Author Topic: What's Inside President Trump's New Religious Freedom Executive Order  (Read 7090 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
What's Inside President Trump's New Religious Freedom Executive Order
Benjamin Gill

Christian leaders are reacting positively to news that President Donald Trump is unveiling a new White House plan to protect religious freedom and to work more closely with the faith community.

The president is announcing the new initiative today on the National Day of Prayer.

Evangelist Franklin Graham praised the move saying, "I'm extremely grateful that we have a president who realizes the importance of prayer, faith, and religious freedoms to our nation."

Read more at: https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/politics/2018/may/whats-inside-president-trumps-new-religious-freedom-executive-order

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
"In particular, the Secretary of the Treasury shall ensure, to the extent permitted by law, that the Department of the Treasury does not take any adverse action against any individual, house of worship, or other religious organization on the basis that such individual or organization speaks or has spoken about moral or political issues from a religious perspective, where speech of similar character has, consistent with law, not ordinarily been treated as participation or intervention in a political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) a candidate for public office by the Department of the Treasury."

Offline Right_in_Virginia

'I Will Always Protect Religious Liberty': What's Inside President Trump's New Executive Order
CBNNews, May 3, 2018, Benjamin Gill, Ben Kennedy

WASHINGTON – In recognition of the National Day of Prayer, President Donald Trump signed an executive order Thursday creating a new White House faith-based initiative to protect religious freedom.

"As president, I will always protect religious liberty," Trump told faith leaders gathered in the White House Rose Garden. "Prayer has always been the center of American life. It's forged the identity and destiny of this great nation that we all love."

Vice President Mike Pence echoed that sentiment. "The greatest words the president and I ever hear is, 'I'm praying for you,' " Pence said. "The American people believe in prayer."

Trump's faith initiate aims to allow people to exercise their beliefs freely and give faith-based organizations equal access to government funding.

More: https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/politics/2018/may/whats-inside-president-trumps-new-religious-freedom-executive-order

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Wasn't this already posted?

Offline MOD3

Topics merged.

THE WHITE HOUSE
 Office of the Press Secretary
 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
 May 3, 2018

NATIONAL DAY OF PRAYER, 2018

- - - - - - -

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

A PROCLAMATION

On this National Day of Prayer, we join together to offer gratitude for our many blessings and to acknowledge our need for divine wisdom, guidance, and protection.  Prayer, by which we affirm our dependence on God, has long been fundamental to our pursuit of freedom, peace, unity, and prosperity.  Prayer sustains us and brings us comfort, hope, peace, and strength.  Therefore, we must cherish our spiritual foundation and uphold our legacy of faith.

Prayer has been a source of guidance, strength, and wisdom since the founding of our Republic.  When the Continental Congress gathered in Philadelphia to contemplate freedom from Great Britain, the delegates prayed daily for guidance.  Their efforts produced the Declaration of Independence and its enumeration of the self-evident truths that we all cherish today.  We believe that all men and women are created equal and endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, including life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.  Prayer sustained us and gave us the strength to endure the sacrifices and suffering of the American Revolution and to temper the triumph of victory with humility and gratitude.  Notably, as one of its first acts, our newly formed Congress appointed chaplains of the House of Representatives and Senate so that all proceedings would begin with prayer.

As a Nation, we have continued to seek God in prayer, including in times of conflict and darkness.  At the height of World War II, President Franklin D. Roosevelt called for prayer "for the vision to see our way clearly    to see the way that leads to a better life for ourselves and for all our fellow men    and to the achievement of His will to peace on earth."  Decades later, following one of the darkest days in our Nation's history, President George W. Bush offered this prayer for our heartbroken country, mourning the precious souls who perished in the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001:  "We ask Almighty God to watch over our Nation, and grant us patience and resolve in all that is to come.  We pray that He will comfort and console those who now walk in sorrow.  We thank Him for each life we now must mourn, and the promise of a life to come."

