30, 2018, 08:05:27 pm »
@Oceander

Yes, saying you wish someone dead is more offensive then calling them an ape.   That wasn't even a difficult question.

@driftdiver No, it's horrible in a different way.  And in this case, her death wish is not because he's black, but because of him as an individual.  Saying that many black people have heart disease and you wish they'd all die from it faster -- now that is both hateful and racist.  Like Robert Byrd's mother said, you won't go to heaven if you hate anybody.  Malveaux was hateful there.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #190 on: May 30, 2018, 08:05:45 pm »
How many times did liberals call Bush an ape?

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Doesn't matter. Boy Jorge is white,and ALL white people are debbils.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #191 on: May 30, 2018, 08:08:05 pm »
@driftdiver No, it's horrible in a different way.  And in this case, her death wish is not because he's black, but because of him as an individual.  Saying that many black people have heart disease and you wish they'd all die from it faster -- now that is both hateful and racist.  Like Robert Byrd's mother said, you won't go to heaven if you hate anybody.  Malveaux was hateful there.

oh good grief

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #192 on: May 30, 2018, 08:09:29 pm »
(Obama’s) a nice person, he’s very articulate this is what’s been used against him, but he couldn’t sell watermelons if it, you gave him the state troopers to flag down the traffic.

-Dan Rather-

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/geoffrey-dickens/2010/03/08/dan-rather-articulate-obama-couldnt-even-sell-watermelons

@Hoodat  Great example!  He tried to explain it and apologize, but he caught a lot of flak.  If he'd still been a network anchor, he might have been fired.  As it was, everyone from NYMagazine to Essence gave him hell.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #193 on: May 30, 2018, 08:10:21 pm »
@Oceander

****drummer
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #194 on: May 30, 2018, 08:10:53 pm »
“I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy.I mean, that’s a storybook, man.”

-Joe Biden-

@Hoodat Yep, got holy hell for that.  Probably has ruined his chances for the presidency (aside from all the other stuff ;)).

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #195 on: May 30, 2018, 08:11:38 pm »
"A few years ago, (Baraq Obama) would have been getting us coffee."

-Bill Clinton-

@Hoodat, Is that racist?

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #196 on: May 30, 2018, 08:14:55 pm »
I wonder if anyone else has noticed: if you put Roseanne Barr's hair atop Valerie Jarrett's head, Valerie Jarrett would look far more like Roseanne Barr than like anyone from Planet of the Apes.

That said, ABC bringing back Roseanne Barr equaled riding a sabertooth, and their canning her equals dismounting the sabertooth before she could swallow them alive, as surely she would have done in short enough order even if she wasn't a racist. Being the unhinged nutbag she's been for a long enough time would have been enough to swallow ABC.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #197 on: May 30, 2018, 08:16:25 pm »
Wow... Valerie Jarrett doesn't even look black.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #198 on: May 30, 2018, 08:23:05 pm »
I did read the book, years ago, and I don't remember much about it. 

Yes, Homo Sapiens Sapiens are one species, and the differences between us are less than the differences between us and any of the other great apes.  While our DNA is very similar to chimps in particular, we are still far removed from them, both in time, culture and DNA.  So, to compare one segment of our species to apes doesn't make sense and can be seen as insulting to that segment.  Or, to the apes if you dislike humans as so many on the left seem to.

But those facts don't really matter that much - it's that making the comparison to apes and monkeys has historically been an integral part of racially denigrating a segment of society.  And, of course, it's not only black people.  I remember one English cartoon about the Irish that depicted them as slavering apes.

And let's not forget the posters depicting Germans as pigs during WW-1. It's so common it's not really anything to get worked up over.

Why not go ahead and "speak" out loud the fact that everyone is dancing around and hoping nobody notices? Many Africans have faces that resemble those of apes physically,and when the white man first went to Africa,the Africans weren't evolved very far past the ape level culturally,either. Hell,in the 1960's the Simba tribe had a medicine man telling the men in his tribe to attack Stanleyville and take it from the white man without fear because he had cast a spell that made the white man's bullets harmless,and these dweebs believed it.

The Simbas were cooking and eating white people in the streets when the French Foreign Legion and the Belgian paratroopers jumped in to restore order,and then they suddenly heard their mamas calling and had to run back home. Facing the FFL and Belgian paratroopers wasn't as much fun as facing housewives and children.

I remember that incident very well because I was one of a couple hundred guys sitting out on the runway at Pope AFB for a couple of days,wearing civilian clothes and waiting to see if we were going to parachute in there ourselves. Once the UN decided to send in the FFL and the Belgians,we were released back to our normal duty.

Think about it,this was 1965,and these people still believed in magic spells that could make them bulletproof.

Here it is in the 21st Century,and in some parts of Africa men with AIDS are raping infants because some witch doctor told them it would cure their AIDS.

Are there blacks that are just as smart and industrious as any other human walking the earth? You bet your butt there are. There are many of them,but there are damn few in Africa,even today.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #199 on: May 30, 2018, 08:23:10 pm »
Here's Sandra Bernhard wishing Sarah Palin be gang-raped by black men (as if that is somehow worse than being gang-raped by white men).

! No longer available

@Hoodat, Thank you!  Yes, she's professionally awful, kind of like Roseanne Barr.  But did you notice that comment wasn't in your video?  That's because it actually didn't happen, and even so, she lost work because of it.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/02/sandra-bernhard-denies-re_n_131326.html
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 08:24:09 pm by LauraTXNM »