Author Topic: Residents voice frustrations at meeting as Hawaii volcano continues to wreak havoc  (Read 2171 times)

Offline thackney

Residents voice frustrations at meeting as Hawaii volcano continues to wreak havoc
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/08/residents-voice-frustrations-at-meeting-as-hawaii-volcano-continues-to-wreak-havoc.html

More than 100 frustrated residents packed into Pahoa High School's cafeteria Monday night, demanding county, state and federal officials be straight with them on the danger still developing as Hawaii’s most active volcano continues its path of destruction.

“Don’t tell us to sit in a shelter,” one angry resident said. “Tell us what is going on. Rumors and fear are spreading. What is going on? Someone tell us something.”

There has been a growing sense of confusion from some residents in the area. They say they haven’t been given details on what actions are being taken to protect their homes and what dangers remain.

The meeting comes as two new cracks in the ground were confirmed in the community. Twelve fissures have been reported in Leilani Estates, near the town of Pahoa.

Two new cracks in the ground emitting lava and gas have opened up in a Hawaii community where 35 structures have burned down. Official says there are 12 fissures in Leilani Estates....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

http://www.khon2.com/news/local-news/test/1165985690

...Residents watched as Hawaii County Mayor Harry Kim offered one plea for residents in the vicinity of the lava flow who still have not left: please evacuate.

"Every decision we make is to keep you safe as we go through this terrible time. We commit that to you," Kim said.

Officials, including Gov. David Ige, warned the community to stay on their toes and be prepared to evacuate at a moment's notice.

"It is a new situation because of the dangerous gasses, and working through what would be required for us to keep our first responders safe and to keep our community safe," Ige said. "It certainly has been challenging. I know we have those assets in place now. As you know, we activated a National Guard ground crew that is experienced in dealing with hazardous materials. They've been on the ground dealing with the testing."...

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
It's hot lava coming towards you, not a new road. You can't lie down in front of it and stop it. You can't do anything and stop it. It's coming. All you can do is get out of the way. The only question you should be asking is "Would you get out of my way so I can get out of here?".
Countdown to Resignation

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
So they want to now what's going on? Pele has had it with the infestation of people and is simply clearing them away.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Its a friggin volcano. What do they expect?

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat

I had nightmares for days when I read about Pompeii.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Exactly!

Online dfwgator

The thing is,  the folks in Pompeii didn't know it was a volcano.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
From the article:
“Don’t tell us to sit in a shelter,” one angry resident said. “Tell us what is going on. Rumors and fear are spreading. What is going on? Someone tell us something.”

Well, heck.
It's a volcano, and it's erupting.
No one knows just how much of the island is going to be consumed by the eruption.
You know as much as anyone else does, including "the experts", by just looking at the results.

What is going on?
Answer: A demonstration that people should not build homes too close to a known active volcano.
THAT'S what's "going on".

Perhaps you should sit down and watch this:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

I did too.  And that was before I learned about that other city.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I did too.  And that was before I learned about that other city.

Herculaneum
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Suppressed

As a geologist, I've had to explain to people why their house went into a sinkhole, or was flooded out, etc.... in places any geologist worth his salt wouldn't build.  So I'm very sensitive to people not really understanding what they're getting into...perhaps too sensitive to it.  So I have sympathy for people having questions. 

Part of the issue in cases like this isn't the technical side itself, but the questions about response.  For example, these people are probably feeling like they aren't getting the latest information from authorities and experts.  While the experts don't have all the answers, sometimes there are things that could be passed on.   And sometimes the authorities have more understanding than they share with the residents.

But dang...building on the leading-edge of the fore island of a hot-spot archipelago, you don't get much crazier than that! 
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online mountaineer

They apparently expect to have some say in what it does.  *****rollingeyes*****
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
But dang...building on the leading-edge of the fore island of a hot-spot archipelago, you don't get much crazier than that!

I've been on the Big Island, specifically where this is.  I've walked on the crust of the new (year old) Pāhoehoe lava.  (It reminded me of back in Michigan, walking on thick crusty snow.)  The other day I looked up this Leilani Estates on a map.  The homeowners are absolute fools for buying there, and the developer should be taken out and shot.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Suppressed

I've been on the Big Island, specifically where this is.  I've walked on the crust of the new (year old) Pāhoehoe lava.  (It reminded me of back in Michigan, walking on thick crusty snow.)  The other day I looked up this Leilani Estates on a map.  The homeowners are absolute fools for buying there, and the developer should be taken out and shot.

Well, I'm glad you didn't get confused by my terminology.  I know it's actually the trailing edge!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Well, I'm glad you didn't get confused by my terminology.  I know it's actually the trailing edge!

As a homeowner, doesn't really matter which edge.  It's the "edge" word that's important...lol.  I am not a Geologist.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 01:37:06 am by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline cato potatoe

I can't believe anybody built a house on top of a rift zone belonging to one of the world's most active volcanoes.  It was guaranteed to end badly.

Offline Hoodat

The other day I looked up this Leilani Estates on a map.  The homeowners are absolute fools for buying there, and the developer should be taken out and shot.

As should the insurance agent that sold them a homeowners policy.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline thackney

I can't believe anybody built a house on top of a rift zone belonging to one of the world's most active volcanoes.  It was guaranteed to end badly.

Surrounded by significant past lava flows on nearly all sides.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/multimedia_maps.html

Online mountaineer

Reminds me of the people who have built right on the banks of rivers, and then wonder how it happens that so-called "100 year floods" happen more than once per 100 years.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Hoodat

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline skeeter

In todays litigious climate I'm amazed that they let anyone out on that stuff. Its as sharp as broken glass in places. You can walk right up to fissures that are still glowing down inside.

With a little common sense I'm sure its totally safe but not all tourists have an adequate supply of that.

Offline thackney

In todays litigious climate I'm amazed that they let anyone out on that stuff. Its as sharp as broken glass in places. You can walk right up to fissures that are still glowing down inside.

With a little common sense I'm sure its totally safe but not all tourists have an adequate supply of that.

Reminds me of walking on glaciers in Alaska.  Then later reading about the bodies of people that fall through a thin layer and never recovered...

So I did that, once.  And I wouldn't let my kids go on them afterwards.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 02:25:27 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Maybe they should sue the volcano or get it evicted using zoning laws.
Countdown to Resignation