America has known peace, prosperity, war, and depression    and prayer has sustained us through it all.  May our Nation and our people never forget the love, grace, and goodness of our Maker, and may our praise and gratitude never cease.  On this National Day of Prayer, let us come together, all according to their faiths, to thank God for His many blessings and ask for His continued guidance and strength.

http://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/2018/may/president-trumps-national-day-of-prayer-declaration

Offline skeeter

Wasn't this already posted?

If it was then it'll be an even quieter thread that I would expect, given the topic.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 08:40:57 pm by skeeter »

America is a nation of believers, and together we are strengthened by the power of prayer.”  President Donald J. Trump

A VOICE IN THE WHITE HOUSE: Today, President Donald J. Trump signed an Executive Order to ensure that the faith-based and community organizations that form the bedrock of our society have strong advocates in the White House and throughout the Federal Government.

•President Trump has signed an Executive Order entitled “Establishment of a White House Faith and Opportunity Initiative” in order to:

•provide recommendations on the Administration’s policy agenda affecting faith-based and community programs;

•provide recommendations on programs and policies where faith-based and community organizations may partner and/or deliver more effective solutions to poverty;

•apprise the Administration of any failures of the executive branch to comply with religious liberty protections under law; and

•reduce the burdens on the exercise of free religion.

•The Executive Order creates the White House Faith and Opportunity Initiative within the Executive Office of the President.

•The Initiative will be led by the newly created position of Advisor to the White House Faith and Opportunity Initiative (Initiative) and be supported by experts and various community and faith leaders from outside of the Federal Government.

Read more:  https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/president-donald-j-trump-stands-religious-freedom-united-states/

If it was then it'll be an even quieter thread that I would expect, given the topic.

Yes @skeeter .... the two threads have been merged into this one.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

True.

Offline roamer_1

Whee.. Yet another EO 'victory'...

Offline SirLinksALot

OK, I appreciate this executive order, but here's my question --- WHAT DOES THIS MEAN IN PRACTICE?

A Christian Baker is losing his business and being fined over a hundred thousand dollars for refusing to bake a cake for a homosexual marriage because it is against his religious beliefs.

A Christian Florist is being fined for refusing to provide her services for a gay wedding.

A Christian couple who owns a lodge refuses to host a gay wedding and reception.

I don't have to mention Christian photographers, you know what's  up with that....

So, what does this EO mean to these folks ?

Offline thackney

OK, I appreciate this executive order, but here's my question --- WHAT DOES THIS MEAN IN PRACTICE?

So far, the intentions seem to be:

...“The faith initiative will help design new policies that recognize the vital role of faith in our families, in our communities, and in our great country. This office will also help ensure that faith based organizations have equal access to government funding and the equal right to exercise their deeply held beliefs,” Trump added.

The initiative will advise the administration on opportunities to partner with faith-based organizations and communities to address poverty. It will also alert the administration to any ways in which current policies breach religious liberty and make recommendations on how to rectify those breaches. Executive departments without Centers for Faith and Opportunity Initiatives will appoint liaisons to the initiative....

http://dailycaller.com/2018/05/03/trump-signs-faith-based-initiative/
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online libertybele

The big question that immediately entered my mind is what does the E.O. mean for Sharia law and Islamic religious tradition?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

A Christian Baker is losing his business and being fined over a hundred thousand dollars for refusing to bake a cake for a homosexual marriage because it is against his religious beliefs.

A Christian Florist is being fined for refusing to provide her services for a gay wedding.

A Christian couple who owns a lodge refuses to host a gay wedding and reception.

I don't have to mention Christian photographers, you know what's  up with that....

So, what does this EO mean to these folks ?

Nothing.  The victims of unlawful discrimination have the right to sue civilly.   The federal government can file amicus briefs to try to influence the result, but ultimately those hurt by discrimination have the right to their day in court. 

The solution?  Stop discriminating!   Provide the services you've advertised to provide!
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The big question that immediately entered my mind is what does the E.O. mean for Sharia law and Islamic religious tradition?

What is that 1% of the population? And that's the immediate big question you have?

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
libertybele asked:
"The big question that immediately entered my mind is what does the E.O. mean for Sharia law and Islamic religious tradition?"

Well, it could pose a problem for those of us who are opposed to islam in all its forms.

And that's why this:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Must be changed to read thus:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. The followers of muhammed are specifically excluded and denied the protections of this amendment along with any and all other Constitutional protections. Neither the United States nor the Several States will offer such protections or liberties to the followers of muhammed."

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
libertybele asked:
"The big question that immediately entered my mind is what does the E.O. mean for Sharia law and Islamic religious tradition?"

Well, it could pose a problem for those of us who are opposed to islam in all its forms.

And that's why this:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Must be changed to read thus:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. The followers of muhammed are specifically excluded and denied the protections of this amendment along with any and all other Constitutional protections. Neither the United States nor the Several States will offer such protections or liberties to the followers of muhammed."

I grant you points for honesty.  You're afraid of religious freedom.  You're afraid of a government that adopts a stance of neutrality vis a vis religious sects.   You are of the view that religion and religious tribalism, taken to the extreme,  is fundamentally corrosive of free will and human liberty.

But consider -  America has for over two centuries absorbed the diaspora of the world's religions.   I have faith that Muslims, like others before them, will assimilate and accept the "secular religion" that is the American experiment of respect for individual liberty and autonomy regardless of race, color or creed.   

Offline Hoodat

I grant you points for honesty.  You're afraid of religious freedom.  You're afraid of a government that adopts a stance of neutrality vis a vis religious sects.

A stance of neutrality?  That would be refreshing.  Instead, we get a government that sides with Secular Humanism every time.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
The US has laws prohibiting Housing discrimination on the basis of race (and other things).

Why are cakes different from housing?

When I renew my real estate license every 44 years, I have to re-study the federal and state laws, prohibiting discrimination in housing.

If a black (or disabled, or homosexual) prospective client approaches me, I am prohibited by laws, from refusing to serve them. Further, landlords and sellers, are prohibited from refusing to sell to various categories.

California's law dates to 1959, and the federal law to 1968. Both now include sexual orientation.

Housing is a much bigger deal, than cakes. If you own a house/apartment for rental you are obligated to not discriminate against gays.

This prohibition is even in effect, for property owners that have a religious belief against homosexuality.

Cakes and bakeries make for nice visuals, but real estate is a bigger part of our national and community lives.

I am fairly neutral, but my point is to say cakes are only one aspect of equal rights/non-discrimination for minority categories.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline roamer_1

Some pigs are more equal than others, evidently.
What is an astonishment is that there are folks hawking that shit on a conservative forum.

Offline Hoodat

.  .  .  This prohibition is even in effect, for property owners that have a religious belief against homosexuality.

Cakes and bakeries make for nice visuals, but real estate is a bigger part of our national and community lives.

I am fairly neutral, but my point is to say cakes are only one aspect of equal rights/non-discrimination for minority categories.

@truth_seeker

I am not aware of a single case where someone was denied the purchase of an available cake item because they were homosexual.  Can you cite such a case?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 06:30:53 pm by Hoodat »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline skeeter

Sharia law creates a caste system of unequal rights. I doubt very much a religious freedom EO would grant muslims any benefits they don't already have. The government hasn't shown much interest in oppressing them anyway.

Offline Suppressed

Whee.. Yet another EO 'victory'...

I suppose that the charitable way to look at all of these EOs that just "study" a problem is to have faith that after all these studies are done, we'll actually get some action, not just words and more spending.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Some pigs are more equal than others, evidently.
What is an astonishment is that there are folks hawking that shit on a conservative forum.

Bakers, photographers and facilities owners can all freely decide whether to participate in the market for wedding services.   But if they do decide, then they are obliged to not discriminate.  That obligation to serve the general public on a non-arbitrary basis, as TS has pointed out, has existed for decades.   Why does it suddenly have some "conservatives" up in arms?   What saddens me is that it makes all of us who self-identify as conservatives look bad.