Author Topic: Social Security Beneficiaries Top 62,000,000 for First Time  (Read 2355 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
By Terence P. Jeffrey | May 7, 2018 | 4:53 PM EDT
(Screen Capture)

(CNSNews.com) - In the first quarter of 2018, the number of Social Security beneficiaries topped 62,000,000 for the first time, according to data released by the Social Security Administration.

In fact, people receiving Social Security benefits in the United States now outnumber the population of Italy....

The 62,233,678 Social Security beneficiaries at the end of the first quarter of this year included 45,876,131 retired workers and their dependents, 5,990,290 survivors of deceased workers, and 10,367,257 disabled workers and their dependents.

The Social Security program includes Old Age and Survivors Insurance (OASI) and Disability Insurance (DI). ...

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/social-security-beneficiaries-top-62000000-first-time?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiWWpKbU5XUTBPVE5pTURkayIsInQiOiJmclB3NmY3ckpBV2JcL2ptZEV1VUpISkI3NGZpU0VBUVdTTjFLQXk5elhEUDBZUUtJRytXbzduRDBCS0o1U2M2SkZiRzhsYzVDVnF6bmtWUEZwclQwcmdVUjVoNU0xWlwvTjlmdlRPTmNXd1BWTUN1RHJ0K1M0NnViVGxcL21hdXBZWiJ9

Online LMAO

Re: Social Security Beneficiaries Top 62,000,000 for First Time
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 10:31:38 pm »
Which will make necessary entitlement reform  much more difficult
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 10:36:34 pm »
NOTE: Do NOT trust any 'scientific' study targeting seniors that say dark chocolate will make you live longer.  They're trying to kill us off.     :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 11:01:21 pm »
NOTE: Do NOT trust any 'scientific' study targeting seniors that say dark chocolate will make you live longer.  They're trying to kill us off.     :laugh:

88devil

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 11:04:01 pm »

But, we will go happy.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 11:44:38 pm »
They’ll need to raise the taxable income (currently 128K), retirement age, or both.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 12:01:00 am »
They’ll need to raise the taxable income (currently 128K), retirement age, or both.

And means test.  There is no godforsaken reason why someone with millions of their own wealth should be receiving social security. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 12:03:49 am »
And means test.  There is no godforsaken reason why someone with millions of their own wealth should be receiving social security.

Other than because they paid into it.

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 12:06:36 am »
Other than because they paid into it.

Hardly.  They paid nothing more than an additional income tax with a fancy-sounding name.  They didn’t buy an annuity, they didn’t make contributions to a pension plan.  They paid tax, pure and simple.  You aren’t entitled to get 110% or more of your regular income taxes back in the form of government welfare, why should that change just because a fancy label is applied to another income tax?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 12:08:38 am »
But, we will go happy.

With dark chocolate? You wash that down with red beet juice when you are really living it up?

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 12:26:11 am »
With dark chocolate? You wash that down with red beet juice when you are really living it up?

Try red wine instead.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline edpc

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 12:29:10 am »
Try red wine instead.

A good bourbon goes with it, too.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 12:32:55 am »
Hardly.  They paid nothing more than an additional income tax with a fancy-sounding name.  They didn’t buy an annuity, they didn’t make contributions to a pension plan.  They paid tax, pure and simple.  You aren’t entitled to get 110% or more of your regular income taxes back in the form of government welfare, why should that change just because a fancy label is applied to another income tax?

Just like every one else who pays into it.  I don't believe in demonizing wealthy people any more than we should demonize poor people.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2018, 12:34:09 am »

A good bourbon goes with it, too.

Merlot or Dewar's work just fine.

Beet juice?  Where the heck did you get that, @Frank Cannon? Ick!

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2018, 12:36:34 am »
Merlot or Dewar's work just fine.

Beet juice?  Where the heck did you get that, @Frank Cannon? Ick!

I was thinking of disgusting stuff I saw people drink at a nursing home once. Come to think of it could have been cranberry juice. That's red too.

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2018, 12:38:36 am »
Just like every one else who pays into it.  I don't believe in demonizing wealthy people any more than we should demonize poor people.

They didn’t pay into anything, they paid taxes.  Social security benefits are not a return on an investment, they are government-funded welfare, pure and simple, and they should be means tested the same way Medicaid is.

This simply shows what a good con-job Roosevelt and the liberals pulled when they enacted the taxes and the welfare program:  even intelligent people think they bought into something that’s theirs and which they’re entitled to get a return on. 

That’s a pure lie, fed to us by progressives. 

Until you can get over your addiction to liberal lies, you’re just part of the problem. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2018, 12:47:32 am »
They didn’t pay into anything, they paid taxes.  Social security benefits are not a return on an investment, they are government-funded welfare, pure and simple, and they should be means tested the same way Medicaid is.

This simply shows what a good con-job Roosevelt and the liberals pulled when they enacted the taxes and the welfare program:  even intelligent people think they bought into something that’s theirs and which they’re entitled to get a return on. 

Until you can get over your addiction to liberal lies, you’re just part of the problem.

Pffft.  Until you can get over your jealousy of those wealthier than you, then you're part of the problem.  (See how that works?)  Or, even better, as long as you continue to treat everyone on this board with naked contempt, you will probably get back what you put in.

Social Security is a Ponzi scheme.  Duh.  The point that I made very clearly and that you managed to avoid, is that if it is a tax and a Ponzi system for wealthy, then it is for those less wealthy too.  If you pay into it, you should benefit from it. 

Or, my preference, get rid of it because of its numerous problems.  Make people responsible for their own destinies.

Offline edpc

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2018, 12:49:55 am »
Or, my preference, get rid of it because of its numerous problems.  Make people responsible for their own destinies.

Privatization would be nice, but I think those days are gone.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2018, 12:56:15 am »

Privatization would be nice, but I think those days are gone.

We can dream.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2018, 12:56:29 am »

Or in effect more income & wealth redistribution, like beloved Europe.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2018, 01:22:56 am »
I really don't even know what to say about SS any more.  At some point it's going to fail, and a lot of people probably around my age are going to be royally ___ed. 
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline edpc

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2018, 01:31:33 am »
I really don't even know what to say about SS any more.  At some point it's going to fail, and a lot of people probably around my age are going to be royally ___ed.

I've paid into it since I was 15 and I'll be surprised if I see it in 20 years.  From time to time, they send a statement of my payments and earnings over the past 3 decades.  It's like they're rubbing it in.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2018, 01:46:27 am »

I've paid into it since I was 15 and I'll be surprised if I see it in 20 years.  From time to time, they send a statement of my payments and earnings over the past 3 decades.  It's like they're rubbing it in.

@edpc It's nice to meet someone else who's around my age!  It'll be great to have company as we sink ;(.  Part of me is fighting very hard not to be angry with our elders ;(.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Online LMAO

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2018, 12:37:16 pm »

And this is why reforms are so difficult. People have this idea that they “paid into” “their” Social Security and they are “entitled to it.”

Too many conservatives even believe that

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2018, 01:29:49 pm »
That 'hardly' sure seems a term a haughty well-heeled lawyer might use doesn't it?

Most people do not think that way, but why should you be able to comprehend that?

And exactly how do you determine when an individual gets 110% or more of regular income taxes back in the form of government welfare anyway?

You may call this 'another income tax' but the government sure didn't when it took the money out of a paycheck.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington