Author Topic: Toxins in BBQ Fumes May Be Absorbed Through the Skin  (Read 1987 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Toxins in BBQ Fumes May Be Absorbed Through the Skin
« on: May 24, 2018, 11:57:40 am »
Health Day 5/23/2018

When you fire up the grill for your Memorial Day cookout, beware: Those tantalizing aromas hold an underestimated health risk.

Grilling meats at a high temperature can produce cancer-causing compounds called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). You can be exposed to significant PAH levels simply by breathing in the sweet scent of barbecue.

A new study from China suggests letting your skin come into contact with PAHs when you grill food is even more harmful than just savoring the aroma. And clothing won't fully protect you against them.

PAHs can cause lung disease and DNA mutations, the researchers said. Though eating barbecued meats is the most common source of exposure, just standing near a grill and breathing PAH-contaminated air can be risky, previous studies have shown.

For the latest study, published May 23 in Environmental Science & Technology, a team led by Eddy Y. Zeng at Jinan University closely examined skin exposure to PAHs from barbecue fumes and particles.

More: https://consumer.healthday.com/environmental-health-information-12/chemical-health-news-730/toxins-in-bbq-fumes-may-be-absorbed-through-the-skin-734081.html

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Toxins in BBQ Fumes May Be Absorbed Through the Skin
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 11:59:43 am »
What will these Do Gooders think up next?

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 12:09:52 pm »
$5 says

Consumer Health Day =  Left Wing Vegans pushing their agenda.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 12:12:56 pm »
You had me till "A new study from China suggests"

:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 12:19:01 pm »
You had me till "A new study from China suggests"

:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

As far as I am concerned any SOB who messes with my BBQ has gotta be a left-winger.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 12:40:27 pm »
I was mildly interested until the part about "clothing won't protect you." That's just silly. But yes, this will be used by some wacko Left groups to try to outlaw cooking barbeque in public. It's a second hand smoke risk now, doncha know.

It won't stop me. My friends say I am a studly barbequeer. And when they want it, when they get the urge, I like them too much to say no.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 12:46:14 pm »
Didn't Cali outlaw Charcoal BBQ's?   

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 12:49:40 pm »
BREAKING NEWS: Scientists Discover Yet Another Thing To Worry About.  ***hair on fire

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 12:55:02 pm »
BREAKING NEWS: Scientists Discover Yet Another Thing To Worry About.  ***hair on fire

Doesn't worry me in the least. Just wait a year. BBQ will be the new Vitamin C.

Coffee will kill you! Coffee is very good for your liver.
Bacon will kill you! Bacon has some beneficial effects.
Fat is deadly! Consumption of fat is necessary for a health body.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 01:03:44 pm »
I was mildly interested until the part about "clothing won't protect you." That's just silly. But yes, this will be used by some wacko Left groups to try to outlaw cooking barbeque in public. It's a second hand smoke risk now, doncha know.

It won't stop me. My friends say I am a studly barbequeer. And when they want it, when they get the urge, I like them too much to say no.

@240B
If clothing won't protect you then perhaps they advocate BBQing in the nude.   Just dont stand too close.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 01:08:00 pm »
@240B
If clothing won't protect you then perhaps they advocate BBQing in the nude.   Just dont stand too close.

Apron Chaps would be a nice touch.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 01:12:36 pm »
@240B

Wait...what? Are there people who BBQ wearing clothes? Sounds like a good way to ruin a perfectly good shirt. That BBQ smell takes a while to go away. No man. The only way to BBQ is nude with an apron. At least, that's the only way I have ever done it. This is a pic of my favorite apron.
Tirain Sexy Apron Novelty Muscle Man Kitchen Cooking Grilling Apron Funny Creative Thanksgiving Christmas Gift for Men Boyfriend (Man Body Pattern)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 01:13:51 pm by 240B »

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 01:26:30 pm »
Wait...what? Are there people who BBQ wearing clothes? Sounds like a good way to ruin a perfectly good shirt. That BBQ smell takes a while to go away. No man. The only way to BBQ is nude with an apron. At least, that's the only way I have ever done it. This is a pic of my favorite apron.
Tirain Sexy Apron Novelty Muscle Man Kitchen Cooking Grilling Apron Funny Creative Thanksgiving Christmas Gift for Men Boyfriend (Man Body Pattern)

heck I won't even bbq barefoot anymore.   I used to walk out onto my patio barefoot to tend my Big Green Egg TM  but stepping on a hot coal that fell out put a sudden stop to that practice.

Note: hot coals tend to stick to your foot once you step on them.  So its not just a simple matter of lifting your foot, or even brushing the coal off.   No you have to dig the burning ember out of your foot while screaming bloody murder.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 01:33:08 pm »

I wear that same apron.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 01:34:32 pm »
I wear that same apron.

@RoosGirl
I think you were telling us about those yesterday.

But its a good look on ya

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 01:37:44 pm »
I wear that same apron.

It was bought for me by a friend. It's not my first choice, but the guys I hang with seem to like it. So, they are my friends, so I give them whatever they want.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 01:45:26 pm »
@RoosGirl
I think you were telling us about those yesterday.

But its a good look on ya

Theae are my masturbatory thoughts of watering my bbq grill, or something like that.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 03:12:26 pm »
There was an article a while back showing that humans have developed an adaptation that means the "carcinogens" produced while grilling don't affect us. 

And, when a study "suggests", there is no story there. 

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 03:17:37 pm »
There was an article a while back showing that humans have developed an adaptation that means the "carcinogens" produced while grilling don't affect us. 

And, when a study "suggests", there is no story there.

So when all our ancestors were sitting around the fire 50.000 years ago eating mammoth steaks, strange they all didn't die of cancer from PAH poisoning.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 03:19:35 pm »
So when all our ancestors were sitting around the fire 50.000 years ago eating mammoth steaks, strange they all didn't die of cancer from PAH poisoning.

They wouldn't have lived long enough to do so.   *****rollingeyes*****

Here's that study.  And, it was breathing, not eating.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/modern-humans-beat-neanderthals-because-we-can-happily-breathe-in-toxic-smoke-from-cooking-meat-a7169531.html
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 03:24:13 pm by Sanguine »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 03:21:07 pm »
a team led by Eddy Y. Zeng at Jinan University

What they don't tell you is that this Chinaman was cooking over old tires and batteries for this study.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 03:25:07 pm »

What they don't tell you is that this Chinaman was cooking over old tires and batteries for this study.

Battery fires give a nice piquant flavor to the meat.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 03:27:31 pm »
Battery fires give a nice piquant flavor to the meat.

I guess if your meat of choice is rat or Labrador Retriever you need that flavor profile. 

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2018, 03:29:13 pm »

They also don't mention 'what' he was barbequing. Cats? Feral dogs? Monkey brains? Llama eyeballs? Human meat? Cockroaches? It would seem that in any real scientific study, a mention of what he was cooking would be standard relevant information.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2018, 03:38:05 pm »
I wear that same apron.

I figured you for at least a C cup.   :pondering: