Author Topic: Family that took in Parkland shooter being sued  (Read 3433 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Family that took in Parkland shooter being sued
« on: May 23, 2018, 12:05:57 am »
Family that took in Parkland shooter being sued

Jazz ShawPosted at 6:41 pm on May 22, 2018

I found this story particularly disturbing for some reason. James and Kimberly Snead are the couple who allowed the killer in the Parkland school shooting to move into their home after his mother passed away, roughly ten weeks before the attack. Now, after most of the stories from that tragedy have been told and their world was turned upside down, two families of victims of the shooting are suing the Sneads. (LA Times)

The Sneads, who say they felt sorry for their son’s 19-year-old friend after he was left orphaned, have already been named as defendants in two civil lawsuits connected to the Feb. 14 attack at the Parkland school.

One is a wrongful death claim filed by the estate of 18-year-old Meadow Pollack. The other is a negligence complaint filed by the parents of Anthony Borges, the 15-year-old who survived five bullet wounds.

The Sneads anticipate they will be named in more lawsuits in the coming weeks and months. They say they fear the litigation will rapidly drive them into bankruptcy and they don’t have the money to even hire an attorney to defend them.

“We’re like many other families in America today. We live paycheck to paycheck,” James Snead said in an interview Thursday.

more
https://hotair.com/archives/2018/05/22/family-took-parkland-shooter-sued/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Family that took in Parkland shooter being sued
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 12:09:04 am »
I feel for these folks.  But why even sue them they dont have any money
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 12:14:28 am »

Why sue them even if they did?  I can't see that they did anything wrong.  They were being compassionate and now will have to pay for that.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 12:15:12 am »

Because people are shitbags and greedy filth. This thing stinks so bad a judge should throw it out of court....but they won't.

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 12:16:40 am »

They have a house, with some equity no doubt, and they have incomes.  Unless they qualify for a chapter 7, that income will remain potentially available even if they file bankruptcy. 

The worst part is, they should win (IMHO), but doing so is going to cost them so much that they’ll probably have to file anyways. 

Hopefully, they can set up a crowdfunding plan that will collect money they can use for some of those fees. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 12:36:06 am »
This story is why most non-lawyers have a really poor opinion of lawyers.  Even if these people win their cases, they still lose because the process is the punishment.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 12:41:28 am »
This story is why most non-lawyers have a really poor opinion of lawyers.  Even if these people win their cases, they still lose because the process is the punishment.

Then their opinion is misplaced and misguided. The problem is the system.  Or should lawyers - unlike you - be forced to work for free?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 12:54:43 am »
Then their opinion is misplaced and misguided. The problem is the system.  Or should lawyers - unlike you - be forced to work for free?
<sigh>

The "system" is populated with lawyers.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 12:55:27 am by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 01:00:52 am »

@Oceander

Were lawyers forced to take the case?  Were they forced to sue these people?

Seems they  had a choice and chose the low road.

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 01:02:15 am »
<sigh>

The "system" is populated with lawyers.

/snicker

Just because a lot of people hold a stupid idea doesn’t make it true. 

The problem is not lawyers.  The problem is people. 

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 01:07:34 am »
@Oceander

Were lawyers forced to take the case?  Were they forced to sue these people?

Seems they  had a choice and chose the low road.

:bigsilly:

How pathetic. So it had nothing to do with the people who actually sued, nor the laws that may give them a cause of action, nor the juries that routinely make grotesque awards in cases like this.  No. It’s all the lawyers’ fault. 

What a pathetic response, and abdication of actual responsibility for the society you live in and helped create. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 01:13:27 am »
/snicker

I'm not going to argue with you.  Believe me or don't.  I don't care.
I will NOT comply.

Oceander

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 01:19:36 am »
I'm not going to argue with you.  Believe me or don't.  I don't care.

I believe you, if for no other reason than that I know people are generally pretty damned stupid.  The people nominated Donald Trump; that’s pretty good evidence of national stupidity. 

