Author Topic: Super-hot lava threat for Hawaii as Trump declares disaster  (Read 941 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Super-hot lava threat for Hawaii as Trump declares disaster
Sky News, May 12, 2018

Hotter and faster lava flows with higher levels of toxic gas could soon hit Hawaii's big island, volcano experts have warned.

The fresh warning came after Donald Trump declared a major disaster on Hawaii's Big Island.

Homes have already been destroyed by lava and 1,900 people evacuated in Puna district after 15 large cracks opened up eight days ago on Kilauea's eastern flank.

A lava lake at the summit is draining inside the volcano, with the magma running underground, and scientists believe it could burst to the surface producing hotter, faster-moving lava.

"What will take a turn for the worse in terms of hazard is if hotter, fresher magma makes it to the surface, and that could be what is coming," said Hawaiian Volcano Observatory lead scientist Tina Neal.

"Once a new batch of hotter, gassier magma makes it to the surface we might see larger, higher eruption rates."

The magma that has emerged so far has been relatively cool and slow-moving, believed to be left over from a similar event in 1955.

More:  https://news.sky.com/story/super-hot-lava-threat-for-hawaii-as-trump-declares-disaster-11368974

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Super-hot lava threat for Hawaii as Trump declares disaster
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 04:26:14 pm »
Trump approves disaster aid for Hawaii's Big Island as aerial photos show huge fissures in the land and lava swallowing homes, as thousands more are told to get ready to flee Kilauea eruption
Daily Mail/UK, May 12, 2018

President Donald Trump has issued a presidential disaster declaration for Hawaii's Big Island as the state copes with Kilauea volcano's eruption.

Hawaii Governor David Ige said on Friday the declaration means federal assistance will be available as the state covers costs associated with damaged roads, public parks, schools and water pipes. The funds, approved one day after Ige requested them, will also cover costs for geologists and security personnel at roadblocks.

Lava flows from Kilauea volcano have destroyed 36 structures, including 27 homes, as the state suffers from declining tourism despite assurances that most of its islands remain safe. The lava flowing from 15 fissures now covers more than 117 acres.

On Friday, Hawaii County Civil Defense warned residents of lower Puna to prepare to evacuate on short notice, in the event of possible gas emissions and volcanic eruption.

Geologists say conditions are prime for a major eruption within hours or days. Kilauea's lava lake is on track to recede to groundwater levels at any time over the weekend, triggering 'violent steam-driven blasts', according to the US Geological Survey.

Incredible photos from an overflight earlier this week show huge columns of gas venting as the lava advances inexorably, destroying luxurious homes in its path.

The lava flowing from 15 fissures now covers more than 117 acres and has destroyed a total of 36 structures

Kilauea volcano sends 2,200-degree lava bursting through cracks into people's backyards in Leilani Estates neighborhood

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5720519/Hawaii-struggles-disappearing-tourism-residents-prepare-big-one.html#ixzz5FJ0gtiWv

« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 04:27:10 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 04:26:51 pm »
Sounds bad. But I'm not so sure I would feel any better if it were just plain old lava.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 05:10:46 pm »
https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/cultural_diversity/Hawaii_Volcanoes_National_Park.html

Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park

Hawai'i Island, Hawai'i

Located in one of the most unique and naturally diverse places on earth, Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park preserves and interprets the region’s exceptional volcanic features, its early human history, and its native plants and animals. The park is so significant that it has also earned designations as an International Biosphere Reserve (1980) and a World Heritage Site (1987). By protecting Kilauea and Mauna Loa, two of the world’s most active volcanoes and their natural setting, the park provides visitors with a front row seat to view the new land that volcanic eruptions create for Hawai'i Island. The park also is a place to ponder and respect Pele, the Hawaiian fire goddess, and to glimpse views of ancient Hawaiian structures, culture, life, and landscape. The park displays the results of hundreds of thousands of years of volcanic activity, migration, and evolution in a place where complex and unique ecosystems developed and a distinct ancient Hawaiian culture evolved.

snip
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 05:19:39 pm »
Make sure you bring extra-long skewers for the hotdogs and marshmallows!

Online dfwgator

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 05:55:52 pm »

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 07:58:06 pm »
Make sure you bring extra-long skewers for the hotdogs and marshmallows!

Heck, go for steaks!   Syracuse University's Lava Project:

082114 Lava Steak on Vimeo

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2015/05/grilling_steaks_lava_syracuse_university_project_volcano.html

[...]

According to NPR, chef Sam Bompas teamed up with the Lava Project to create the hottest barbecue in the world. He previously tried to roast marshmallows over flowing lava from an active volcano in Japan, and wanted others to try the experience.

"Cooking with lava is simply the most spectacular way to grill a 10-ounce rib-eye steak," Bompas told the radio station. "You are standing before this molten lava that flowing out, and it is beautiful."

[...]

"It was awesome - and totally delivers. In fact it was the best steak I've ever had in my life," Bompas told the Daily Mail in August.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 10:37:04 pm »
Yum!
@Oceander
First time I've tried embedding vimeo video. Did it work?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 10:44:56 pm »
This?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 10:46:18 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 12:47:25 am »
According to NPR, chef Sam Bompas teamed up with the Lava Project to create the hottest barbecue in the world. He previously tried to roast marshmallows over flowing lava from an active volcano in Japan, and wanted others to try the experience.

"Cooking with lava is simply the most spectacular way to grill a 10-ounce rib-eye steak," Bompas told the radio station. "You are standing before this molten lava that flowing out, and it is beautiful."

[...]

"It was awesome - and totally delivers. In fact it was the best steak I've ever had in my life," Bompas told the Daily Mail in August.

That's great, uh, "chef".  It's not fricken barbecue, however.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.