Author Topic: Beware the smart device: Alexa and Siri can hear this hidden command – You can’t  (Read 8926 times)

Offline Suppressed

Beware the smart device: Alexa and Siri can hear this hidden command – You can’t
May 11, 2018. NY Times
https://www.wraltechwire.com/2018/05/11/beware-the-smart-device-alexa-and-siri-can-hear-this-hidden-command-you-cant/

BERKELEY, Calif. — Many people have grown accustomed to talking to their smart devices, asking them to read a text, play a song or set an alarm. But someone else might be secretly talking to them, too.

Over the past two years, researchers in China and the United States have begun demonstrating that they can send hidden commands that are undetectable to the human ear to Apple’s Siri, Amazon’s Alexa and Google’s Assistant. Inside university labs, the researchers have been able to secretly activate the artificial intelligence systems on smartphones and smart speakers, making them dial phone numbers or open websites. In the wrong hands, the technology could be used to unlock doors, wire money or buy stuff online — simply with music playing over the radio.

A group of students from University of California, Berkeley, and Georgetown University showed in 2016 that they could hide commands in white noise played over loudspeakers and through YouTube videos to get smart devices to turn on airplane mode or open a website.

This month, some of those Berkeley researchers published a research paper that went further, saying they could embed commands directly into recordings of music or spoken text. So while a human listener hears someone talking or an orchestra playing, Amazon’s Echo speaker might hear an instruction to add something to your shopping list.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Thanks @Suppressed

I'll watch out for Siri and Alexa

@Cyber Liberty ping
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Thanks @Freya

Not liking this.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DB

Alexa and the like are simply a microphone in your house connected to the Internet...

The voice processing isn't done in the device in your home...

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Alexa and the like are simply a microphone in your house connected to the Internet...

The voice processing isn't done in the device in your home...

That is correct, but you can train it so it can only respond to your voice template (Plus  family members).
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

BassWrangler

Thanks @Freya

Not liking this.

You're about as likely to be a victim of this as to be kidnapped by Somali pirates and struck by lightening on the same day.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
You're about as likely to be a victim of this as to be kidnapped by Somali pirates and struck by lightening on the same day.

They used to say that about ID theft.  I have several of these contraptions in my hose, so I watch stories like this carefully.  The thing wakes up when it hears anything that sounds like "Alexa" on TV.  I have the choice of four "wake words," and "Alexa" seems the most unique in the language.

I'll have to look up what the possible wake words are....
I will NOT comply.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
My computer has no microphone and no camera. It can't be hacked if it doesn't exist.
I would never have an Alexa or Siri or any talking TV or anything like that. Too many stories. Those things are always active.

I don't want Alexa calling the Cops on me because of some misunderstanding.

The only vulnerability that I have is my cell phone. I have the camera covered until I want to use it. There is no way around the phone mic recording me. At least not that I can think of. Keep my phone in my pocket most of the time.

If I am going somewhere private to do something I don't want anyone to know about, I get a burner phone and leave my phone at home or in the office. This is equivalent to going into stealth mode. Without your phone and using only cash, Google cannot track you. *Poof* you simply disappear off the grid. At that point I am a ghost to the Google eyeballs.

Two women were in a coffee shop discussing sweaters. They love sweaters and had found a wonder boutique etc...yada,yada,yada

One of women said the next time she went on the internet, all the ads that came up were about sweaters. Even though she had never searched for sweaters before. Now that is spooky. I don't need some AI listening to everything I say and do. Some people like it, but it is not for me.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
They used to say that about ID theft.  I have several of these contraptions in my hose, so I watch stories like this carefully.  The thing wakes up when it hears anything that sounds like "Alexa" on TV.  I have the choice of four "wake words," and "Alexa" seems the most unique in the language.

Doesn't it have to be 'awake' already? To be able to hear the 'wake word'?
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Good point.  There is an "off" button so it doesn't do anything.  "Wake word" is probably not the best word for it, more accurate would be "Get ready to do something word."
I will NOT comply.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Good point.  There is an "off" button so it doesn't do anything.  "Wake word" is probably not the best word for it, more accurate would be "Get ready to do something word."

I would recommend turning it off if you are discussing something significant that you would not want to be made public. Or even something like a big stock trade or investment or anything private. That thing is listening to everything you say. And God only knows who is on the other end.

Oceander

Not really.  It just has to be in some power state that is higher than fully unpowered.  The reason it uses a limited number of “wake” words is that those can most likely be processed onboard, without having to go to the AI assist online.  It’s a little bit like a computer that’s in “sleep” mode but which will “wake” when the mouse is moved. 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I would recommend turning it off if you are discussing something significant that you would not want to be made public. Or even something like a big stock trade or investment or anything private. That thing is listening to everything you say. And God only knows who is on the other end.

Fortunately I just jibber-jabber nonsense all day.  Just ask Mrs. Liberty.  Sort of like the way I do here....
I will NOT comply.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Not really.  It just has to be in some power state that is higher than fully unpowered.  The reason it uses a limited number of “wake” words is that those can most likely be processed onboard, without having to go to the AI assist online.  It’s a little bit like a computer that’s in “sleep” mode but which will “wake” when the mouse is moved.

I understand. But given the FBI - Apple encryption issue, it would be reasonable to assume that government agencies have put some kind of back-door in the thing that allows them to listen without you knowing. Not that they would. I don't want to seem crazy here, but no doubt a capability exists to listen while in sleep mode. No doubt Amazon/Apple/Google could do it if they wanted to. And if it exists, it is only a matter of time until it is hacked.

BassWrangler

I have no idea who "they" is, but they sound like idiots.

BassWrangler

I understand. But given the FBI - Apple encryption issue, it would be reasonable to assume that government agencies have put some kind of back-door in the thing that allows them to listen without you knowing. Not that they would. I don't want to seem crazy here, but no doubt a capability exists to listen while in sleep mode. No doubt Amazon/Apple/Google could do it if they wanted to. And if it exists, it is only a matter of time until it is hacked.

Do you own a TV? Does your TV have WiFi or wired internet? Does it  have a microphone in it? Do you know for sure it doesn't? Could the government have a back door in that?

Do you own a cellphone? Does it have a microphone (yes)? Does it have network connectivity (yes)? Could the government have a back door in that?

It just amazes me the idiotic paranoia about these home assistant devices.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I don't want no "smart house".
I want it dumb -- like me!

Things just go better that way.

Offline berdie

I personally don't have or want one of these devices.

But I have a friend that has an alexa. One day, not activated, it asked if it could get to know her better...tell me about yourself...

Myself, I would have thrown the Talking Tina in the backyard after that.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Do you own a TV? Does your TV have WiFi or wired internet? Does it  have a microphone in it? Do you know for sure it doesn't? Could the government have a back door in that?

Do you own a cellphone? Does it have a microphone (yes)? Does it have network connectivity (yes)? Could the government have a back door in that?

It just amazes me the idiotic paranoia about these home assistant devices.
@BassWrangler

I take it that you have just called me an idiot and maybe fool. I have an idea. How about you live your life anyway you want to, and leave me the hell alone. I don't care what you do. I don't know why you would care about what I do and think.

As for the issues you listed, I have already discussed them. Did you even read and comprehend what I wrote? Have another beer and chill out. It is going to be a beautiful weekend.

BassWrangler

@BassWrangler

I take it that you have just called me an idiot and maybe fool. I have an idea. How about you live your life anyway you want to, and leave me the hell alone. I don't care what you do. I don't know why you would care about what I do and think.

As for the issues you listed, I have already discussed them. Did you even read and comprehend what I wrote? Have another beer and chill out. It is going to be a beautiful weekend.

Not calling you an idiot. Haven't had any beers. [nope]
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 12:49:02 pm by Mod1 »

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Not calling you an idiot. Haven't had any beers. .

LOL! Classy. And so witty. Well, given our conversation I am forced to bow to the superior intelligence. LOL you made my weekend. Unless I get FU a week, I just don't feel right. Carry on brother. Fight the good fight.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 12:49:20 pm by Mod1 »

Offline roamer_1

Oh just wait... this will be the new adware.

Online Gefn

• Cat Mod
I personally don't have or want one of these devices.

But I have a friend that has an alexa. One day, not activated, it asked if it could get to know her better...tell me about yourself...

Myself, I would have thrown the Talking Tina in the backyard after that.

Great episode of the Twilight Zone, @berdie . The late June Foray was Tina.

Online Gefn

• Cat Mod

@Cyber Liberty the wake word is "meow" . Why do you think all the catnip mice have been coming in prime boxes?