Of course, if you like the Constitution, and the rights you enjoy under it, then you owe that to lawyers - more than half of the Founders were lawyers.  By your argument, you owe all of your freedoms to lawyers, and should be accordingly deferential. 

So either STFU or start thinking logically and rationally.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 01:22:03 am »
Don't turn this thread into a fight...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 01:23:44 am »
:bigsilly:

How pathetic. So it had nothing to do with the people who actually sued, nor the laws that may give them a cause of action, nor the juries that routinely make grotesque awards in cases like this.  No. It’s all the lawyers’ fault. 

What a pathetic response, and abdication of actual responsibility for the society you live in and helped create.

@Oceander

Hogwash

It's the lawyers job to determine whether to file.  Its literally their job to evaluate the claims and determine whether to file.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 01:24:36 am by driftdiver »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 01:30:18 am »
/snicker

Are you saying lawyers aren't people?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 01:30:53 am by Sanguine »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 01:37:00 am »
The Sneads, who say they felt sorry for their son’s 19-year-old friend after he was left orphaned, have already been named as defendants in two civil lawsuits connected to the Feb. 14 attack at the Parkland school.

No good deed shall go unpunished.

Offline DB

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 01:51:17 am »
No good deed goes unpunished.

Someone besides the perpetrator has to pay...

No matter what the outcome, someone's lawyer will make money...

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2018, 02:03:49 am »
@Oceander

....... It's the lawyers job to determine whether to file.  Its literally their job to evaluate the claims and determine whether to file.

It's the lawyers job to represent a person who wishes to file, it is not his/her job to act as an gatekeeper in determining whether to file.

Some States have enacted legislation that provides that if a plaintiff brings a action such as this and loses then they are obligated to pay the defendants costs and attorneys fees, which seems to me the more rational way of addressing the problem rather than expecting lawyers to determine whether to file...

That said most competent  lawyers would want a substantial  fee up front before taking a case such as this..... :shrug:

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2018, 02:28:42 am »
It's the lawyers job to represent a person who wishes to file, it is not his/her job to act as an gatekeeper in determining whether to file.

Some States have enacted legislation that provides that if a plaintiff brings a action such as this and loses then they are obligated to pay the defendants costs and attorneys fees, which seems to me the more rational way of addressing the problem rather than expecting lawyers to determine whether to file...

That said most competent  lawyers would want a substantial  fee up front before taking a case such as this..... :shrug:

@montanajoe

Nobody forces them to take a case.  Try calling lawyers and tell them you have a homeowner's association problem to test it out.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2018, 02:50:14 am »

YEP, other than the losing lawyer would have to be obligated to pay too, bigtime... Then they actually have skin in the game.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2018, 03:06:42 am »
Hey, just to lighten the mood here a little I'm going to tell a joke.  Speaking of which, I ran across an interesting statistic the other day.  Anyone know how many lawyer jokes there are?  Apparently there are three, the rest are true stories.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2018, 03:20:38 am »
YEP, other than the losing lawyer would have to be obligated to pay too, bigtime... Then they actually have skin in the game.

Well it's popular in today's America to blame the lawyer but the basic fact is that it's the people bringing the lawsuits that are to blame.... not the lawyers.

Having a lawyer with "skin in the game" is a two edged sword, in my experience there are just as many folks on the right as there are on the left who bring questionable claims. It kinda reminds me of people blaming the fire arm for mass shootings, rather than the individual pulling the trigger..... :shrug:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2018, 03:28:29 am »

Well then the problem is Lawyers because Lawyers are people. Kinda shot your argument in the ass. Glad I don't have you on retainer. I'd be doing a double nickle right now for some past malfeasance I can't go into.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2018, 03:37:21 am »
Hey, just to lighten the mood here a little I'm going to tell a joke.  Speaking of which, I ran across an interesting statistic the other day.  Anyone know how many lawyer jokes there are?  Apparently there are three, the rest are true stories.

What's the definition of "funny?"  A busload of lawyers driving over a cliff.

What's the definition of "a shame?"  Same bus, with two empty seats.
I will NOT comply.