Author Topic: Whites have fled the Democratic Party. Why?  (Read 556 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Whites have fled the Democratic Party. Why?
« on: May 22, 2018, 10:12:55 pm »
 by Joshua N. Zingher May 22 at 7:00 AM

With the 2018 midterms months away and the 2020 presidential election cycle approaching rapidly, Democrats are considering how to improve their poor showings in 2014 and 2016. The party has been debating — sometimes heatedly — how to do this. Which voters should they target? How should Democrats target them?

But here’s what’s clear: White voters have been fleeing the Democratic Party, and that’s a big reason Democrats are looking to rebound from back-to-back losses.
Over decades, whites have steadily abandoned the Democratic Party

Whites have slowly but consistently moved away from the Democratic Party. These recent losses are on top of Democrats’ losses among Southern whites during the 1960s and 1970s after Democrats’ support of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

Bill Clinton won 49 percent of the white two-party vote in 1996. Al Gore won 43 percent in 2000. John F. Kerry won 41 percent in 2004. Barack Obama won a slightly larger share in 2008, but then dropped to only 39 percent in his 2012 reelection bid. Hillary Clinton got the same percentage as Obama.

Obama was able to mask the Democratic Party’s weakness among whites by prompting record-high turnout among African Americans, as well as strong turnout from other Democratic-leaning minority groups. Hillary Clinton was unable to generate the same level of enthusiasm from racial and ethnic minorities.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2018/05/22/whites-have-fled-the-democratic-party-heres-how-the-nation-got-there/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.856480e76209
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline musiclady

Re: Whites have fled the Democratic Party. Why?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 10:16:43 pm »
Ummmmmmm.............. because for eight years the Democrat party said it hated white people.   :shrug:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 01:53:36 am »
"because for eight years the Democrat party said it hated white people."

It's been going on for a lot more than just eight years.

More like... since the 1970's.

The Washington Post is only discovering this now?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 02:39:38 am »
"because for eight years the Democrat party said it hated white people."

It's been going on for a lot more than just eight years.

More like... since the 1970's.

The Washington Post is only discovering this now?

They just never said it out loud and daily until Obama was elected.....
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.