Author Topic: "I Want You Out": Judge Orders Man, 30, To Move Out Of Parents' Home  (Read 5996 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: "I Want You Out": Judge Orders Man, 30, To Move Out Of Parents' Home
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2018, 07:57:50 pm »
I have pointed out to my kids they have it easy.  Just a reasonable amount of effort and carrying and you are in the leadership in this age.  It is easy today to get ahead of others that don't put forth any effort at all.

They don't really have it that easy. Harder in some ways, easier in others.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2018, 08:01:22 pm »
OK, smartass, the point I was making is, if you raised them, you have some responsibility in how they turned out.    22222frying pan

So if a Millennial is a screw up, it's the parents fault. Passing the buck........just what a Millennial would say.

Offline thackney

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2018, 08:03:20 pm »
Good point.

Now change "carrying" for the "caring" I meant to write.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2018, 08:04:39 pm »
Now change "carrying" for the "caring" I meant to write.

LOL, that's how I read it.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2018, 08:04:50 pm »

Harder? They just have to talk at their smart phones and it calls or text people. Not only did I have to remember 7 digit numbers, I had to spend a half hour dialing them.....

....and if I missed a number, I had to start the whole dam process all over again!

Offline thackney

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2018, 08:05:51 pm »

I didn't write it meaning in all things.  But as my first two have found out, it doesn't take much to reach positions of leadership in many of their organizations.  Just give a darn, have some manners and a reasonable effort.  If they do half of what I demand at home, they will succeed in life in general.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2018, 08:05:55 pm »
Harder? They just have to talk at their smart phones and it calls or text people. Not only did I have to remember 7 digit numbers, I had to spend a half hour dialing them.....

....and if I missed a number, I had to start the whole dam process all over again!

And, busy signals.  Remember them?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2018, 08:08:05 pm »
And, busy signals.  Remember them?

And don't get me started with getting stuck on the line with a gabby person. You were tethered to the wall by a cord and if you had to go to the bathroom, grab a cigarette or a beer you were screwed.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2018, 08:08:46 pm »

"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline thackney

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2018, 08:10:53 pm »

We kept a rotary phone inside an gutted wooden phone box.

Visitors would be surprised when it rang and we walked to it answer.  Front door was hinged, flipped it open and picked up the plastic phone and they went "Ohhh, I thought it was real."

Offline thackney

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2018, 08:11:56 pm »
And don't get me started with getting stuck on the line with a gabby person. You were tethered to the wall by a cord and if you had to go to the bathroom, grab a cigarette or a beer you were screwed.

But going to Grandma's and listening in to her neighbor's on the party line was pretty cool, up until Grandma caught you and busted another wooden spoon on your hide.

• Technical
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2018, 08:14:26 pm »

Technologically things are certainly easier... but then again, that just means more competition for things like jobs and such.

Offline thackney

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2018, 08:24:53 pm »
Technologically things are certainly easier... but then again, that just means more competition for things like jobs and such.

I don't see greater available technology to the general population makes it harder to compete for jobs.

Same topic, a little bit of effort can make you stand out above the crowd.

• Technical
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2018, 08:26:55 pm »
I don't see greater available technology to the general population makes it harder to compete for jobs.

Same topic, a little bit of effort can make you stand out above the crowd.

Ease of technology = more people applying for the same jobs.

Many employers want a resume and maybe a cover letter... how do you make those stand out when it's all done entirely online?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 08:27:49 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline thackney

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2018, 08:51:11 pm »
Ease of technology = more people applying for the same jobs.

Many employers want a resume and maybe a cover letter... how do you make those stand out when it's all done entirely online?

My daughter just graduated college last weekend.  Nearly every job application is online.  There are plenty of places to show you have done more than just the basic requirements.  In her case, graduating Summa Cum Laude, volunteer work, honor society participation.  She always attaches a couple written letters of recommendations.  There are lots of ways to demonstrate a willingness to put forth effort without a lot of details.

• Technical
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2018, 08:55:44 pm »
My daughter just graduated college last weekend.  Nearly every job application is online.  There are plenty of places to show you have done more than just the basic requirements.  In her case, graduating Summa Cum Laude, volunteer work, honor society participation.  She always attaches a couple written letters of recommendations.  There are lots of ways to demonstrate a willingness to put forth effort without a lot of details.

By it's very nature, a job that is on the internet is going to have a lot more people applying for it then a job listed in the back of a newspaper.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2018, 08:58:02 pm »

Hey we had an extra long cord so we could do all those things while on the phone..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline thackney

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2018, 09:06:25 pm »
By it's very nature, a job that is on the internet is going to have a lot more people applying for it then a job listed in the back of a newspaper.

I understand.

how do you make those stand out when it's all done entirely online?

I thought I answered that the first time.  It is not that hard to be above average in the millennial word trying to get a real job.  More total people but far less people really trying.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2018, 09:33:06 pm »
My parents told me when I graduated from college I had til Labor Day to goof off and find a job. I had to be out by the end of September.- October 1. They would give me the security deposit, first months rent, and mom would give me a few pieces of her old furniture (old couch for example) and bought a bed and night table, so she could buy a new couch.

Then I was on my own. Mom gave me old dishes and silverware too, bought me a pot and pan, and a cookbook. I also got my grandma's old beat up black and white tv with rabbit ears from the attic.

I thought it was lovely. One aunt gave me a housewarming gift of towels, the other sheets, and a toaster.

I got a cat, my first, and it became a home. I struggled. I had to work a job and a half. Part time at a bookstore as well as full time to pay for the apartment, and kitty, car, etc. It was worth it.

Of course, every Sunday I'd go to mom's for dinner, and she'd always send me home with lots of leftovers.!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 09:34:09 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2018, 01:20:32 am »
My millennials are fine. They're not perfect people, just like none of the rest of us are, but they hold jobs, are married, have kids and are generally good people.  I knew the education system was lacking when they were growing up and made sure they got what they needed.

I have two millennial nephews and two millennial nieces.  Two girls have the same mom and dad; one nephew has the same mom and dad and five older brothers and sisters; my last nephew, the youngest of all, still has both parents together, married and, I believe quite happy.

Three of the four have completed colleges or universities.  Three of them work.  The youngest worked for a year, but had to quit to get his CPA because he could not get time off to study.  He gave two weeks' notice even though I thought he should just quit.  He had asked for time off to study for quite a long time.  He did not get it.

He now has passed three of four tests to get his CPA.

The other nephew who did not finish college was a crazy computer game player.  So he now develops computer games.  Making great money and loving his job/career.

So you can all say what you want about millennials, but firsthand I have four who work very hard. 

You can ask @Cyber Liberty  about my nieces.  They adore their uncle.  He communicates with them more than I do!

Does anyone want a cigarette pack full of cat fur?  I just brushed three of those fur balls.  There is enough for a small sweater!

:silly:
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline raml

« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2018, 04:47:40 am »
I know millennials that have a work ethnic and were raised by hard working people. My one granddaughter and her husband work hard right now he is working 7 days a week at general mills. He has a good job and does great taking care of his three children. My granddaughter who just graduated from high school has held a job for 2 years and now is in her own place doesn't want to start college till next year wanted a year off first. Her grandfather has promised to pay for her college when she goes. My son raised hard working kids who take care of them selves very well. My other son has a son who is a civil engineer and does very well he is still single but has his own home and loves traveling saves and every year takes a trip to another country. I have three grandsons in Michigan who all hold jobs and they don't live off their parents. There are many wonderful millennials I see them everyday they are friends of my grandchildren. I am 73 not a millennial so don't accuse me of being one.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2018, 05:03:01 am »

What is that?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2018, 05:07:39 am »
What is that?

Something about 10 generations before the flip phone. Do you know what a flip phone is?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2018, 05:11:59 am »
Something about 10 generations before the flip phone. Do you know what a flip phone is?

Oh yeah, my grandpa uses one.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2018, 05:15:44 am »
Oh yeah, my grandpa uses one.

I was going to appologize for bashing Millennials here on the thread thinking I may have offended you, but then I realized you aren't one. You are the generation AFTER the Millennial.......the Brain Dead Idiot.