Author Topic: Subway Plans to Close 500 U.S. Stores, Build Global Reach  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Applewood

Subway Plans to Close 500 U.S. Stores, Build Global Reach
« on: April 26, 2018, 07:52:41 pm »
Subway Plans to Close 500 U.S. Stores, Build Global Reach

Subway Restaurants, the world’s most ubiquitous dining chain, will continue closing U.S. stores as it expands internationally.

More at:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-25/subway-plans-500-u-s-store-closings-while-building-global-reach

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: Subway Plans to Close 500 U.S. Stores, Build Global Reach
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 09:01:03 pm »
More at:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-25/subway-plans-500-u-s-store-closings-while-building-global-reach

Subway over saturated the market place with their Stores.  They might as well have set up Kiosks in Freeway Road Stop bathrooms at the rate they were going.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 11:40:26 pm »
I almost opened a subway until I learned they have no loyalty to owners.  They would let you open a store across the street from another existing one.

Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 11:42:54 pm »
They can close all their US stores and take their crappy food internationally.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 02:29:17 am »
There was a time when we would go to Subway for lunch when we were working, at one time they were reasonably priced, then suddenly sandwiches and bread disappeared from the menu, prices went up and it seemed like almost every one we went to was mismanaged by Pakis we could barely understand that skimped on all the portions.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 03:01:44 am »
GNC is also closing a bunch of stores, "General Nutrition Center" will close about 200 stores in the US, they have about 1100 in the US if I remember correctly, over 3,000 around the world. I would say, they probably over-saturated the market some, too many stores whereas one in an area might work.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 03:43:08 am »
I almost opened a subway until I learned they have no loyalty to owners.  They would let you open a store across the street from another existing one.

I looked into putting one into a storefront I had 15 years ago. When I looked into it by the time you were done, the employees made more money than the owner. Easily one of the worst franchises in history.

BTW their food also sucks now that the novelty has worn off and their pitchman was thrown in jail.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 03:39:31 pm »
  They would let you open a store across the street from another existing one.

Why would anyone want to do that ???

Offline Applewood

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 04:28:31 pm »
GNC is also closing a bunch of stores, "General Nutrition Center" will close about 200 stores in the US, they have about 1100 in the US if I remember correctly, over 3,000 around the world. I would say, they probably over-saturated the market some, too many stores whereas one in an area might work.

GNC has had its ups and downs over the years.  These days, they seem to have a lot of competition.  At one time GNC was unique with its health foods and supplements.  Now you can find similar products just about anywhere -- supermarkets, drugstores and such.  I used to be a regular customer.  Now I can't remember the last time  I set foot in a GNVC.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 04:35:04 pm »
Why would anyone want to do that ???

@SirLinksALot

If they have deeper pockets and want you out of business. 

I had a location picked out.  After we decided not to do it another person did.  They took 40% of the business from the next closest subway.

Most franchises protect the individual store to help the owner be successful.  Subway doesn't.  They care more about number of stores then whether the stores make money.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.