Author Topic: Beware the smart device: Alexa and Siri can hear this hidden command – You can’t  (Read 8936 times)

Offline mountaineer

If you really want to be "off the grid," I guess you need to ditch all electronic communications devices:
Cops can locate anyone’s cell phone in real time without a warrant, all thanks to a privacy backdoor
Posted on May 14, 2018
 by True Pundit Staff

Pervasive government surveillance might be virtually expected by this point, but in theory, there’s a robust legal system to deal with cops surveilling citizens. Law enforcement agencies are supposed to get a warrant and serve that to cellphone companies, who then provide the data.

But according to a New York Times report, a company that primarily deals with prison phone systems has leveraged a data-sharing service offered by phone carriers to allow cops to track any cellphone number, with no legal checks in place to stop it being abused.

According to the report, a former sheriff of Mississippi County, Missouri, used a service called Securus to surveil targets’ cell phones, including a judge and other police officers. Securus used a data system that cell phone companies typically offer to marketers who want to micro-target consumers based on data, including their location. But in this case, Securus tapped into the system and offers its subscribers virtually uncontrolled access to nationwide location tracking.  ...
Rest of story
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline thackney

If you really want to be "off the grid," I guess you need to ditch all electronic communications devices:Rest of story

https://www.amazon.com/Faraday-EMP-6pc-Survivalists-Preppers/dp/B01IQN7QG8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526315756&sr=8-1&keywords=emp+bags

$8 for 6 phone sized bags.  Lots of choices for this, or maybe just an empty chip bag.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
In for a great practical joke?  I did this to my wife and one of her friends.

Set a reminder or two or three, when you know they are there.

I then set a reminder for 10:00, 10:15, and 10:30

1st reminder-   You two ladies are damn ugly

2nd reminder-  You two ladies ever thought of skipping a meal or two?

3rd reminder- Do you two have a cage?  Guess, I need to call the dog catcher.  Calling......

Once she figured it out, I had little hell to pay, but it was worth it.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online roamer_1

@BassWrangler

Does not work on my computer, Windows 10. On mine, it cannot be disabled. You can disable functions on it like to keep it from using voice, but there is no way to disable it. Even if you go to Task Manager and disable the process Cortana, it starts itself right back up automatically. It is a Frankenstein App, you cannot kill it. (on my computer)

@240B
Yeah, you can...
First though, are you signed in with a local account, or are you signed in with a microsoft account? Because if you are signed in to a MS account, I dunno what this might do...

Settings=>Accounts
If it says 'Local account' under your name, and has an option to 'sign in with a microsoft account instead', you are golden.

If you are signed in to a Microsoft Account, and care about your privacy, I would highly recommend creating a local account instead. Back up your stuff first, and you will likely lose all your settings...

There used to be an option in that case to 'sign into a local account instead' in 'Accounts', but I don't know if that option is still there. ALL of my machines, and ALL of my clients are signed in to local accounts, right off the bat.

But anyway, there's this little gizmo by O&O software called Shutup10... It is free, and requires no installation... Just download it, save it somewhere where you can find it again, and run it. Under the 'Actions' menu, I use the yellow 'Recommended and somewhat recommended settings', and pretty much all of the Windows spyware is shut off, including Cortana.

Any time you get an update, you'll have to run it again - Sometimes M$ turns stuff back on during the updates... Just fire it up, goto Actions, and select the yellow option again, and close... You may need to suffer a restart, but everything will be turned off again with this easy method.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
@roamer_1 Just downloaded and ran the ShutUp App. The result was unbelievable. Not only did it turn off Cortana, which I thought was impossible, but now my computer runs faster and starts up faster. There are far fewer processes running in the task manager, and much less ethernet traffic during startup. It had a very positive effect.

I don't know how to thank you Mr. Roamer, that app really did perform beyond expectations.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@roamer_1 Just downloaded and ran the ShutUp App. The result was unbelievable. Not only did it turn off Cortana, which I thought was impossible, but now my computer runs faster and starts up faster. There are far fewer processes running in the task manager, and much less ethernet traffic during startup. It had a very positive effect.

I don't know how to thank you Mr. Roamer, that app really did perform beyond expectations.

Imma git me somma dat when I get homes.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online roamer_1

That's right - And it's good you know your way around good enough to understand that! Sorry if I treated you as a n00b - You never know...

And yeah - I like my privacy, but I am a real stickler for performance, and I HATE useless crap running in the background... All that M$ approved spyware takes up a whole lot of cycles. Get rid of it, right?

Por nada friend. Happy to be of service.
 :beer:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I ran @roamer_1's app, and it worked to get rid of Cortana.  I had to run it twice, though.  After the first time I ran it, Cortana was still there, and there was a "Telemetry" that was switched back on after the reboot.  Now, after the second pass, Cortana is gone from my task manager.

Oh, BTW, I was logged in under microsoft, and there was an option to sign in as a local user instead.  I did so before I started fiddling with the app from Roamer.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

I ran @roamer_1's app, and it worked to get rid of Cortana.  I had to run it twice, though.  After the first time I ran it, Cortana was still there, and there was a "Telemetry" that was switched back on after the reboot.  Now, after the second pass, Cortana is gone from my task manager.

That's unusual, @Cyber Liberty ... but I am glad you prevailed.

Oh, BTW, I was logged in under microsoft, and there was an option to sign in as a local user instead.  I did so before I started fiddling with the app from Roamer.

Thanks for that - I really didn't know, as it has been several iterations of Win10 since I have seen a machine logged in to an MS account...

I dare say logging in that way again will likely turn a lot of the telemetry back on...

As you likely assume, the app is a little reg hacker... I used to maintain my own, but it was tedious, and once I found O&Os offering (I have used their soft for a very long time) I was happy to let them manage that hot mess.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
That's unusual, @Cyber Liberty ... but I am glad you prevailed.

Thanks for that - I really didn't know, as it has been several iterations of Win10 since I have seen a machine logged in to an MS account...

I dare say logging in that way again will likely turn a lot of the telemetry back on...

As you likely assume, the app is a little reg hacker... I used to maintain my own, but it was tedious, and once I found O&Os offering (I have used their soft for a very long time) I was happy to let them manage that hot mess.

Yeah, I think I'll like it.  We'll see over time if it fixes the hangs Firefox used to give me, for no apparent reason.  I D/Led the app to my desktop so I'll be able to find it easily.

Added:  When I switched to local user, none of my settings were changed. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 11:46:39 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

Yeah, I think I'll like it.  We'll see over time if it fixes the hangs Firefox used to give me, for no apparent reason.  I D/Led the app to my desktop so I'll be able to find it easily.

@Cyber Liberty

It makes an .ini that you've probably noticed... Take that with if you move it somewhere else... or you'll lose your prefs...

Firefox hangs= I quit having trouble once I redirected the temp directory out of the profile... I put it in C:\TEMP\Firefox\.

Name this 'user.js' and drop it in your FF profile root...
----------------------8<---------------------------------
// Path to Cache folder:
user_pref("browser.cache.disk.parent_directory","C:\\Temp\\Firefox");

----------------------8<---------------------------------

I don't have a way to undo it easy, so back your profile first...
I move it out of there generally and move the profile into "%user%\Archives\Firefox\"
for backup purposes, and I don't need to pick up the temp files in that process...

That's how I found it out - one of my laptops is a throw-away OS for testing, and I noticed its FF was being buggy.... It was never set up for backup... Moved the temp out of that profile, and it straightened right out. Dunno why.  :shrug:

*Note* the .js will disappear from the FF profile once it's instruction has been fed into the db. so keep a copy around if you intend to adopt it...
And you'll have to delete the profile temp cache once the other temp is active... First start of FF will make the DIRs...

BassWrangler

@240B

I confirmed that you can disable Cortana speech input in the latest update to Windows 10. I clicked the buttons in the first screenshot below, and although I can still access Cortana by launching the UI and typing a search, it is not able to access the microphone and process my speech.

There doesn't appear to be "I'm paranoid that Microsoft is in cohoots with the government - turn off everything" button, but there's a list of all privacy related functions, and how to disable each of them and clear any existing data here:

https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10-cortana-and-privacy

Also note, there's an option to disable all access to the microphone on the device - from any app, not just Cortana. See the second screenshot.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 03:15:30 am by BassWrangler »

BassWrangler

You do realize that the cortana process does a lot more than just voice interaction, right? By disabling it this way, you will have completely broken the Windows 10 search feature.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
You do realize that the cortana process does a lot more than just voice interaction, right? By disabling it this way, you will have completely broken the Windows 10 search feature.

I can live with that. Hey, @BassWrangler check this out. I was thinking of you when I saw it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW5TvT1mo9k
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online roamer_1

EXCELLENT. Though in fact, untrue. The search feature works just fine on the local machine. If I need to search further than that, well that's what a browser is for.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
EXCELLENT. Though in fact, untrue. The search feature works just fine on the local machine. If I need to search further than that, well that's what a browser is for.

Yep. My search function works just fine. I was going to go into all that, but got distracted by Billy Bass.

BassWrangler

No, it's true. Try using the search bar in the Taskbar or clicking the circle shaped search /cortana button in the Taskbar. The Cortana UI process is what operates those. Your probably taking about search from explorer window, which is just a simple file search.

BassWrangler

I can live with that. Hey, @BassWrangler check this out. I was thinking of you when I saw it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW5TvT1mo9k

LOL, that's great. I need one of those.

Online roamer_1

No, it's true. Try using the search bar in the Taskbar or clicking the circle shaped search /cortana button in the Taskbar. The Cortana UI process is what operates those. Your probably taking about search from explorer window, which is just a simple file search.

@BassWrangler

the cortana button is gone, which is fine. Poke Start, start typing... Search results occur. Does all I need it to do. Like I said, local search works fine.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 09:43:23 pm by roamer_1 »

BassWrangler

@BassWrangler

the cortana button is gone, which is fine. Poke Start, start typing... Search results occur. Does all I need it to do. Like I said, local search works fine.

Ok, good. Does it still search things like content of emails (locally in your cache) and document contents?

Online roamer_1

Ok, good. Does it still search things like content of emails (locally in your cache) and document contents?

Dunno, don't care.  Any email search is done with my email client anyway, and I use search/change tools with regular expression capabilities for searching inside of text files...

But judging from results from file searches (which is about all I use Windows Search feature for), it is searching content, as I get weird returns based upon the word I might use... the file is always at the top, so I really don't care why it is returning the other flostam.  :shrug:

Online DB

Dunno, don't care.  Any email search is done with my email client anyway, and I use search/change tools with regular expression capabilities for searching inside of text files...

But judging from results from file searches (which is about all I use Windows Search feature for), it is searching content, as I get weird returns based upon the word I might use... the file is always at the top, so I really don't care why it is returning the other flostam.  :shrug:

Who wants all their searches of content on their own computer logged on Microsoft servers... Hell no (I'm agreeing with you).

Online roamer_1

Who wants all their searches of content on their own computer logged on Microsoft servers... Hell no (I'm agreeing with you).

@DB
That's right... I don't need all the whizbang at the cost of my privacy. Even if it is benign (which I don't believe it is), what it is establishing will be horrific in it's end. Predictably.

The thing that kills me is folks willing to live 24/7 with an open mike, and perhaps soon, an open cam... That, to me, is insanity... All for the ability to speak to a computer.   

Online DB

@DB
That's right... I don't need all the whizbang at the cost of my privacy. Even if it is benign (which I don't believe it is), what it is establishing will be horrific in it's end. Predictably.

The thing that kills me is folks willing to live 24/7 with an open mike, and perhaps soon, an open cam... That, to me, is insanity... All for the ability to speak to a computer.

Obviously I agree. I would consider voice command processing IF the voice processing is on equipment in my home that I have total control of behind a firewall. Then the only things that go out on the Internet are the things I tell it to do.

Online roamer_1

Obviously I agree. I would consider voice command processing IF the voice processing is on equipment in my home that I have total control of behind a firewall. Then the only things that go out on the Internet are the things I tell it to do.

I don't need voice anywhere in my home. Or my business.

The single caveat in that is my new smart phone - the thing is nearly useless to me without voice. So far, I am content to push the mike button and speak (texting as an instance)... But I really do see  the allure of being able to tell the thing to call someone, or play something, or find directions, etc while driving.

Thankfully, I am blessed by my redneck dialect - It is truly humorous to watch the dang phone try to figure out what I said. So likely, it ain't gonna be able to do me much good anyhow.  :shrug: