Author Topic: Ten Greatest Wrecks  (Read 718 times)

rangerrebew

Ten Greatest Wrecks
« on: May 28, 2018, 05:13:34 pm »
 Ten Greatest Wrecks

RMS Titanic

By JAMES P. DELGADO

Monday, March 11, 2013
North Atlantic Ocean

The best known maritime disaster of the past few centuries, the sinking of Titanic is remembered for the failure of an engineering marvel equipped with technological advances that were, at the time, believed to render it “practically unsinkable.” The luxury liner took some 1,500 of its 2,200 passengers, from rich and prominent aristocrats to poor immigrants, with it when it struck an iceberg and sank into waters two-and-a-half miles deep. The disaster has inspired countless songs, memorials, books, and films, as well as laws to prevent other ships from going to sea without enough lifeboats and to compel nearby ships to respond to calls for help. Discovered by a joint U.S.-French expedition led by Jean-Louis Michel and Robert D. Ballard in 1985, the wreck of Titanic proved an irresistible lure for explorers, salvagers, and aficionados. Since 1986, more than a hundred deep-sea dives to the wreck have been made, some 5,500 artifacts have been recovered by a private company for public exhibition, and a variety of films, including the James Cameron blockbuster, have been shot at depths once thought inaccessible

https://www.archaeology.org/exclusives/articles/87-greatest-wrecks

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Ten Greatest Wrecks
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 05:21:27 pm »
#11: Dodi Fayed and Princess Die......

#12: Jane Mansfield....

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 05:27:38 pm »
I don't see any of TBR threads listed.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 05:28:17 pm »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 05:51:28 pm »

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 05:54:17 pm »
#11: Dodi Fayed and Princess Die......

I don't remember seeing this photo before.  Wow.  Sobering --- in the truest sense of the word. 

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 11:47:10 pm »
I don't remember seeing this photo before.  Wow.  Sobering --- in the truest sense of the word.

! No longer available
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn