Author Topic: Blankenship to run third-party Senate campaign after losing GOP primary  (Read 1770 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Blankenship to run third-party Senate campaign after losing GOP primary
The Hill, May 21, 2018, Ben Kamisar

Former coal executive and ex-convict Don Blankenship on Monday announced plans to launch a third-party bid for a West Virginia Senate seat after losing the GOP primary to state Attorney General Patrick Morrisey.

It's unclear whether Blankenship will actually be allowed onto the ballot since state law bans candidates who lose a major-party primary from running as a third-party candidate in a general election, a rule often referred to as the "sore loser law."

But, if he is successful, he could deal a serious blow to Morrisey's attempt to coalesce Republicans around his bid to defeat Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin.

“The political establishment is determined to keep me — the most anti-establishment candidate in the nation — out of the United States Senate," he said.

"The press and the establishment have colluded and lied to convince the public that I am a moron, a bigot, and a felon. They even went so far as to lie about my chances against Senator Joe Manchin in the general election.”

More:  http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/388581-blankenship-to-run-third-party-senate-campaign-after-losing-gop-primary

Online Right_in_Virginia

Let's hope the "Sore Loser Rule" holds up.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
"The press and the establishment have colluded and lied to convince the public that I am a moron, a bigot, and a felon. They even went so far as to lie about my chances against Senator Joe Manchin in the general election.”

I know next to nothing about this guy, but...isn't he actually a felon?

Online Right_in_Virginia

I know next to nothing about this guy, but...isn't he actually a felon?

I am not defending this guy @Maj. Bill Martin ... technically he was acquitted of three felony charges.  He went to prison for a year after being found guilty on one misdemeanor charge of conspiring to willfully violate mine safety and health standards (where 29 miners died).  So, technically I guess he's just an ex-con.   ^-^

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
This idiot is going to split the vote and give this victory to Manchin.  ****slapping
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I am not defending this guy @Maj. Bill Martin ... technically he was acquitted of three felony charges.  He went to prison for a year after being found guilty on one misdemeanor charge of conspiring to willfully violate mine safety and health standards (where 29 miners died).  So, technically I guess he's just an ex-con.   ^-^

Heh -- thanks.  I guess he's right -- he's not a felon, and that actually is a fairly important distinction.

Offline Just_Victor

This idiot is going to split the vote and give this victory to Manchin.  ****slapping

Given his terrible showing in the primary, I'm not convinced he would have any effect at all.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
This is the guy "Sore Loser" laws were written for.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
This is the guy "Sore Loser" laws were written for.

Thank God for algore.  Without him this would not be possible!
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Frank Cannon

Given his terrible showing in the primary, I'm not convinced he would have any effect at all.

Exactly. He is not going to be a factor in this race.

Offline Slide Rule

This is precisely one of the reasons duels were so helpful.

Thins out the weeds.

:)
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Right in Virginia comments:
"Let's hope the "Sore Loser Rule" holds up."

I kinda would prefer that it would, but...

I'm thinking that -- unless this has been tested before the U.S. Supreme Court already (I don't know whether it has or not) -- if this guy Blankenship tries to push this to the Court as being unconstitutional, he'll win.

And in the process, the Supreme Court will strike down ALL "sore loser" laws wherever they're in force...

Offline Just_Victor

Right in Virginia comments:
"Let's hope the "Sore Loser Rule" holds up."

I kinda would prefer that it would, but...

I'm thinking that -- unless this has been tested before the U.S. Supreme Court already (I don't know whether it has or not) -- if this guy Blankenship tries to push this to the Court as being unconstitutional, he'll win.

And in the process, the Supreme Court will strike down ALL "sore loser" laws wherever they're in force...

@Fishrrman

Sincere question:  What do you think the grounds against sore loser laws Constitutionality would be?

Election law has typically been left to the states, and the Constitution says very little about election process.  I'm not sure the SCOTUS would take the case.  But I'm just an engineer, legal stuff baffles me.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Victor asked:
"Sincere question:  What do you think the grounds against sore loser laws Constitutionality would be?"

Quite simply:
Violation of the First Amendment's guarantee to exercise one's right of free speech.

Look back to only a few years ago, to the "Citizen's United" case that overturned laws against limits on campaign spending by political organizations -- again on the grounds that to place arbitrary limits on such spending restrained the right of such organizations to express themselves politically as guaranteed by the Constitution.

Then consider this:
What greater "right" to free speech and political expression can there be, than to run for public office based on one's beliefs?

I predict the foundation of Blankenship's case against the state "sore loser" law is that it prohibits a citizen's right to political expression by denying them the opportunity to exercise it by running for office -- regardless of any "prior runs" as the candidate for the nomination of one party or another.

And... that any attempt to limit such right by putting into place a barrier (the "sore loser law") is an arbitrary and unreasonable Constitutional violation of such "expression".

This might even be found to violate the 14th Amendement's guarantee of "equal protection under the law", in that Blankenship was denied the opportunity to run whereas someone who had not previously run (in any party's primary) would NOT be so denied.

And in finding so, the Supreme Court will declare West Virginia's sore loser law unconstitutional, and in so doing, so will all other similar laws at all levels of government be declared same.

That's how I see it.
I could be wrong.

But if Blankenship promulgates this complaint, that's how I expect things to go.

Offline Frank Cannon

@Fishrrman

Sincere question:  What do you think the grounds against sore loser laws Constitutionality would be?

Election law has typically been left to the states, and the Constitution says very little about election process.  I'm not sure the SCOTUS would take the case.  But I'm just an engineer, legal stuff baffles me.

The Felons argument is that the law is poorly written and is invalid. Whether he is right about that is dubious.

Offline mountaineer

In response to a Facebook posting about Blankenship's plan to run third-party, W.Va. Attorney General and Republican candidate Patrick Morrisey commented, "Blankenship will very likely not be on the ballot due to the sore loser law. Let’s focus on Joe."
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
In response to a Facebook posting about Blankenship's plan to run third-party, W.Va. Attorney General and Republican candidate Patrick Morrisey commented, "Blankenship will very likely not be on the ballot due to the sore loser law. Let’s focus on Joe."

West "by God" Virginia better straighten that boy out.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

I heard Blankenship on Cavuto the other night.  The GOP dodged a bullet by not nominating this guy.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline mountaineer

The primary, between Blankenship, Morrisey and Rep. Evan Jenkins, pretty much consisted of all of them claiming to be President Trump's best pal, and lies being told by the other two about Morrisey's relationship with drug manufacturers. I'm glad it's over. As we know Patrick personally and believe he is the conservative he says he is, he has our support.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jpsb

:thumbsup:

Online kevindavis007

I heard Blankenship on Cavuto the other night.  The GOP dodged a bullet by not nominating this guy.

At least they showed more common sense than the Alabama GOP.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline the_doc

Blankenship's decision actually vindicates those who voted for the other guy.  (Ah, but what about Russian collusion in his race?)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:37:30 pm by the_doc »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Of course he is running.  You cannot expect someone with so much fire, energy, and enthusiasm to remain sidelined.  Besides, who else is going to protect us from China people and Cocaine Mitch?

! No longer available
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I mean, who wouldn't want to vote for a guy who killed over two dozen people with his negligence, and only served a year of jail time? He's a man of the people. /sarc  *****rollingeyes*****
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Of course he is running.  You cannot expect someone with so much fire, energy, and enthusiasm to remain sidelined.  Besides, who else is going to protect us from China people and Cocaine Mitch
lol