Author Topic: Amazon surprises Wall Street with huge profits, optimistic outlook  (Read 1248 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Amazon.com Inc’s (AMZN.O) march in retail and cloud computing showed no sign of slowing on Thursday, as the company reported a surge in first-quarter profit and a rosy outlook for the spring, surprising all but the most optimistic on Wall Street.

The world’s largest online retailer also announced it was increasing the price of an annual U.S. Prime membership to $119 from $99 starting May 11 for new members and June 16 for renewing members.

In addition, Amazon and the U.S. National Football League announced a deal to stream Thursday night games during the 2018 and 2019 seasons on Amazon’s Prime Video.

Amazon’s shares rose 6 percent in after-hours trade.

Continued - https://www.reuters.com/article/us-amazon-com-results/amazons-first-quarter-revenue-surges-43-percent-idUSKBN1HX3A3

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Amazon surprises Wall Street with huge profits, optimistic outlook
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 01:29:44 am »
POTUS is not going to be pleased with this news.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 01:54:07 am »

He does have a hate boner for Bezos.   :cool:
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 11:53:08 am »

000hehehehe

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 01:07:22 pm »

Screw him.  I'm doing my part to keep Amazon in business.  Just placed an order.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 01:13:27 pm »
Screw him.  I'm doing my part to keep Amazon in business.  Just placed an order.

Me too.  But in an act of defiance...I refuse to become a "Prime" member.  So take that Bezos, you Commie Bastard! You'll never give me Free Two Day Shipping.  :smokin:
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 01:26:41 pm »
I just started using my last can of hair spray.  Compared to the outrageous prices at my physical Walgreens, and the fact Walmart is always out of the one I want and charges shipping if I order on line, I get the lowest prices at Amazon with free shipping.  Years ago, hair spray was cheap; that is not the case now, but John Freida for blonds is fairly cheap compared to the rest.

Prices for everything is going up so fast and amounts in cans/boxes are going down, including food.

When I was a child, I remember my Dad having a fit that a cup of coffee had gone from 5 cents to 10 cents.  For the car, I think I remember gas was 25 cents a gallon.
Yes, I know I am the oldest one on this forum, and some say bad things to me for being this old, but one day, if you don't die before then, you will be this age and you will recall how prices went up from when you were a child because prices will keep going up.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 01:31:02 pm »
I just started using my last can of hair spray.  Compared to the outrageous prices at my physical Walgreens, and the fact Walmart is always out of the one I want and charges shipping if I order on line, I get the lowest prices at Amazon with free shipping.  Years ago, hair spray was cheap; that is not the case now, but John Freida for blonds is fairly cheap compared to the rest.

Prices for everything is going up so fast and amounts in cans/boxes are going down, including food.

When I was a child, I remember my Dad having a fit that a cup of coffee had gone from 5 cents to 10 cents.  For the car, I think I remember gas was 25 cents a gallon.
Yes, I know I am the oldest one on this forum, and some say bad things to me for being this old, but one day, if you don't die before then, you will be this age and you will recall how prices went up from when you were a child because prices will keep going up.

Anyone who mocks someone else for being old is a complete dunderhead.

I've seen the mockery here.

Ignore it.   The problem is theirs.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 01:32:08 pm »

Maybe his juvenile war on Amazon is helping their business.

Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 01:38:49 pm »
Maybe his juvenile war on Amazon is helping their business.

Most likely.