Author Topic: Trump urged postmaster general to double rates on Amazon: report  (Read 2146 times)

Online kevindavis007

President Trump has reportedly urged the U.S. postmaster general to double shipping rates for Amazon.com and other companies amid months of his continued criticism that the online retailer is costing the Postal Service "billions" of dollars in revenue.

Trump has personally met with Postmaster General Megan Brennan multiple times since 2017 to petition her for a hike on rates for Amazon and other firms that ship packages, The Washington Post reported Friday, citing officials familiar with the conversations.

The president's demands came despite counsel from close advisers and top Postal Service employees that Amazon, the largest shipper of packages through USPS, actually helps keep it afloat financially.

Read More: http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/388355-trump-pushed-postmaster-general-to-double-rates-on-amazon
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Trump urged postmaster general to double rates on Amazon: report
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 08:14:14 pm »
She should tell him to F.O. he is not her boss. The Post Office is a independent NGA (non governmental agency) . It hasn't been a cabinet level agency since 1971.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 08:14:55 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 08:18:03 pm »
Except the Postmaster General cannot change postage rates.

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 08:22:01 pm »
    This Trump vs. Bezo fight is not gonna end well for the millions of Amazonians out there and with Gas approaching $3/gal it's a lose/lose for the American consumer
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 09:34:35 pm »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 11:14:50 pm »
Trump needs to leave Amazon alone.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 11:34:37 pm »
Amazon is already working on their own shipping methods. Charging them double will only make that happen sooner. This will not end well for Trump.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 11:51:30 pm »
Amazon is already working on their own shipping methods. Charging them double will only make that happen sooner. This will not end well for Trump.

It's stupid.  I don't know why he thinks this is a good target....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 11:53:20 pm »
It's stupid.  I don't know why he thinks this is a good target....

If Bezos didn't own the Washington Post, he would leave Amazon alone.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 12:00:57 am »

If Bezos didn't own the Washington Post, he would leave Amazon alone.

That's what makes it stupid.  It's obvious as heck why he's attacking Amazon.
I will NOT comply.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 12:15:28 am »

Donald J. Trump
✔
@realDonaldTrump

I have stated my concerns with Amazon long before the Election. Unlike others, they pay little or no taxes to state & local governments, use our Postal System as their Delivery Boy (causing tremendous loss to the U.S.), and are putting many thousands of retailers out of business!

6:57 AM - Mar 29, 2018

OK, someone help me out.  As a lowly thousandaire who doesn't have an accountant, I don't understand this tax avoidance nonsense.  Wasn't one of the points of signing tax reform lowering corporate taxes?  Don't state and local governments often give businesses tax incentives to attract them to their areas?  Aren't those things Trump looks for when building a property?  This particular wine is bursting with hypocrisy and has bitter notes of envy.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 12:18:47 am »
Is that why Amazon Prime is going up $20 ?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 12:26:21 am »

Donald J. Trump
✔
@realDonaldTrump

I have stated my concerns with Amazon long before the Election. Unlike others, they pay little or no taxes to state & local governments, use our Postal System as their Delivery Boy (causing tremendous loss to the U.S.), and are putting many thousands of retailers out of business!

OK, someone help me out.  As a lowly thousandaire who doesn't have an accountant, I don't understand this tax avoidance nonsense.  Wasn't one of the points of signing tax reform lowering corporate taxes?  Don't state and local governments often give businesses tax incentives to attract them to their areas?  Aren't those things Trump looks for when building a property?  This particular wine is bursting with hypocrisy and has bitter notes of envy.

It's bursting with ignorance on his part too.  Sales Tax is collected on most Amazon purchases now.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2018, 12:27:02 am »

No, that will be next year's excuse.  9999hair out0000
I will NOT comply.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2018, 10:09:42 am »
She should tell him to F.O. he is not her boss. The Post Office is a independent NGA (non governmental agency) . It hasn't been a cabinet level agency since 1971.

Some people are not so brave when the President of the United States intimidates them.  If the Post Master General does not want the President's twitter attention, or his enthusiastically loyal brownshirts knocking on his door, he will obey the King.

Offline ABX

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2018, 02:39:14 pm »

Donald J. Trump
✔
@realDonaldTrump

Simple answer, he is parroting Bernie Sanders and lying through his teeth.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2018, 02:44:53 pm »
Capitalism for me, but not for thee....

Offline Applewood

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2018, 03:20:00 pm »
Trump is just pizzed because Jeff Bezos' other company, The Washington Post, doesn't publish adoring articles about him.  He can't interfere in the Post without violating freedom of the press, so he is going after Amazon. 

Seems to me he is interfering with a business' operations and is trying to use his office to ruin companies he doesn't like.  I should think both are illegal.  But really who is going to stop him?  Certainly not the present lazy, corrupt congress. 

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2018, 04:04:16 pm »
Well if Trump is successful on his war against Amazon, I bet you that a Dem administration will go after Walmart.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2018, 05:08:20 pm »
Trump needs to leave Amazon alone.

Yes, he does.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2018, 05:09:42 pm »

Donald J. Trump
✔
@realDonaldTrump

I pay state taxes whenever I buy anything from Amazon.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2018, 05:10:43 pm »

No, I think that's because they can.  It's valuable enough to enough people to pay that amount.

Offline ABX

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2018, 05:11:44 pm »
I pay state taxes whenever I buy anything from Amazon.

It is kind of complicated and dependent on where a distribution center is located.

Some states don't have sales tax on online purchases, and that is a good thing.

After all, taxation is theft and the right should be about eliminating as many as possible, not using them to punish political opponents.

Offline ABX

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2018, 05:13:16 pm »
No, I think that's because they can.  It's valuable enough to enough people to pay that amount.

They are also offering a lot more services since they started that original pricing model. Unlimited cloud storage for photos, prime reading, prime video is growing, prime pantry samples, same day delivery in some areas....

Online libertybele

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2018, 05:13:19 pm »

I've been wondering the same thing.  In the same light, it's not like Amazon is hurting and they aren't making an enormous profit.  I know it's only $20, but I'm not sure that extra money is worth renewing my prime membership.  I watch a movie once in awhile and order stuff once in awhile, but I don't think I use Amazon enough to warrant the money.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.