Author Topic: Starbucks chairman opens up about company’s race failures — and says its bathrooms are now open to a  (Read 619 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Starbucks chairman opens up about company’s race failures — and says its bathrooms are now open to all
Washington Post, May 10, 2018, Tracy Jan

Starbucks Chairman Howard Schultz said Thursday that the company will now open its bathrooms to everyone, regardless of whether a purchase has been made, following the arrest of two African American men who had asked to use the bathroom at one of its downtown Philadelphia coffee shops.

Schultz, speaking at the Atlantic Council in Washington hours before he was slated to receive a business leadership award, said the company is changing its policy, after weeks of controversy, because it wants everyone — customer or not — to feel welcome at Starbucks.

“We don’t want to become a public bathroom, but we’re going to make the right decision a hundred percent of the time and give people the key,” Schultz said, “because we don’t want anyone at Starbucks to feel as if we are not giving access to you to the bathroom because you are less than.”

He said that Starbucks previously had a “loose policy” that only customers should be allowed to use the bathrooms but that it was up to each store manager’s discretion.

<snip>

The coffee chain is slated to close more than 8,000 U.S. stores on the afternoon of May 29 for racial bias training, which Schultz characterized Thursday as the “largest training of its kind” on “one of the most systemic subjects and issues facing our country.”

More: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2018/05/10/starbucks-chairman-opens-up-about-the-companys-race-failures-and-says-its-bathrooms-are-now-open-to-all/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.6a985ed7732c

Offline Applewood

Good reason for me to stay away from Starbucks.

That and their overpriced lousy coffee. 

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Good reason for me to stay away from Starbucks.

That and their overpriced lousy coffee.
It won't take long in some areas for those bathrooms to become toxic and employee revolts over cleaning them after their use by 'special people'.

Offline darroll

Don't worry.
They will have Hazmat clean the bathrooms.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Don't worry.
They will have Hazmat clean the bathrooms.
Man, you have no idea! That may very well be necessary at times, I ran fast food for decades and saw first hand what some of those visitors were capable of. Also when I worked construction our company was hired to rehab a building the homeless had.................used . I will be kind and spare everyone examples.

Online berdie

I guess the powers that be at Starbucks haven't been to a local public library.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Geez. How many of this thread is there?
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.