Author Topic: DNA sequences suggest 250 people made up original Native American founding population  (Read 1322 times)

rangerrebew

DNA sequences suggest 250 people made up original Native American founding population
May 2, 2018, University of Kansas

A University of Kansas anthropological geneticist is part of an international research team working to shed light upon one of the unanswered questions concerning the peopling of the New World: Namely, what was the size of the original founding population of the Americas?

Despite numerous genetic studies that have helped contribute to knowledge about how ancient groups populated the Americas, scientists have not reached a consensus about how many Native Americans made up the original population. This analysis of DNA sequences suggests the Native American founding population that migrated from Siberia consisted of approximately 250 people.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-05-dna-sequences-people-native-american.html#jCp

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
So.....that would seem to suggest they were from Arkansas where family trees are straight and true.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
This would have been one migration.  There is evidence of at least two.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Was Liz Warren one of the 250?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online roamer_1

Way more than that. The Americas have been populated as far back as history goes... with intercontinental trade/

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Way more than that. The Americas have been populated as far back as history goes... with intercontinental trade/

I heard the had tariffs on trade too.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

I wonder what languages say, about multiple migrations? I recall reading that various "indigenous" languages are totally different. That suggests little relation to each other.

OTOH much of Europe and Asia shares "Indo-European" languages, in a group with many similarities.

Hindi, Farsi, are related to English, French etc. This suggests migrations.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Good question.  Remember though that, depending on circumstances, newcomers' language can replace the indigenous language - like English replaced Gaelic, so that many years in the future there is only small evidence of the replaced language.

It's a very complicated picture.  This Britannica article is pretty good in showing the degree of complication:  https://www.britannica.com/topic/North-American-Indian-languages

And, this diagram:

« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 09:43:35 pm by Sanguine »

Offline truth_seeker

- like English replaced Gaelic, so that many years in the future there is only small evidence of the replaced language.

Gaelic  means Celtic, and the Celts came into Britain in at least two waves long before the first "Angle."

"Anglish" only arose from the Germanic tribes that migrated into Britain, near the time the Romans departed. Gaelic remains to this day in Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Cornwall and Manx I think.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Gaelic  means Celtic, and the Celts came into Britain in at least two waves long before the first "Angle."

"Anglish" only arose from the Germanic tribes that migrated into Britain, near the time the Romans departed. Gaelic remains to this day in Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Cornwall and Manx I think.

There is a great deal of variety in the different forms of Gaelic, and it had to be restored in most places.  Not sure about the Isle of Mann.  However, they do have a fascinating flag.

Offline truth_seeker

There is a great deal of variety in the different forms of Gaelic, and it had to be restored in most places.  Not sure about the Isle of Mann.  However, they do have a fascinating flag.

Two main forms of Celtic; Brythonic and Goidelic, in the British Isles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insular_Celtic_languages

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brittonic_languages (Welsh, Breton, Cornish)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goidelic_languages (Irish, Scottish Gaelic, Manx)

Breton, related to Welsh is spoken in Brittany-France. Another member of the Celtic language diaspora, is Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Offline Suppressed

...the Isle of Mann.  However, they do have a fascinating flag.

Ah, something I know about!

It's gules, a triskele argent garnished and spurred or.  In other words: red, with three fancy silver (armored) legs spiraling out from the center, with gold spurs.  It comes from the arms of the King of Mann...which we know of as far back as the late 13th Century because they're one of the last arms shown on the Wijnbergen Armorial Roll. 

Useless info...I know.

The red ("gules") isn't a blood red. Blood red is non-standard, but if used, would be blazoned "sanguine".
@Sanguine  :laugh:

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 02:29:46 am by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Ah, something I know about!

It's gules, a triskele argent garnished and spurred or.  In other words: red, with three fancy silver (armored) legs spiraling out from the center, with gold spurs.  It comes from the arms of the King of Mann...which we know of as far back as the late 13th Century because they're one of the last arms shown on the Wijnbergen Armorial Roll. 

Useless info...I know.

Maybe not practical, but not useless. 

Offline Suppressed

Maybe not practical, but not useless.

You're too kind! (I mean that literally! :-)
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Frank Cannon

Yeah. I heard about the second one. They were dope...