Author Topic: Cultural-Appropriation Outrage over a Prom Dress  (Read 500 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Cultural-Appropriation Outrage over a Prom Dress
« on: May 04, 2018, 07:39:29 pm »
It shows that people are desperate to be offended
By Jonah Goldberg
https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/05/chinese-prom-dress-cultural-appropriation-controversy/

. . . Cultural appropriation was originally a sociological term to describe how a majority culture borrows or adapts from a minority culture some custom, fashion, cuisine, or practice. At some point, alas, it went from being descriptive to proscriptive . . .

. . . Without cultural appropriation, American blacks would never have picked up European musical instruments to create the blues and jazz. Without cultural appropriation, white and black artists alike would never have spun these wonderful creations into rock ’n’ roll.

Nearly every meal you’ve ever eaten is the byproduct of centuries of cultural appropriation, to one extent or another. This column is written in English, a language that contains hundreds of thousands of words appropriated from other tongues. Just under two-thirds of our language derives from Latin or French. About a quarter is Germanic in origin. And about a sixth comes from Greek, Arabic, and other languages.

Christianity was a Middle Eastern religion “appropriated” by Europeans . . .

. . .Which brings me back to China. The New York Times did a great journalistic service this week: It investigated whether the Chinese were offended by Daum’s alleged hate crime. The overwhelming response? Nope. Chinese social media and cultural commentators celebrated Daum’s decision as a compliment.

But in America, unfortunately, some people are so insecure in their identity and so desperate to be offended they have breathed new life into H. L. Mencken’s definition of puritanism: “the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.”
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Meanwhile, Keziah Daum staunchly refuses to apologise for wearing the dress and insists she'd wear it again. Good, says I . . . a very unapologetic player and writer of blues with jazz and soul influences!---EA.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Cultural-Appropriation Outrage over a Prom Dress
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 07:40:37 pm »
That round eyed girl is smokin hot!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 08:06:23 pm »
Pasta noodles from China, Tomatoes from Mexico and boom boom the Italians fashioned some of the world's favorite dishes.

Potatoes from Peru, and boom boom we have "meat and potatos," mainstay of certain cultures, not to mention Pomme Frites--aka French Fries.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 08:23:26 pm »
The Identity Fascists have sought to convert appreciation into "appropriation", perversely interpreting human acts of tribute as insults.

Such tribal determinism is entirely antithetical to the very idea of America, as it simultaneously denies the primacy of the individual and demonizes cultural cooperation and sharing. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 08:56:23 pm »
Pasta noodles from China, Tomatoes from Mexico and boom boom the Italians fashioned some of the world's favorite dishes.

Potatoes from Peru, and boom boom we have "meat and potatos," mainstay of certain cultures, not to mention Pomme Frites--aka French Fries.
@truth_seeker
Imagine what the cultural appropriators would do if they ever got onto . . .

They'd have to attack multicultural appropriation!

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 09:12:38 pm »
@truth_seeker
Imagine what the cultural appropriators would do if they ever got onto . . .

Hawaii, South and Central America, Africa....that I can think of. Enjoyed the world over, I do believe.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 09:43:10 pm »
Hawaii, South and Central America, Africa....that I can think of. Enjoyed the world over, I do believe.
I had a Serbian coffee recently that was to die for. I wish I could remember the brand . . .