Author Topic: Why All the Secrecy?  (Read 486 times)

Offline endicom

Why All the Secrecy?
« on: May 05, 2018, 11:29:37 am »
National Review
Andrew C. McCarthy
May 5, 2018

‘How do you know Trump’s not a suspect?”

I’ve been hearing that question a lot these days. News reports indicate that Special Counsel Robert Mueller may try to coerce President Trump’s testimony by issuing a grand-jury subpoena if the president does not agree to a “voluntary” interview. That has sparked a public debate over the question of whether Mueller, an inferior executive officer, has such authority to strong-arm the chief executive — the official in whom the Constitution reposes all executive power, including the power that Mueller exercises only as long as the president permits it.

I don’t think he does.

To be clear, there is no question that Mueller, as a special counsel, is a federal prosecutor who has the authority to issue grand-jury subpoenas. But everyone who works in the Justice Department has a boss, including the attorney general (who answers to the president). As special counsel, Mueller answers to Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein (because Attorney General Jeff Sessions recused himself from the so-called Russia investigation). That means Mueller has the authority to issue a subpoena to the president unless Rosenstein — or the president — tells him not to.

More... https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/05/mueller-probe-basis-for-criminal-investigation-should-be-revealed/

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Why All the Secrecy?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 12:01:18 pm »
Trump has 100% of the Executive Power conferred Constitutionally, and Muellar serves at the pleasure of the President.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 12:41:46 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 12:32:17 pm »
Trump has 100% of the Executive Power conferred Constitutionally, and serves at the pleasure of the President.

But you might imagine that Trump serves at the pleasure of the bureaucrats.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 01:53:44 pm »
That means Mueller has the authority to issue a subpoena to the president unless Rosenstein — or the president — tells him not to.

The president also has the right to ignore it.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.