Author Topic: Seized fentanyl enough to kill 26M people, Nebraska police say  (Read 1980 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Seized fentanyl enough to kill 26M people, Nebraska police say
Bradford Betz

Nebraska authorities seized 118 pounds of fentanyl – a highly addictive opiate – during a routine truck stop last month. Nebraska State Patrol said Thursday that the seizure was the largest in the state’s history, and “one of the largest ever in the U.S.”

The quantity was enough to kill more than 26 million people, the Kansas City Star reported.

A state trooper had observed a suspicious semi the morning of April 26 in Kearney, about 200 miles west of Omaha.

Read more at: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/seized-fentanyl-enough-to-kill-26m-people-nebraska-police-say/ar-AAxMOID?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Seized fentanyl enough to kill 26M people, Nebraska police say
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 09:32:03 pm »
LINCOLN — The year isn’t even half over, but so far in 2018 the Nebraska State Patrol has seized more illegal drugs than in recent years.

Drug bust totals so far this year have totaled about 4,500 pounds of marijuana, 70 pounds of hash, 90 pounds of methamphetamine and 118 pounds of fentanyl.

http://www.omaha.com/news/crime/pounds-of-fentanyl-enough-to-kill-more-than-million-people/article_37809613-706c-54a3-80c6-7c5a3c2b18a3.html
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 09:32:53 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 09:42:55 pm »
Outrageous! Only one thing to do: confiscate everybody's pain pills.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 09:49:53 pm »

:amen:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 11:30:12 pm »
The numbers really don't add up at the link.....

Authorities searched the truck and found a “false compartment” containing “42 foil-wrapped packages containing 73 pounds of cocaine and 44 pounds of unknown powder suspected to be fentanyl, a news release said. 

That cones up a pound short overall from the headline, (must be for ahem....testing!), but 44 pounds is 74 pounds short of 118.....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 11:51:57 pm »

That cones up a pound short overall from the headline, (must be for ahem....testing!), but 44 pounds is 74 pounds short of 118.....

The cops pinched some of the blow?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 11:54:41 pm »
The cops pinched some of the blow?
According to another article, they got the lab results back and there were 118 lbs, all fentanyl (what they had thought might be coke was not).  Good thing they didn't have a party.....and one more good reason to stay honest.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 12:26:57 am »
@Cyber Liberty

Trump will win the war on drugs starting next January, when they won't let you have them, except for 7 pills.  He can say he won the war on drugs since few can be sold.  However, if you can manage to get cancer, you can get more pills.  Plus the Surgeon General/Trump  wants to stop companies from making them.  That's the other way Trump can win the war on drugs.  Dictator Trump doesn't care if you have pain - he wants "credit" for winning the war on drugs.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 01:12:48 am »

I am also suspicious of the flatfooted claim that 118 pounds of even fentanyl would be enough to kill 26 million people (more than 25 million but less than 27 million?).  The DEA website from 2015 says that although the lethal dose for mice has been determined, we don't have any official studies of human lethality.  And it turns out that mouse studies for a lot of toxic compounds are not as useful as we would like for them to be.   

Maybe someone has new data on human toxicity.  Until I see that data, all I am prepared to say is that fentanyl is really bad stuff when mishandled. 

Offline the_doc

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 01:19:06 am »
@Cyber Liberty

Trump will win the war on drugs starting next January, when they won't let you have them, except for 7 pills.  He can say he won the war on drugs since few can be sold.  However, if you can manage to get cancer, you can get more pills.  Plus the Surgeon General/Trump  wants to stop companies from making them.  That's the other way Trump can win the war on drugs.  Dictator Trump doesn't care if you have pain - he wants "credit" for winning the war on drugs.

All I would say about the controversy is what I have seen in my clinical practice:  pain mismanagement and anxiety mismanagement are two of the most serious health problems in America.  Doctors were trained 20 years ago to push narcotics hard for pain and to push benzodiazepines hard for anxiety. It has created a mess.  The toothpaste is way out of the tube.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 02:41:57 am »
I am also suspicious of the flatfooted claim that 118 pounds of even fentanyl would be enough to kill 26 million people (more than 25 million but less than 27 million?).  The DEA website from 2015 says that although the lethal dose for mice has been determined, we don't have any official studies of human lethality.  And it turns out that mouse studies for a lot of toxic compounds are not as useful as we would like for them to be.   

