Author Topic: Brown Called Gas Tax Opponents 'Freeloaders.' He's Spending Billions of Their Money to Fund Transit  (Read 338 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
$2.4 billion of new gas tax revenue will go to light rail and electric bus networks
By Christian Britschgi
http://reason.com/blog/2018/04/27/california-gov-jerry-brown-called-gas-ta

When California Gov. Jerry Brown was defending SB 1—last year's transportation funding package, which included $5.4 billion in annual gas tax and vehicle registration fee increases—he had an uncharitable term for his opponents: freeloaders.

"The freeloaders—I've had enough of them," he said at an Orange County event. "Roads require money to fix." The state was strapped for cash, he argued; drivers needed to pay up, lest the roads and highways devolve into gravel paths.

That argument didn't carry much water then, given that Golden State motorists were already paying some of the highest gas taxes in the nation. It certainly doesn't carry much water now that we have a firmer picture of where this new money is going.

On Thursday, the state's Transportation Agency announced grant recipients for some $2.6 billion of the transit funding raised by SB 1. The awards include $28.6 million for 40 zero-emission buses in Anaheim and $40.5 million for light-rail vehicles in Sacramento. Los Angeles snagged $330 million to build out its rail transit network in preparation for the 2028 Olympics.

A total of 28 projectswere awarded SB 1 money. None of them involves road upkeep at all . . .
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Once a Gov. Moonbeam, always a Gov. Moonbeam.---EA.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Shine em on Moonbeam.  You are special.  So very special.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."