Author Topic: Trump Proposes Cutting Planned Parenthood Funds. What Does That Mean?  (Read 876 times)

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
kaiser health news
Julie Rovner   
May 18, 2018

[excerpt]

https://khn.org/news/trump-proposes-cutting-planned-parenthood-funds-what-does-that-mean/

The planned revival of a policy dating to Ronald Reagan’s presidency may finally present a way for President Donald Trump to fulfill his campaign promise to “defund” Planned Parenthood. Or at least to evict it from the federal family planning program, where it provides care to more than 40 percent of that program’s 4 million patients.

Congress last year failed to wipe out funding for Planned Parenthood, because the bill faced overwhelming Democratic objections and would not have received the 60 votes needed to pass in the Senate.

But the imposition of a slightly retooled version of a regulation, which was upheld by the Supreme Court in 1991 after a five-year fight, could potentially accomplish what Congress could not.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Suppressed

Eventually the rule was in effect for only about a month before it was again blocked by a U.S. appeals court. President Bill Clinton canceled the rules by executive order on his second day in office, and no other president tried to revive them until now.

Finally an explanation of why Trump didn't include this restriction.  Thank you, @To-Whose-Benefit?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

We all know what a Trump promise means.  Nothing.

Offline Fantom

Heh, a little too early to be soused 'Eh? So you must be trolling.

To which, the most simple of replies destroys.... Maybe you should ask the Israelis ..... what a Trump promise means. There are of course , plenty of others... but this is most Poignant. I should think.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Suppressed

The proposal was evidently sent to OMB, but you're right...the Trump Administration has done a lot of "studying" things without then following through on them.  We'll see.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Heh, a little too early to be soused 'Eh? So you must be trolling.

To which, the most simple of replies destroys.... Maybe you should ask the Israelis ..... what a Trump promise means. There are of course , plenty of others... but this is most Poignant. I should think.

:dynamite:

:laugh:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 01:06:45 am by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
So this was upheld by SCOTUS in 1991?  It will be interesting to see how the Hawaiian Judge twists the language to justify blocking this.  Surely there has been some decision in the past quarter century he can use to distort that precedent.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I firmly believe, we are lucky to even see the GOP in the White House, Obama's 8 years, seemed like it could turn into 12 years of Democrats, maybe even 16 and you know, they want the demographics to change... Obama was our first Hispanic prez. or something, brown was the new white... and believe me, I hate identity politics, we are all Americans in this together.  The big tent is for all.

Offline TomSea

Those pro-life organizations and social conservative organizations like Concerned Women of America have lauded what Trump has done...sure, that Omnibus was weak, it wasn't the doing of one man.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
kaiser health news
Julie Rovner   
May 18, 2018

[excerpt]

https://khn.org/news/trump-proposes-cutting-planned-parenthood-funds-what-does-that-mean/

The planned revival of a policy dating to Ronald Reagan’s presidency may finally present a way for President Donald Trump to fulfill his campaign promise to “defund” Planned Parenthood. Or at least to evict it from the federal family planning program, where it provides care to more than 40 percent of that program’s 4 million patients.

Congress last year failed to wipe out funding for Planned Parenthood, because the bill faced overwhelming Democratic objections and would not have received the 60 votes needed to pass in the Senate.

But the imposition of a slightly retooled version of a regulation, which was upheld by the Supreme Court in 1991 after a five-year fight, could potentially accomplish what Congress could not.

This is a good move.  Planned Parenthood is much ballyhooed as a provider of feminine healthcare for the poor, but, in fact, PP doesn't provide much besides birth control counseling and abortion.  They refer their patients out for actual services like mammograms.

Of course, this regulation will have to jump through the usual hoops but with Trump's support has a decent chance of making it.

Everyone knows that Planned Parenthood sells baby parts, a particularly disgusting and ghoulish part of their money making but they deny this.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I firmly believe, we are lucky to even see the GOP in the White House, Obama's 8 years, seemed like it could turn into 12 years of Democrats, maybe even 16 and you know, they want the demographics to change... Obama was our first Hispanic prez. or something, brown was the new white... and believe me, I hate identity politics, we are all Americans in this together.  The big tent is for all.

@TomSea   Every once in a while I have to strongly agree with you.

We are incredibly lucky that Trump won.  8 year of Obama followed by 4 years of Hillary is a nightmare I'm glad I don't have to think about.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline TomSea

Fantom is correct too, sometimes, others attitudes and conduct are baffling and puzzling.

Offline TomSea

@TomSea   Every once in a while I have to strongly agree with you.

We are incredibly lucky that Trump won.  8 year of Obama followed by 4 years of Hillary is a nightmare I'm glad I don't have to think about.
@Emjay
I'll bet you can't name one thing we disagree on.

(I'm out of pocket for awhile,  I won't see any responses during that time)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

Not quite nothing, but in this case, not as much as you'd think.

“This proposal does not necessarily defund Planned Parenthood, as long as they’re willing to disentangle taxpayer funds from abortion as a method of family planning, which is required by the Title X law. Any grantees that perform, support, or refer for abortion have a choice – disentangle themselves from abortion or fund their activities with privately raised funds,” the official told the Standard.

Even apart from that, much of the hundreds of millions in annual federal money Planned Parenthood gets comes from Medicaid, which would not be affected by the rule change. Cutting it off would require legislation.

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/may/17/planned-parenthood-federal-funding-be-cut-trump-ad/
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.