Maybe someone has new data on human toxicity.  Until I see that data, all I am prepared to say is that fentanyl is really bad stuff when mishandled. 

Toxicity:

The toxicity of all drugs is rated on an LD50 scale, whereas the Lethal Dose of 50 percent of humans occurs at a certain scale which is proportionate to body mass. Fentanyl’s LD50 rating is .03 mcg/kg (micrograms per kilogram). Given that a microgram is .001 of a milligram, this equals an average 70 kilogram (155 pound) person requiring 2.1 mgs of fentanyl to kill them. Some, already tolerant to opioids, require more. Some, with no tolerance, require less.

http://dyingwords.net/tag/ld50/#sthash.DNiySvPk.dpbs

Wiki discussion of fentanl. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fentanyl

Note that normal doses for pain are in micrograms, usually transdermal or in losenge form if not administered in a clinical setting. At no time is the powder sold to individuals for direct use.

At 2.1 milligrams LD50.....

((118 lbs/2.2)*1000grams)/.0021=25,541,125 lethal doses for someone with no tolerance built up for opoids weighing 155 lbs. The weight was chosen as an average, and it would theoretically only kill half of those people. Real world results may vary.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 02:42:38 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2018, 04:41:32 am »
Never argue with a man carrying a calculator....
I will NOT comply.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 10:41:43 pm »
@Smokin Joe
@Cyber Liberty

Never argue with a man carrying a calculator....

Oh, I had my calculator going too.  (LOL)

I had already used my calculator to figure out that the reporter in TomSea's posted article had assumed the figure of 2.1 mg as the lethal dose.  But I did not have the Human LD50 data that Joe found.  I wonder how they got the data, BTW.  They certainly did not get it from testing regular scientific volunteers.  This is why good human LD50 data is usually pretty hard to get.  (Maybe they got it from autopsies and other reports from centering on other kinds of "volunteers."  I'll have to check out the citations that Joe's Wikipedia article has.)

Let me 'splain why the data still bother me: 

1)  Based on a human LD50 of 0.03 mcg/kg, the standard 70-kg guy would, indeed, have a 50-percent chance of dying from a transdermal (patch) or sublingual (lozenge) of 2.1 mg.  As Joe's post ultimately reveals, the LD50 figure presented by Wikipedia is obviously the one the reporter used to come up with the figure of 26 million deaths.  (Even reporters and police officers have calculators, of course;  some can even convert mass units as well as Joe and I can.)  However, if the LD50 figure is correct at 0.03 mcg/kg, the number of deaths from 118 pounds of contraband fentanyl would be at most 50 percent of 26 million, i.e., would be less than 13 million.  The reporter overlooked this--which means the reporter is wrong if the Wikipedia figure Joe found is the correct human LD50.

2)  I furthermore submit that contraband fentanyl would be used only by narcotics addicts--probably rather hard-core narcotics addicts for the most part, in fact.  As it turns out, these drug addicts are actually pretty hard to kill with narcotics, even accidentally.  This makes a huge difference in lethality. 

To illustrate the weird phenomenon of opioid tolerance:  the normal human body's physiological demand for complete pain relief (say, relief of pain from failed back surgery) is 100 "morphine equivalents" per day.  However, some years ago, I inherited a bunch of chronic pain patients, handed off to me from a group of retired docs who had started their chronic pain patients on narcotics at (or more likely well below) 100 morphine equivalents per day but had wound up having to ramp up their doses over several years due to the insidious problem of opioid tolerance.  Many of these patients were needing way more than 100 morphine equivalents per day.  A few of these patients were needing 20 TIMES the normal physiological demand for narcotic pain management by the time they came to me.  These doses would be immediately lethal several times over for an opioid-naive patient.  One fellow was taking--not diverting to the black market!--over 2800 morphine-equivalent milligrams of narcotics per day.  When I forced these opioid-habituated guys into weaning programs, it was pretty rough for them.  Their pain would come back with a fury even with modest weaning.  The weaning would also trigger horrible withdrawal symptoms, mainly in the GI tract. 

