Author Topic: Hawaii volcano poses a new threat: Acid from Kilauea's lava, called 'laze,' pouring into the ocean  (Read 349 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Hawaii volcano poses a new threat: Acid from Kilauea's lava, called 'laze,' pouring into the ocean
MSN News, May 20, 2018, USA Today

After destroying dozens of houses, lava from the Kilauea volcano has now reached the ocean, presenting a new health threat to Hawaiians.

Civil defense authorities on Hawaii posted a warning to stay clear of any lava stream that is flowing into the ocean. When the super hot lava hits the cooler sea water, it produces what is called "laze," hydrochloric acid steam that pours into the air along with fine particles of glass.

"Health hazards of laze include lung, eye and skin irritation," the agency said in a message to residents. "Be aware that the laze plume travels with the wind and can change direction without warning."

More than 20 fissures have opened since the volcano's latest activity began May 3 and are being tracked.

Yet, with more than 2,000 residents under evacuation, life largely goes on as normal on much of the Big Island. The tourism industry is still in full swing and the island's airports remain open.

Clouds glow above a lava flow on the outskirts of Pahoa during ongoing eruptions of the Kilauea Volcano.

More:  http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hawaii-volcano-poses-a-new-threat-acid-from-kilaueas-lava-called-laze-pouring-into-the-ocean/ar-AAxyKFe?ocid=ientp#image=AAxyKFe_1|2

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
I found a link to charities working to provide temporary housing and aid to everyone affected:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/38119223/heres-how-you-can-donate-to-those-impacted-by-the-kilauea-eruption
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.