Author Topic: Pedestrian Deaths Rise Dramatically; Up 46 Percent  (Read 394 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Pedestrian Deaths Rise Dramatically; Up 46 Percent
« on: May 22, 2018, 04:34:56 pm »
Inattentive walking no doubt as people have their mugs planted in their mobil devices.  But then...bieng stupid will get you killed!

I live in an area that has a lot of pedestrians and automobile traffic. And it never ceases to amaze me the number of pedestrians who step out into the crosswalk without checking to see if the vehicles are, indeed, stopping. As I tell my children, just 'cause you have the right of way doesn't mean that you're going to be any less dead after the car hits you. A new study highlights the problem as it reveals that pedestrian deaths have risen dramatically over the last few years.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety writes,

Pedestrian deaths have jumped 46 percent since reaching their lowest point in 2009, as pedestrian crashes have become both deadlier and more frequent. The increase has been mostly in urban or suburban areas, at nonintersections, on arterials — busy roads designed mainly to funnel vehicle traffic toward freeways — and in the dark, a new IIHS study shows. Crashes were increasingly likely to involve SUVs and high-horsepower vehicles.
[...]

The researchers found that not only did pedestrian crashes increase, they also became deadlier. Deaths per 100 crash involvements increased 29 percent from 2010, when they reached their lowest point, to 2015, the most recent year that data on all crashes, including nonfatal ones, were available.

https://pjmedia.com/trending/pedestrian-deaths-rise-dramatically-up-46-percent/
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Pedestrian Deaths Rise Dramatically; Up 46 Percent
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 04:45:08 pm »
Nobody walks in LA.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 04:47:48 pm »
A huge part of this problem is that for the last 10 years my state has put up these pedestrian right of way crosswalks on roads. It has given morons the thought that they can just stroll out in front of a 5000 car doing 40 mph and be safe without looking or even being aware about danger. Hell, I keep my eye on passing cars when I am on the sidewalk just in case some jackass is texting. Training people to not pay attention in the middle of the street is criminal.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 04:53:52 pm »
Nobody walks in LA.

The Missing Persons did.

"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 05:36:58 pm »
The Missing Persons did.

Perhaps that’s why they’re missing.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 05:39:04 pm »

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 05:41:54 pm »
Between a lack of situational awareness on the part of the pedestrian (phone lock), hybrid cars which go 'whoosh' instead of Vroom! (Loud pipes save lives!), and drivers piddling with all the crap inside the car (including phones), crossing the street isn't safe unless you are really paying attention..

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis