Author Topic: Britons held in DR Congo freed  (Read 435 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Britons held in DR Congo freed
« on: May 13, 2018, 04:59:26 pm »
Britons held in DR Congo freed

Two Britons held hostage in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) have been released unharmed, Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson has announced.

Mr Johnson paid tribute to the DRC authorities and the Congolese Institute for Nature Conservation for their "tireless help".

The Britons are receiving "support and medical attention", according to a statement by Virunga National Park

Read more at: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44101319

Good news for a change.

Offline Suppressed

Re: Britons held in DR Congo freed
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 10:09:30 pm »
I think it's appropriate that we honor the ranger who gave her life trying to protect these tourists:

Rachel Katumwa, 25, the Virunga National Park eco-guard killed trying to protect two British tourists kidnapped by an armed gang CREDIT: FACEBOOK

Wildlife ranger killed trying to protect kidnapped Britons in DR Congo is named
Patrick Sawer, senior reporter
13 MAY 2018 • 1:07PM
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/05/12/wildlife-ranger-killed-trying-protect-kidnapped-britons/

A female park ranger was killed trying to protect two British tourists after gunmen ambushed their vehicle in Congo’s Virunga National Park.

The woman, named locally as Rachel Katumwa, was gunned down as the two Britons were dragged away and marched through the forest by their attackers, who are now demanding a $200,000 ransom for their safe return,

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn