Author Topic: Trump Administration Cracks Down on Student Visa Overstays  (Read 714 times)

rangerrebew

Trump Administration Cracks Down on Student Visa Overstays

Published: 
Mon, May 14th 2018 @ 1:11 pm EDT

Last week U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) changed how it calculates unlawful presence for students and exchange visitors in F, J, and M nonimmigrant status who overstay a visa. Under a new memorandum, they will begin to accumulate "unlawful presence" days starting on the date their F, J, or M immigrant status expires. Under the old policy, they started accruing unlawful presence on the day USCIS discovered the violation.

Those who have accrued more than 180 days of unlawful presence during a single stay may be subject to a three-year or 10-year ban on readmission. Those who have accrued more than one year of unlawful presence, whether in a single stay or multiple stays, are permanently inadmissible if they attempt to reenter without being admitted or paroled.

https://www.numbersusa.com/news/trump-administration-cracks-down-student-visa-overstays
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 01:44:27 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
Re: Trump Administration Cracks Down on Student Visa Overstays
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 09:43:22 pm »
VISA overstays are actually a much bigger problem than border jumping.  They need to use biometrics here, as well.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 06:32:07 pm »
VISA overstays are actually a much bigger problem than border jumping.  They need to use biometrics here, as well.
Are you suggesting that students that overstay their visas are more dangerous than criminals like MS13 or of the many jihadists from Pakistan or other Arab countries that have crossed our border?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 06:41:34 pm »
Are you suggesting that students that overstay their visas are more dangerous than criminals like MS13 or of the many jihadists from Pakistan or other Arab countries that have crossed our border?

No.  There are more people here who overstay their visas than people who jump the border.  So it's good the Administration is looking at them more closely.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 06:51:58 pm »

One of the September 11th, 2001 hijackers got in on a student visa.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 07:07:56 pm »
Being here illegally is still being here illegally.

The means on how you came into being here illegally should not make it any less of an offense.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 07:43:20 pm »
No.  There are more people here who overstay their visas than people who jump the border.  So it's good the Administration is looking at them more closely.
Since we know how many people overstay visas and do not know how many jump the border, I daresay that statistic is a WAG.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline skeeter

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 08:00:59 pm »
Being here illegally is still being here illegally.

The means on how you came into being here illegally should not make it any less of an offense.

QFT. I don't care which illegals they target as long as they're targeting someone.