Author Topic: Senate sends major VA reform bill to Trump's desk  (Read 245 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senate sends major VA reform bill to Trump's desk
« on: May 23, 2018, 08:28:14 pm »
Senate sends major VA reform bill to Trump's desk
By Jordain Carney - 05/23/18 04:21 PM EDT

The Senate easily cleared legislation on Wednesday overhauling medical care options for veterans, sending the bill to President Trump's desk.

Senators voted 92-5 on the proposal, termed the VA Mission Act, with only a simple majority needed to pass the bill. Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii), Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.), Mike Rounds (R-S.D.) and Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) voted against the legislation.

With its passage, the bill will meet Trump's public deadline and arrive on his desk before Congress departs for a week-long Memorial Day recess. The bill passed the House last week in a 347-70 vote.

The sweeping, $52 billion reform bill would overhaul medical care options for veterans, including giving them more access to private doctors and hospitals.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/389072-senate-sends-major-va-reform-bill-to-trumps-desk
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Senate sends major VA reform bill to Trump's desk
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 08:39:33 pm »
Sanders, announcing his decision to oppose the bill, said he was concerned it would continue a "slow, steady privitization of the VA" and "will open the door to the draining, year after year, of much needed resources from the VA."

"I acknowledge the work done by some of my colleagues to improve this bill, but I believe it moves us too far in the direction of privatization. That is why I will vote against it," he said.

As someone who has done work in many VA hospitals on their equipment for 20 years, I can tell you much of their tech is dated and a lot of facilities are lacking.  They have two choices:

1)  Massive increases in budget to upgrade an entity the government has already shown it cannot properly manage.

2)  Opening access to closer, more modern facilities, improving care and lowering cost.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 08:40:15 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.