Author Topic: Trump may submit North Korea nuclear deal for Senate approval, John Bolton says  (Read 1419 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Unlike the path taken by President Obama with the Iran nuclear deal, a top Trump administration official said Sunday the White House is open to submitting any denuclearization deal with North Korea to the Senate for formal approval.

“It’s entirely possible we’d proceed that way,” White House national security adviser John Bolton told CNN’s “State of the Union” program. “We’re still thinking about different alternatives. I wouldn’t want to foreclose the president’s options.”

“But it’s been one of the criticisms of the Iran nuclear deal, to be sure, that a deal of that level of consequence was not given to the Senate as many people think the Constitution provided,” he concluded.

Mr. Trump is set to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un next month in Singapore amid a push to secure a historic deal with the reclusive nation. The White House has maintained that any potential deal must center on North Korea fully giving up its nuclear program.

Submitting any deal to the Senate for approval would add a great deal of weight to the agreement, and would prevent Mr. Trump’s successor from easily scrapping it.

The Obama administration’s decision to skip congressional approval on the Iran deal has allowed Mr. Trump to much more easily pull out of the pact.
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/may/13/john-bolton-says-donald-trump-may-submit-north-kor/
Smart political move.

Will contrast a political but not legally binding 'deal' made by Obama with Iran with a true treaty that is legally binding as it would be approved by Congress.

And Dem Senators might feel squishy about not approving a popular disarmament arrangement with a notorious terrorist nation.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Maybe eventually.  It depends on what happens at the summit between President Trump and Kim Jung un. I wouldn't expect a treaty-level agreement, but if it opens discussions that could lead to a major alignment in policies, then that must go to the Senate for ratification, or the next Democrat President will scotch it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline kevindavis007

Also, it will put the Dems in a bind if they oppose the NK deal.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Also, it will put the Dems in a bind if they oppose the NK deal.

If the "deal" coming out of the NK relationship is something I don't like, I'll oppose it, same as Obama's rotten deals.  I'm open-minded about this whole affair.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
If the "deal" coming out of the NK relationship is something I don't like, I'll oppose it, same as Obama's rotten deals.  I'm open-minded about this whole affair.

Yes, @Cyber Liberty, bringing an agreement to the Senate will ensure more scrutiny and require more substance.  It would certainly preclude an "easy win".
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Frank Cannon

When did anyone get to have a say about anything Obama did?

Offline Fantom

You'd oppose it if it effected your Kim Che and Gaegogi.   Am I right?
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

No one...that is why all he did is so easy to erase.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Yes, @Cyber Liberty, bringing an agreement to the Senate will ensure more scrutiny and require more substance.  It would certainly preclude an "easy win".
Besides being a legal commitment between countries, in contrast to being a political one.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

What difference does that make, Frank?  I should nod my head and say "OK" because it's President Trump? 
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
You'd oppose it if it effected your Kim Che and Gaegogi.   Am I right?

You know better than that shit.  Do you know me as one who opposes the President at every turn?  Do you?  All I want is something we can all live with, does that make me a bad person?
I will NOT comply.

Offline Fantom

This is a good thing. Any Treaty should be put to the Senate for a vote. That is how it is done in America.

If it is not a Treaty/Senate backed "Deal". Then it is only a sort term thing.

BTW, is not beaching a treaty an act of war?

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

You know better than that shit.  Do you know me as one who opposes the President at every turn?  Do you?  All I want is something we can all live with, does that make me a bad person?

Easy there @Cyber Liberty ...... The Fantom does but speak in jest. No reason to be riled my friend.

And yes, we all want a proper resolution to this Korean conundrum. Interestingly enough we may be on the cusp of one.

Personalty, I would like to ultimately see reunification.

Your Friend
Fantom
A Simple Bricklayer.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Frank Cannon

What difference does that make, Frank?  I should nod my head and say "OK" because it's President Trump?

Yeah, sure. Why not?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Easy there @Cyber Liberty ...... The Fantom does but speak in jest. No reason to be riled my friend.

And yes, we all want a proper resolution to this Korean conundrum. Interestingly enough we may be on the cusp of one.

Personalty, I would like to ultimately see reunification.

Your Friend
Fantom
A Simple Bricklayer.

Thanks, friend.  I was hoping I read that incorrectly. :beer:

PS.  I think reunification would be good too.  This whole business going on with the Norks right now will benefit South Korea more than anybody else, they should be paying any money it costs.  I think we've spent enough there.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 12:37:35 am by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Yeah, sure. Why not?

Because I'm not wired that way.  You aren't either, really.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

What is the downside when the Senate fails to ratify it?

Offline Fantom

Why would the Senate fail to ratify an end to war? I realize that democrats are very partizan. But that would be a bridge too far I think. Their own personal Remagan in 2020.

That is what is on the table here.. a peace treaty. One that is only slightly less than the Berlin Wall falling.

Leverage...ZTE

Frederick Douglass

Simply means the country does not agree to what was offered.  Unlike what Obama did with Iran, which was strictly political, and not backed by the country as it did not have to extend past his Presidency, like an executive order.

The idiotic press, as well as a few judges, cannot recognize the difference.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Why would the Senate fail to ratify an end to war? I realize that democrats are very partizan. But that would be a bridge too far I think. Their own personal Remagan in 2020.

That is what is on the table here.. a peace treaty. One that is only slightly less than the Berlin Wall falling.

Leverage...ZTE

I can think of a couple of reasons the Senate would fail to ratify something.

The Republicans are likely to balk at anything that involves transferring oodles of cash to Kim Jong un. 

The whole Senate will likely balk at anything that allows Kim to get away with cheating.  Nothing short of handing over all weapons research materials, full and unfettered inspections to ensure compliance.  IOW, the same regimes that went with Libya and South Africa disarming the nukes.

The Democrats are likely to balk at anything that makes President Trump look good.

67 votes will be tough to get.  It will be interesting to see who votes against it, and why.  I just don't want an "Obama deal" that has all sorts of secret promises that are kept hidden from the American people.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Leverage...ZTE
To question your question in response to my question...What was the last thing the Congress passed that didn't add trillions of debt?  To answer my own first question the consequence to Congress not ratifying the NK treaty is days, and maybe weeks of articles about Trump failure to lead.  Trump isn't sending the treaty to the Senate and never was.  It's another lie.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
To question your question in response to my question...What was the last thing the Congress passed that didn't add trillions of debt?  To answer my own first question the consequence to Congress not ratifying the NK treaty is days, and maybe weeks of articles about Trump failure to lead.  Trump isn't sending the treaty to the Senate and never was.  It's another lie.

Then he'd petter not try to pass it off as a "Treaty."
I will NOT comply.

Offline GrouchoTex

Trump may submit North Korea nuclear deal for Senate approval, John Bolton says

If the negotiations get this far, I hope he will do so.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
This will make a very clear and public distinction between an 0bama-type action and a legal type action.