One of the reasons why I am presenting all of this is to point out that narcotics, although wonderfully important in many medical/surgical situations, are insidiously dangerous, often life-ruining things.  However, the main reason why I am laying this out on this particular thread is to remind TBR members and lurkers that the reporter is way off in his sensationalistic estimate.  Not only is that reporter off by a factor of two, but he is more likely off by a factor of four or five.  (Again, it's because the targeted users of contraband fentanyl are not the "Standard 70-kg Adult."  It's not that the 70-kg weight standard is an invalid assumption, but the fact that the target population is not our society's standard, "clean and sober" medical patient--not even close.  The overall social problem is so bad that we can't even make very useful guesses--unless our guesses are "useful" for selling exciting newspapers.)

3)  Next, let me point out an unrelated reason why I frankly worry about the LD50 being cited by Wikipedia as low as 0.03 mcg/kg, i.e., as low as 2.1 mg per standard subject.  When I looked up fentanyl in my most recent prescribing reference, I discovered that it is approved for chronic pain cases at 2.4 mg transdermally per day.  This transdermal strategy bypasses the liver's "first-pass effect," and it also flattens out the blood concentrations of the drug (dosing it slowly at 0.1 mg/hr), but a subject's liver function (necessary for processing and excretion of the drug) would still appear to be a safety concern for the scenario of repetitive or continuous administration of the drug.  Given the fact of such metabolic unknowns, it would appear that the approved slow-dosing approach might become uncomfortably close to the official LD50 (especially if the approved adult patient is well under 70 kg!).  So, has the LD50 been reliably, precisely measured?  Or has it been merely inferred from a complicated mess of death data?  (I realize that the guidelines for fentanyl dosing are designed to take pharmacokinetics into account--and I would be inclined to trust the guidelines more than I would trust the "measured" (?) LD50--but I am mainly saying that don't like the fact that the reported LD50 number is so low.) 

What is even more worrisome (irksome) in my opinion, if the cited LD50 is correct, is the fact that sublingual administration of fentanyl for bad cancer pain is approved for the standard adult patient at 1.6 mg over only fifteen minutes--i.e., practically instantaneous dosing at a putatively near-lethal dose.    This dosing strategy is approved up to four times per day to be administered only in conjunction with another longer-acting narcotic.  (Oooops.)  Again, is the LD50 for fentanyl really as low as 2.1 mg for the standard adult population?  If it is, how can the medically approved dosing be safe enough to be approved?  (Pain is bad stuff.  Cancer is a bad disease.  But shouldn't physicians be clearly telling their pain-wracked patients that the approved analgesia could very well [perhaps very easily] kill them?)

4) Finally, let me point out something else that is curious about the human LD50 cited as 0.03 mcg/kg (the number that forms the whole basis for my discussion).  I have been reading an official DEA PDF that presents toxicity data from mouse studies of both fentanyl and one of its more toxic relatives, acetyl fentanyl.  (The acetyl form is apparently in circulation in the black market.)  The DEA document (July, 2015) claims that in the mouse studies, the LD50 for fentanyl was determined to be 62 mg/kg.

This is 2 million times higher than the figure that Smokin Joe found for humans.  Different species can have remarkably different responses to toxins, but I have never heard of a disparity this great in a comparison between mammals.  So, I just don't buy it.  I'll bet it's off by a factor of one million.  (Milligrams, micrograms, grams, and kilograms--What difference does it make?)

Anyway, the whole thing is a mess.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 11:09:01 pm by the_doc »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2018, 10:51:12 pm »

Anyway, the whole thing is a mess.

Yeah, that's for sure.  It would not surprise me if the guesstimate is orders of magnitude off.  It's like these press accounts of "street value of $2.5 Gazillin."  I swear these guys just pull the numbers out of their asses.  We've seen more mathematical derivation on this thread than those folks who claim to be experts have done in a year.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2018, 02:12:51 am »
How can fentanyl remain legal when heroin is not?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2018, 02:14:42 am »
How can fentanyl remain legal when heroin is not?

Fentanyl still has legitimate use for pain relief.  But, the point is well taken.  It's why there is a war against all painkillers, and the people who need them.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2018, 02:20:26 am »
Fentanyl still has legitimate use for pain relief.

Even more for heroin.  My point being that heroin is 2½ times more powerful than the dilaudid threshold, and it is illegal.  So how did something as powerful as fentanyl ever garner FDA approval?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2018, 02:28:28 am »
Even more for heroin.  My point being that heroin is 2½ times more powerful than the dilaudid threshold, and it is illegal.  So how did something as powerful as fentanyl ever garner FDA approval?

It's been used for years, and with little or no addictions.  I think the problem is in making it into a readily available street drug.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2018, 02:30:39 am »
@Hoodat  @Cyber Liberty

There are stories of folks buying fentanyl on the "dark web" and from China....

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/10/business/dealbook/opioid-dark-web-drug-overdose.html

That's what this story says, there are other stories too on a websearch, sites I've never seen before and would not feel comfortable posting, so the NY Times often having a paywall after your free articles.

More: https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Heroin-Carfentanil-Fentanyl-Montgomery-County-China-Dark-Web-Drugs-Opioids-Elephants-Tranquilizer-478250623.html
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 02:31:29 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2018, 02:32:13 am »
Why are people buying it from China if it is legal? There are some sorts of problems or maybe that is because one must only be able to get it through prescription. One of those kinds of situations.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2018, 02:36:55 am »
Why are people buying it from China if it is legal? There are some sorts of problems or maybe that is because one must only be able to get it through prescription. One of those kinds of situations.

They're not buying it from China.  China produces it and smuggles it in, mostly through the southern border.  Sometimes people know what they are buying, sometimes they think they're buying heroin.  It's much stronger than heroin, so people miscalculate the amount they are taking and overdose.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2018, 02:38:04 am »

My first guess would be to obtain it without a prescription, because Doctors are becoming afraid to prescribe any Opioids.  Big Brother is cracking down on them.
I will NOT comply.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2018, 02:39:31 am »
They're not buying it from China.  China produces it and smuggles it in, mostly through the southern border.  Sometimes people know what they are buying, sometimes they think they're buying heroin.  It's much stronger than heroin, so people miscalculate the amount they are taking and overdose.

During the investigation, officials seized approximately 300 grams of fentanyl while an additional 400 to 500 grams of carfentanil were documented as having been ordered and shipped from China, according to the Montgomery County District Attorney’s Office.
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Heroin-Carfentanil-Fentanyl-Montgomery-County-China-Dark-Web-Drugs-Opioids-Elephants-Tranquilizer-478250623.html

Offline TomSea

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2018, 02:43:18 am »
It's a problem and this is not an important point really.

Truly terrifying’: Chinese suppliers flood US and Canada with deadly fentanyl
By David Armstrong
April 5, 2016   

he dozen packages were shipped from China to mail centers and residences in Southern California. One box was labeled as a “Hole Puncher.”

In fact, it was a quarter-ton pill press, which federal investigators allege was destined for a suburban Los Angeles drug lab. The other packages, shipped throughout January and February, contained materials for manufacturing fentanyl, an opioid so potent that in some forms it can be deadly if touched.

When it comes to the illegal sale of fentanyl, most of the attention has focused on Mexican cartels that are adding the drug to heroin smuggled into the United States. But Chinese suppliers are providing both raw fentanyl and the machinery necessary for the assembly-line production of the drug powering a terrifying and rapid rise of fatal overdoses across the United States and Canada, according to drug investigators and court documents.

Read more at: https://www.statnews.com/2016/04/05/fentanyl-traced-to-china/
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 02:43:59 am by TomSea »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2018, 02:49:44 am »
It's a problem and this is not an important point really.

So this is why they want to snatch the Percocets and Vicadins away from pain patients?
I will NOT comply.